Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: The TIME Barrier.

talk about bring a tear to your eye

it's like the rave version of The Clash coming to New York + doing The Magnificent Seven

at the risk of ridicule by true London OGs like luka, I think a couple of tracks off the 1st Streets LP also do a nice job of evoking rave nostalgia in a good way

Quote Originally Posted by blissblogger View Post
    With perhaps a little i dunno Madchester vibes
    before I forget if you/anyone wants to see Madchester nostalgia well done, can't recommend This is England 90 highly enough

the scene where they dance to Fools Gold at the provincial club night isn't on YT but this is

actually the whole This Is England saga is pretty much a masterclass in British pop culture nostalgia of the highest order

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    at the risk of ridicule by true London OGs like luka, I think a couple of tracks off the 1st Streets LP also do a nice job of evoking rave nostalgia in a good way
    yes because "Weak Become Heroes" is also saying something about the present - life after the dream

Quote Originally Posted by CORP$EY View Post
    the illusion of regularity when actually he's doing constant ducking and diving variations
    it took you guys long enough to get there but this is the essence of the greatness of Rakim I think

you could argue his influence was more delayed than Kool G Rap. lyrically lyrical stuff was done to death by the late 90s but lotta more recent things fuck with that kinda illusion

put me in mind of this

almost the polar opposite of the Scuba thing, in part b/c it's not just a collection of rave golden age signifers but also an evocation of the more universal experience of being on the cusp of adulthood, fucking around with your friends, creating the kind of memories you'll look wistfully back on 10, 20 years later. which after all is what people are really reflecting on. I also like how it manages to condense 20 years of nuum history into something that sounds contemporary (well 2010 contemporary) and not just like a pastiche. tbh I've always kinda thought that Zomby record sucked. plus how can you go wrong with Shola Ama.
    yeah that is much superior - nice evocation of something (although being in B&W as signifier of the past is a bit obvious)

but nostalgia is a legit subject for music - including nostalgia for music

all those "back in the day" rap songs

yes because "Weak Become Heroes" is also saying something about the present - life after the dream
    ya this is how I understood it - as a foreigner - looking back on your kidulthood phase and trying to recapture the magic

all those "back in the day" rap songs
    absolutely

I think the difference is, nostalgia is a universal human experience/emotion, while details of any era are specific to that era.

hence can't just capture the feeling with a bunch of lazy signifying cliches, but you can use those signifiers to tap into something more universal.

it took you guys long enough to get there but this is the essence of the greatness of Rakim I think

you could argue his influence was more delayed than Kool G Rap. lyrically lyrical stuff was done to death by the late 90s but lotta more recent things fuck with that kinda illusion
    i think everyone was much more interested in explaining how rakim might not sound great (a novel idea) than explaining why he was great (done to death)

i cant hear him as anything but great so it was like uh, what, how is that possible?!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Tbf Ive never for the life of me been able to get into Chuck D or KRS One despite recognising their importance

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    i think everyone was much more interested in explaining how rakim might not sound great (a novel idea) than explaining why he was great (done to death)
    fair point. what I should have said was that's a pure distillation of the defense of Rakim's greatness, one line that sums it up to naysayers.

after all it's much harder to prove the greatness of something everyone agrees is great, the way it took Bertrand Russell hundreds of pages to mathematically prove 1+1=2

14. The Following User Says Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Tbf Ive never for the life of me been able to get into Chuck D or KRS One despite recognising their importance
    for me KRS One is yes, Chuck D mostly no. did people really listen to Public Enemy for the rapping tho? I mean for the message yeah but the actual rapping

KRS One's style works really well over boom bap I think. idk if I've ever listened to post-BDP KRS.

I find them both hectoring I suppose. Give me Slick Rick and Rakim any day.

Doubt I've listened to enough of either though, really. Esp. KRS.