Near/Middle East dance musics (vintage + modern)

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
edits of 70s Turkish disco/rock, edits of Ahmed Fakroun, Omar Khorshid, etc, Baris K, Mehmet Aslan, Bouzouki Joe, Disco Halal, Habibi Funk, Omar Souleyman, Acid Arab, A-Wa, etc. Local Turkish, Arab (Middle East, North Africa), Persian musics recontextualized into a Westernish dance (disco, house, acid, balearic, whatever) context, sometimes by DJs, sometimes via edit/remix, sometimes via local or foreign musicians hybridizing. not totally new - Factory licensing "N'Sel Fik" (whence "we are ie") in the 80s is only one example - but definitely blossoming in the age of everything gets reissued/is on YT, and unlike some of those rediscovered (by Westerners) scenes, still a going concern with relevant contemporary figures. tbc not only am I not an expert, I don't even have a sense of the big picture like I do with, say, West African music. I just hear bits and pieces I like. I'll start us off with a few with minimal commentary. if there are any folks still around who know what's up, please drop the knowledge. it is definitely something I'm interested in hearing more of. when it's on it's like everything you've ever wanted music to be.

some/all of these may be known to experts or people who pay attention to certain areas of dance music. some of them I've known for awhile, some I only heard recently.

this is one is pretty famous I think. Turkish Disco Folk. the whole Moog Edits LP is pretty good.

padraig (u.s.)

seriously tho @ my dude shredding behind the back/head guitar solos inna Van Halen stylee. + the costumes. the extended drum solo.

one of those videos that is the reason YT exists

padraig (u.s.)

the single track that most exemplifies what this thread idea is about I think. if you know about more tunes like this, tell me asap.

padraig (u.s.)

the Acid Arab mix is also good, and this live performance is FIRE. could totally fit into an EBM/New Beat context, or Chicago/acid house.

is that crazy sounding instrument an electric oud? maybe a synth playing an oud line? someone less ignorant please tell me. I think hand-claps/shouting on the offbeat thing is a consistent feature of some Arab dance musics? features on the Tanki Tanki edi + I've heard it in some Souleyman tracks. also obv reminiscent of various kinds of American rap.

anyway, another please tell me if you know more tracks like this one

padraig (u.s.)

h/t to thirdform for hipping me to this one. Turkish Cluster/Neu plus Erkin Koray style heavy shreddin guitar. even more shreddin maybe.

padraig (u.s.)

I know I'm lumping a bunch of different things together but you see what I'm talking about

tbc clear that's a personal cream of the crop, I've also heard plenty stuff that's meh to pretty bad. the good stuff is so, so good tho.

probably just be me tossing up random jams as I hear em but maybe this'll draw out a lurking expert or two

padraig (u.s.)

all YT vids ofc welcome but if anyone has anything meaningful to say, that would also be cool. I know a bit of rai, dabke, etc but I'm pretty ignorant in general here.

padraig (u.s.)

alright, just me then (tho I see u, sufi - drop some jams!), no worries. can't all just be luka thread archaeology, as entertaining as that frequently is.

more funky kosmiche Egyptian disco, by high-level percussion master. this + next one remind of Ras Michael + the Sons of Negus, for whatever reason.

padraig (u.s.)

full-on tripped the fuck out intense percussion/whooshing electronics jam. I wish I could play this record for Walter Gibbons.

padraig (u.s.)

p cool mix, includes a couple of the people I've posted, as well as Ihasan al Munzer. if anyone knows the jam @16:53, holler.

