The TIME Barrier.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
i know what you mean, rakim (and kane) are both somehow stiff, they still represent rapping as a performance art, their function is more rhythmical augmentation despite their lyrical sophistication

i wonder if this evolution of rap style is tied in with the BPM of beats slowing down?

luka

it's helpful to look at someone incompetent to get a sense of how it works. talib kweli is good to look for the way he write too many syllables for the bar. they dont fit.

luka

any fixed scheme, in my frame of prejudices, is less complex and less impressive than an open scheme because a fixed scheme, no matter how complicated, essentially writes itself. you just need to find the words to fit it.

luka

so you have to wait for young thug till anyone approaches this level of understanding

luka

fixed is a set pattern you adhere too. in poetry all verse forms are fixed forms for instance.

luka

no one ever adheres to a completely rigid pattern obviously but its usually there providing a structure. just think of what is happening between the beat of the metronome

luka

isn't an open scheme just a collection of different fixed schemes yolked together though? :cool:

only in as much as each line would have a certain number of stresses and syllables, long and short sounds etc etc. these are questions of degree to some extent but it's still a useful distinction.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
Rakim = shakespeare, Young Thug = Allan Ginsberg

I would only question your contention that 'the words write themselves' in a fixed system.

EDIT: I've misquoted you, still I think I've got the gist

Last edited:

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
Sometimes it's harder to find the right words to fit a system than it is to just make up whatever system you like - cos then you can pick any words whatsoever, not to mention wearing a dress on your album cover, bloody whippersnappers

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
i guess it's a question of quality - it's easy to write a shit limerick, hard to write a good one

same with 'open systems' - easier still, in fact

anyway, this debate has gone thoroughly off piste from the main thread hasn't it?

it's gone too open system by far

luka

it's hard in the way a logic puzzle or something is hard. it's hard but it's not really writing. it's plumbing. (to steal and recontextualise a beckett quote)