The TIME Barrier.

blissblogger

the ultimate reason why later remakes, especially of highly revered scenes/sounds - jungle, 80s hardcore, golden age rap - can never capture the original spirit. you can very studiously recreate the various sonic ingredients but you can't capture the essence which was of its time, also the original wasn't studied in the same way.

compare these Sonz of a Loop videos

and

with this

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
compare these Sonz of a Loop videos

o ya the reflection of the incandescent energy of a living scene with a pastiche thereof. corpse-rifling the battlefield, albeit sometimes well-done.

where were u in 92 for people not yet born in 92.

that Scuba video actually reminds me more of The Groove Is In the Heart video than anything.

luka

like devilman is most famous for his clash with skepta scuba is mostly famous for his clash with dissensus.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
not that there's necessarily anything wrong with corpse-rifling

idk in general I'm favor of kids doing whatever they want with sacred cows of yesteryear

that scuba things + things like it just seem so calculated. plus legitimacy is a slippery concept but the artificiality of something that was organic grates.

droid

What interests me is the inability to detach sonics from culture, the stasis engendered by knowledge. An endemic condition amongst music critics, collectors and commentators. Play tunes to kids and you dont see the same biases. My 5 year olds three favourite tunes are Be my baby, 99 red balloons & Roar by Katy Perry.

I was at a reggae gig a couple of years ago with a few serious selectors on the decks - nothing serious, just a bar thing. There were two dudes on the decks playing a beautiful selection of roots and rock steady. I knew maybe 1 tune in 5, 1 riddim in 3. The tunes ranged from mid 60's to late 80s' but there was no time barrier, no nostalgia, no retro fetishisation, it was just vibes.

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

mass appeal was one of the first rap songs that blew my mind. that loop had some magic thing to it. it could have had it go round and round forever.
let's put it on now!
does it sound very dated? it means too much to me to tell.

asking whether it sounds dated and whether it feels dated are potentially different questions (essentially the distinction that this thread is trying to unpick). Obviously the drums, scratches, non-triplet non-autotune vocals 'date' it (if someone were to release it today it'd be considered a throwback), but it doesn't feel dated insofar as when it was made isn't interfering with my emotional connection to it. i haven't hit the time barrier when I listen to it.

on a side note gang starr and illmatic are revered by all the wrong people, but they're so stunningly great you can't really resent them for it.

sadmanbarty

E.g. "my melody" by rakim sounds more cutting edge than "mass appeal" say

more avante-guard rather than more cutting edge. it uses more abrasive timbres, it's more austere, it emphasises melody less (ironically enough), but it's so archaic that to my fresh-faced, sweet cheeked, youthful ears that it's not far off of 'the message'. certainly couldn't say that for mass appeal.

luka

so tempting to go what about when he says Haven't you ever heard of a MC-murderer?
but thats not really going to help matters is it

luka

“They never grow old, techniques become antiques better than something brand new ‘cause it’s real and in a while the style’ll have much more value”

luka

A brand new morn, no time to yawn
Shower's on, power's on
Late for school, I catch the train
Girls sip the style and whisper my name
I push up like an exercise
Check the intellect and inspect the thighs
Select the best one, pull her to the side
Keep her occupied for the rest of the ride
Read her my resume, she already cool
Just meet me after school
We can moan and groan until your moms come home
And you'll be calling me Al "Dope" Capone

love that 'read her my resume' line.

sadmanbarty

the thing is you could have a rakim verse with the chorus 'don't-push-me-cause-i'm-close-to-the-edge' and it wouldn't sound out of place. it's still rap made of playmobil blocks.

blissblogger

o ya the reflection of the incandescent energy of a living scene with a pastiche thereof. corpse-rifling the battlefield, albeit sometimes well-done.

where were u in 92 for people not yet born in 92.

that Scuba video actually reminds me more of The Groove Is In the Heart video than anything.

yes it's smack there in the middle between Deelite and Sonz. With perhaps a little i dunno Madchester vibes. Some S'Express/ Betty Boo.

blissblogger

in a retro-themed talk recently, i contrasted things like this

with the Scuba video and with these two

The Acen video can almost bring me to tears - those girl dancers

The Chase & Status one is a strange enterprise - so much trouble they went to. Period touches like people smoking in the pub before heading off to the warehouse raves around Blackburn or somewhere like that.

And then the Friendly Fires - I find it lyrically quite moving: the frustration of the young man sick of hearing from old men with their endless boring stories of glory days (Springsteen quote!) (in this case the song was inspired by looking at the comments beneath YouTube clips of old rave footage, on the lines of "kids today what do they know" etc) and also the defiance of the chorus "live those days tonight"

but that forget-about-history stance is completely undercut by the montage of insanely great old rave footage, people off their tits etc

sadmanbarty

hardcore continuum, sex revolts when i put it into them
shock and awe they be asking for more,
generation ecstasy when they lie next to me
definitely, i'm the best that's been
post-punk and the retro thing
stop all your big talk, i've written features for pitchfork