+ that's all I have for the moment. there's also a buncha cool Turkey, Iran (prob Arab too but idk) fuzzy guitars, but that's a different thread.

back with more tunes as I hear em.

sufi

lala
I see u, sufi
i see you Padraig and raise you
i probably posted this before - starts getting great when adawia stops shouting "white honey, yr so sweet" 3 minutes in
this guy was king of egyptian sha'abi in the 80's
tbh i'm a bit out of touch, very much looking fwd to going thru these, thanks!!!

luka

i compiled a stelfox asks about ethnic things compilation once lol

stelfox
stelfox is offline Beast of Burden

Default tell me everything you know about music in cairo...

i'm going to cairo in july and am looking for places to go and check out good music, i'd like to check out some serious classical stuff but would also be very into going somewhere where people dance to plasticky super-poppy shaabi - the kind if stuff hesham abbas and all those dudes do. I'd like to know about places to buy music, names to look out for and all sorts of stuff. basically i want edumacating a bit before i go there. also if anyone has info on places to eat, that would be very cool too.

stelfox

Default arabic music
i've been listening to quite a bit of stuff that falls within this very loose category of late. i say very loose because i know there are all sorts of different styles practised withing the middle east, but mainly i've been checking for quite a bit of shaabi (hesham abbass, hakim, and on a more traditional tip, nas al ghiwanne - great live outfit, incidentally if you get the chance to see them) and rai (have been LOVING yah rayi, the latest album by khaled.

stelfox

Default turkish(?) street dancing music question

posted the-above-linked video on the sterns thread, but i want to know what kind of music these guys are playing, where i can buy it and who are the best names to look out for.
i don't even know for sure that it's turkish, but think it might be, given the area this was happening and the general musical style.
filmed this 2 weeks ago on west green road, near my new yard. was very cool to see and, for old dudes, they can really dance.

stelfox

i'm still down with the arcola street mangal ocakbasi - you won't find better than there.
and yes, would you all please quit with the restaurant talk untill my question has been answered!!!
(if nothing else i am seriously hungry at the moment and this is not helping.)

question answered on the other thread, as you were... any other good places to eat?
my stipulation is that they must do good lambchops and kofte.

stelfox

Default the world's best dancehall thread ever

okay, so i've been a bit quiet lately but i'm loving vybz kartel's faggot correction on the steps rhythm and pretty much everything on the indian summer right now. anyone else got any hot tips?

stelfox

Default dirty blues records

now, i know my muddy waters from my bb king, my howlin' wolf from my john lee hooker, but i'm sure i could go a lot deeper with this stuff. i want to try to track down some really filthy, raw mississipi delta blues over the next few weeks but know very little about where to start - anyone care to to drop some science?

Anyone here know about indian music?
I've been listening to lost of Panjabi Hit Squad, RDB DJs, Tigerstyle stuff lately and someone's asked me to write about it. Stuff that's going on now I can handle really well as I can see how it works and comes together in terms of contemporary British street culture - eg the convergence of bhangra and 2step garage/R&B/hip-hop etc. However, being white English I have realised that I have several HUGE knowledge gaps that need plugging... can anyone recommend any good stuff to read on more trad forms of bhangra and Indian music as a whole? (Concise and to the point with a good geographical, sociological and cultural bent that would be fab.) Also if anyone can explain a few key terms to me I'd be forever indebted - like what exactly is "desi"?

― Dave Stelfox (Dave Stelfox), Sunday, 27 April 2003 18:12 (thirteen years ago) Permalink

klezmer - what's good, what's not; what's funny, what's serious?
i've been downloading a lot of klezmer lately. i really like it but know comparatively little about it. i'm sure there are other threads about this but i'd like some tips. i'm quite into the idea of getting to know about the "authentic" side before i start delving into the more modern "comedy" stuff (have noticed tracks like "may the borscht be with you" etc), so com on, help me out... album names so i can buy some, good *old* recordings especially welcome, groups i should look out for, all that stuff... thanks

― Dave Stelfox (Dave Stelfox), Tuesday, 20 April 2004 10:55 (twelve years ago) Permalink

Tell me stuff about highlife music
I like it a lot, but only normally get to hear it in late-night Ghanaian cabs or occasionally walking thru East London. I'd like to learn more, so artists to look out for, albums to get hold of gratefully received.

― Dave Stelfox (Dave Stelfox), Thursday, 22 April 2004 10:18 (twelve years ago) Permalink