The TIME Barrier.

sadmanbarty

giant steps is 1960 so seems like a good dividing line.

i'm obsessed with drums so i personally jump on board once elvin jones and tony williams become prominant. other than that you're right. giant steps is essentailly taking the piss of bebop; it's a vision of the future without free jazz or modal jazz, it's just wizzing through more and more chords faster and faster.

luka

thats good.

seriously hate the whimsy of brit psychedilia too. incense and peppermint. hate sgt pepper etc. all of it makes me puke. all whimsy in music disgusts me.

luka

i'm obsessed with drums so i personally jump on board once elvin jones and tony williams become prominant. other than that you're right. giant steps is essentailly taking the piss of bebop; it's a vision of the future without free jazz or modal jazz, it's just wizzing through more and more chords faster and faster.

yeah i can see that. all that brushwork in early jazz is impossible to take seriously now for instance. the light touch. just think of period drama and actresses in flapper outfits

sadmanbarty

walking bass is another one

the bass on this sounds archaic

compared to this (this is probably a desert island disc of mine)

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
this is a dub record I like

has the knack all the best dudes had of using flourishes, production tricks, addition/removal, etc to make something interesting out of the primordial bass ooze

same way top class disco etc producers kept 8-10+ minutes of 4x4 interesting by constantly adding, removing, altering elements over the main hypnotic groove

important thing w/dub anyway is how thoroughly its mindset and technique/ideas infiltrated music production, especially dance music.

droid

The trails of Bebop, Hard bop, Parker, Miles & Coltrane flowering... IMHO '55-'65 is the golden decade for Jazz surely?

If you dont like 70's dub, you dont like dub. That decade has never been equalled.

luka

surely no one is suggesting theres any better dub in some other decade. that would be mental talk.

john eden

male pale and stale
I think the barrier moves back and becomes more porous as you get older.

Nick Kimberley who did one of the first reggae zines in the uk now reviews classical records.

luka

it's sort of about how far back you can time travel. it's not a question of 'old records i dont like' it's about where you can't get in there and live in it.

luka

there's some suggestions on the first page of this thread. but you're not thick. you dont need spoon feeding.