The TIME Barrier.

luka

contender for best record ever though. timing is probably better than anyone ever too. everything in its proper place.

luka

scansion. craners got a masters in english literature from leeds university. he can explain it.

luka

it's virtuoso stuff. but i guess you can say the same about Art Tatum and that's definitely sealed behind the TIME barrier.

gullivior
Published on Aug 16, 2010
no words...Art Tatum, the greatest pianist ever. Incredible Virtuoso and absolute Genius.

broadcast, Los Angeles 1940

sadmanbarty

it may well be an irreconcilable generational thing (or a me being dumb thing), but it's still got that limerick cadence and rhythm. within a couple of years rap had evolved beyond that.

luka

with a limerick the rhyme scheme you typically has the first two lines in one pattern
and the nexxt two with fewer syllables which creates what i think of as a kind of suspension
which is resolved by the return to the original pattern in the last line, which provides a resolution

sadmanbarty

sorry i won't be able to give you a very articulate description of what i mean. it's clunky. i've just skimmed through cuban linx, dare iz a darkside and the infamous and the flows flow much better. i don't know if you could say they're more converstaional. less limerick-like.

luka

well you play drums so and this conversation is very easily translated into drum patterns presumably. it's all dividing and patterning time.

luka

if you just look at line lengths here you can get a sense of what's giving you the limerick feeling i think

Follow me into a solo
Get in the flow - and you can picture like a photo
Music mixed mellow maintains to make
Melodies for MC's motivates the breaks
I'm everlastin, I can go on for days and days
With rhyme displays that engrave deep as X-rays
I can take a phrase that's rarely heard, FLIP IT
Now it's a daily word
I can get iller than 'Nam, a killin bomb
But no alarm - Rakim will remain calm
Self-esteem make me super superb and supreme
But for a microphone still I fiend
This was a tape I wasn't supposed to break
I was supposed to wait, but let's motivate​

luka

yeah of course but im not sure i view it as progression and think of rakim as being more naive.

luka

kool g rap is a much more modern mc and although hes very technical my guess is (would have to check up on this) that the rhyme scheme is more stable and fixed.