Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Near/Middle East dance musics (vintage + modern)

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    thanks padraig. it's been a very aphoristic morning. done loads today and it's only lunchtime!
    ya I can see

eff a blog, you should write a book of your collected one-liners. in 1000 years it'll be rediscovered by a tribe of feral post-apocalyptic children + become their most holy sacred text.

yeah thats what ive started to think. instead of feeling i should learn to write paragraphs.

he who speaks least speaks best

look at the Spartans. greatest one-liners in all of history.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sufi View Post
    online translators are getting better and better tho
    that's true but I think 2 things

1) google, YT, etc are still largely separated by alphabet. language too, but script specifically + more so. you can translate any page you can find to a reasonable approximation, but you have to be able to find them first. also, it's way harder to curate what you find. some of the deepest, weirdest YT holes I've found have been all Cyrillic script.

2) there's a big knowledge gap from the pre-online translators era, though that is maybe changing as more labels are doing reissues or specifically devoted (Pharaway Sounds, Habibi Funk, etc) to this kinda thing.

anyway, thx again for the recs.

always been fascinated for sufis deep affinity with this part of the world. old fashioned level of identification and absorption. i cant leave london without being driven into paroxysms of hate and frustration let alone go abroad. travel is not for me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

often toy with th idea of starting a thread about exoticism and othering and fetishisation and how i think it's great. the start of every deep love affair is projection onto the unknown.

ATTENTION SUFI

I'm pretty sure you + I share an obsession with that unique Baris K track

just wanted to let you know I discovered where he got those distinctive opening drums from. interesting source too.

listen to the first 10 seconds or so of that, then listen to the beginning of the Baris K track

idk I was excited when I made the connection. now we just gotta find the rest + figure out how he put everything together.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

This video is not available.
    bah!
    Last edited by sufi; 13-02-2018 at 08:33 PM. Reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g691XiyKKSU

often toy with th idea of starting a thread about exoticism and othering and fetishisation and how i think it's great. the start of every deep love affair is projection onto the unknown.
    do it

always been fascinated for sufi's deep affinity with this part of the world. old fashioned level of identification and absorption. i cant leave london without being driven into paroxysms of hate and frustration let alone go abroad. travel is not for me.
    not sure what to say, apart from i'm deeply appreciative i'll be the last person to work that shit out

Default there is a mastika hole

Last edited by sufi; 16-02-2018 at 12:10 AM. Reason: MASTIKA MASTIKA

cool J.P. Massiera-helmed uncredited reworking of "In Zaire"

not really trying to post outright Orientalism in this thread, but in true Massiera fashion, that hovers right on the edge

the bass player is Algerian or French-Algerian I think, maybe the singers too?

either way the music is pretty great, typical mid-80s Massiera wot do u call it boogie/italo/electro, in this case filtered a cosmic kinda dubbed out vibe