The TIME Barrier.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
This concept was hovering around me last night as I listened to jazz in the park

I started off with some john coltrane or something and it was very jazzy - and I realised that I couldn't hear that sort of jazzy jazz without being repelled by the kitsch that's accreted around it (through no fault of its own). That's a time barrier. Never such innocence again.

And the more out there experimental stuff, even, seems laughable because I'm aware of the stereotype of the self-indulgent jazz wanker, prodded into orgasm by the sound of a brass cat being strangled by a drum kit.

BUT the less jazzy jazz sounds the easier it is for my modern ears to swallow.

I'm sure many people have the same barrier with classical. It's kitsch to them, 'dentist's music' as Crowley said. I don't have that problem with classical music at all but I do have it with jazz.

Are you trying to legitimise your racism here lmao.

A lot of trap is stereotypically laughable if you don't do drugs anymore. but part of music listening involves bucking the stereotypes that the tastemakers accrue. i hate libertarianism.

my problem with Bach isn't that it sounds like dentists music (that would actually be cool if it reflected the machinery in the dentists) but that it sounds so unbelievably cheesy to my ears. it's like being love bombed. corpse do you really like being love bombed?

Last edited:

luka

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-SK6cvkK4c0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:)

I was alway used to say, partly because I meant it, largely to wind up Anglo Australians, that Sydney would become a good city at the point it became an Asian city. They have the best clothes, they stay out all night without punching each other or puking, better food etc. They were really humanising Sydney at night. London now has a much bigger East Asian presence and its starting to have the same effect. Ways to use the city at night that don't just revolve around binge drinking, straight line acceleration to blackout.

luka

What that song has to do with this thread I have absolutely no idea but I'd be interested in what Barty makes of it. It's got a lot of ideas. It doesn't disgust me or creep me out.

luka

trap is stereotypically laughable if you don't do drugs anymore. but part of music listening involves bucking the stereotypes that the tastemakers accrue. i hate libertarianism.

Who wants to have a go at reconstructing the missing logic links here? What could it possibly mean? Where did it come from? How does each part relate to the other parts?

luka

Music is colloquially indolent if you don't eat eggs any more. But part of wanking involves bucking the habitual wrist rhythms of the bourgeoisie. I hate Columbo.

sadmanbarty

1)trap is stereotypically laughable if you don't do drugs anymore.

2) but part of music listening involves bucking the stereotypes that the tastemakers accrue.

3) i hate libertarianism.

1) trap music comes across as comedic when you're sober. only when intoxicated is it rendered more than that.

2) however maybe this sense of comedy is imposed on us by taste makers. the aesthetic boundaries they impart on us are restrictive and as such as listeners we should seek to rid ourselves of these boundaries.

3) libertarianism's 'live and let live' approach allows for bad concepts and ideas to flourish. a battle of competing orthodoxies is the most intellectually healthy framework to live in.

how's that third?

sadmanbarty

No whip, then pedal bike risk it, he flipped it, back out my shank and dip it, ballistic
Push in my shank and twist it, pebs in cling, that’s Oreo biscuits

CrowleyHead

What that song has to do with this thread I have absolutely no idea but I'd be interested in what Barty makes of it. It's got a lot of ideas. It doesn't disgust me or creep me out.

Third said "I don't wanna be Love Bombed" and I responded accordingly.

If anything you can go with the idea that there's a timeless notion of pop sugar rushes and that sort of obvious major key bombast of euphoria. There's nothing to it, and inevitably once you've been exposed to it enough times as you get older you find it embarrassing

DLaurent

I get this trying to watch film noir with my sister, all she notices is the wooden acting and slick back hair. Whereas, for me that's part of the appeal, same as with old time music. George Gershwin or whatever it might be, synths from the 70s. That it transports me back.

With hip hop or hardcore. I listened to it for so long that the 1994 jump in production doesn't thrill me like it used too, hence my knowhow becoming gappy around those years.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
1) trap music comes across as comedic when you're sober. only when intoxicated is it rendered more than that.

2) however maybe this sense of comedy is imposed on us by taste makers. the aesthetic boundaries they impart on us are restrictive and as such as listeners we should seek to rid ourselves of these boundaries.

3) libertarianism's 'live and let live' approach allows for bad concepts and ideas to flourish. a battle of competing orthodoxies is the most intellectually healthy framework to live in.

how's that third?

Very good, exactly what i was getting at.

But also on Bach's lovebombing for corpse. lovebomb techniques are one of the main weapons in the gaslighters arsenal. That's my aversion to it. at least a dominatrix will give it to you eventually.

luka

I'm not being mean third I'm a defender of your face to coin a phrase but work with us. Fill in the gaps or it's too hard

luka

You know I'm on the moral high ground here. I don't single you out. I'll do it to Barty when necessary. Be mean. Be abusive even but be coherent

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
oh, for god's sake Luke, what was the fucking point of that man.

We get it, corpse has an aversion to music heavily based on dissonance (some dubstep excluded) so how do we work with that rather than piling on me? Whereas even with 90s hip hop i prefer the beats to have a bit of a clashing vibe to them. of course i like smoother soul music as much as the next man but i like it in opposition to the rough and rugged.

Sorry corpse. not feeling good about constantly taking a pot shot at your value set. I'm sure you are frustrated with my value set as well.

I just get annoyed how it's common in the music press to have all these (well) frankly racist associations about jazz but classical music gets a free pass because it's white - now there's undoubtedly terrible jazz but noone will ever say bach is terrible, ever ever ever. I used to chat to a girl online who went to like, fucking cambridge and that (no not flirting she had a west london accent) and she had mates who were really really into classical and a few of them were like so earnestly (it's scary) all music returns to Bach. Really? All music around the world, even in the balkans? That's massively fucking presumptuous for one, and just great man of history.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

As the son of a musician, and someone who briefly tried to study at music school I can confirm that what Third says about the Bach stuff is very real.

This is admittedly one of my early bugbears on bullying Corpse, but a lot of people who accept something is very good and established as quality because enough people have proven and demonstrated it. Here's a personal anecdote:

I don't like A Love Supreme. It's a fine album but I don't like it all that much. Give me Interstellar Space or Ascension (which I heard first from Coltrane) any day instead. Now that's a personal choice by circumstance which is uncommon, I recognize that. But enough people have made A Love Supreme the canonical Value Over All The Coltrane and a good majority of Jazz. Devotees of this album get into a bizarre phenomenon of reverence and exhibit "Trane Face". They sit down, hands folded and stare forward in a severity and seriousness, they observe as a ritual. This is a man who is communicating from nirvana. This is not a man in their minds, as Miles Davis once remembered, who "picked his boogers on stage instead of playing sometimes". It becomes something ghastly that I'm sure Coltrane would've balked at in that he became Powerful and a symbolic moment, weaponized for the purposes of intellect.

Likewise, Bach has similar totemic value for people as 'intellectual' music which we know to be bunk and yet still frequently becomes a transmission of concepts and perceptions not from the time, but Mounted Onto It.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
it's just hierarchical shit ain't it. you set yourself a bar that has less to do with the merit of the music but that tries to retrofit all musical developments of the future to the 18th century. So Bach becomes more complicated than rap (that's the one they always hate don't they) ignoring that there is a 250 year and more passage of time. Bach becomes divorced from his aristocratic context and made into timeless music that *expressed *everyone's* needs in the 18th C. which is ofc bollocks...

Last edited: