Near/Middle East dance musics (vintage + modern)

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
i see you Padraig and raise you

seen, knew you'd throw down serious gear. like the way it heads off into clatter echo percussion space, v much my kinda thing (check that Khamis Henkish tune).

I'll skim those shaabi threads, def into checking mix or playlist or whatever if you find it.

kinda surprising how even today language is comparatively still such a barrier to anything with an other than Latin alphabet.

padraig (u.s.)

also I know that video above is amazing in the same way as the famous Russian wedding rap video, but I really can't legitimately recommend Derdiyoklar İkilisi highly enough

that is an hour of cosmic, flanged-out electro-saz disco folk. "disco folk" sounds dubious but then you hear + you're like ya that both makes sense + is awesome.

they were expatriates in Germany in the 70s and I have to think they picked up on some krautrock bits as well disco and obv Anatolian music.

can you imagine them playing your wedding tho

padraig (u.s.)

i compiled a stelfox asks about ethnic things compilation once

woah that's pretty cool as well. even if I am kinda like how can any one person really be into that many things. I'm a generalist mostly but you gotta prioritize.

the klezmer is what really puts it over the top.

luka

there's a cast iron law of nature that means serious record collectors always end at kitsch. a result of the same-but-different quest and the inevitable diminishing returns.

padraig (u.s.)

there's a cast iron law of nature that means serious record collectors always end at kitsch

this is one of my all-time favorite luka aphorisms, altho also it is just an alternate way of saying Record Collectors Are Pretentious Assholes.

luka

thanks padraig. it's been a very aphoristic morning. done loads today and it's only lunchtime!

padraig (u.s.)

thanks padraig. it's been a very aphoristic morning. done loads today and it's only lunchtime!

ya I can see

eff a blog, you should write a book of your collected one-liners. in 1000 years it'll be rediscovered by a tribe of feral post-apocalyptic children + become their most holy sacred text.

luka

yeah thats what ive started to think. instead of feeling i should learn to write paragraphs.

padraig (u.s.)

online translators are getting better and better tho

that's true but I think 2 things

1) google, YT, etc are still largely separated by alphabet. language too, but script specifically + more so. you can translate any page you can find to a reasonable approximation, but you have to be able to find them first. also, it's way harder to curate what you find. some of the deepest, weirdest YT holes I've found have been all Cyrillic script.

2) there's a big knowledge gap from the pre-online translators era, though that is maybe changing as more labels are doing reissues or specifically devoted (Pharaway Sounds, Habibi Funk, etc) to this kinda thing.

anyway, thx again for the recs.

luka

always been fascinated for sufis deep affinity with this part of the world. old fashioned level of identification and absorption. i cant leave london without being driven into paroxysms of hate and frustration let alone go abroad. travel is not for me.

luka

often toy with th idea of starting a thread about exoticism and othering and fetishisation and how i think it's great. the start of every deep love affair is projection onto the unknown.

padraig (u.s.)

ATTENTION SUFI

I'm pretty sure you + I share an obsession with that unique Baris K track

just wanted to let you know I discovered where he got those distinctive opening drums from. interesting source too.

listen to the first 10 seconds or so of that, then listen to the beginning of the Baris K track

idk I was excited when I made the connection. now we just gotta find the rest + figure out how he put everything together.

sufi

lala
always been fascinated for sufi's deep affinity with this part of the world. old fashioned level of identification and absorption. i cant leave london without being driven into paroxysms of hate and frustration let alone go abroad. travel is not for me.
not sure what to say, apart from i'm deeply appreciative :love::love::love: i'll be the last person to work that shit out