The TIME Barrier.

luka

whats a record? it's not a free floating hermetically sealed self-referential artifact detached from time and space. it contains information. it is a product of specific individuals, a specific cultural and historical moment etc etc. it communicates. it represents. it enacts.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
most baroque and romantic music. can't stand it. so twee. i only start to like classical when it gets more textural than the pleasing harmonies.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
a lot of 80s hip hop sounds really primitive to my ears but i'm hesitant to mention it as i get a DiY punk feeling from it that i've never got from the punk genre (excluding the weirder ends of postpunk.)

80s metal is so overblown but i've kinda come round to the conclusion that i don't really like metal anymore, i mean not in the way a metalhead would like it. i like noisy, angular and atonal shit, only time screamed vocals make sense to me.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
a lot of the 1967 psychedelic stuff completely fails to be psychedelic to me and more generally sounds tinny, nasal and horrible. most of it either sounds like americans being square and thinking they're getting freaky or british public school boys thinking monty python's funny and making music that reflects that. i've grown up with music where synth pads and samplers, etc. can create lush, immersive sound worlds so stuff from that era can't really cut it. who needs syd barret when you've got young thug?

Check Cluster. Check Conrad Schnitzler. first ash ra temple album. most of erkin koray's discography, Omar Khorshid, Kourosh Yaghmaie, real organic effortless psychedelia. Gentle Giant, Van Der Graaf and yes have their moments. as does King Crimson. Some Italian prog like Area, Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso, Il Balletto Di Bronzo. How could i forget Henry Cow. The Misunderstood. Les Rallizes Dénudés.

entertainment

Those are good suggestions. Some of the stuff that Syd Barrett wrote still grips me completely, too. It's deeply personal and that doesn't lose potency. It cuts through the foggy layers of time and resonates unscathed. "See Emily Play" or "Jugband Blues" are examples.

john eden

male pale and stale
whats a record? it's not a free floating hermetically sealed self-referential artifact detached from time and space. it contains information. it is a product of specific individuals, a specific cultural and historical moment etc etc. it communicates. it represents. it enacts.

Yes and our enjoyment of the record can be enhanced by our understanding of these things.

But that’s still enjoyment and not “living in a record”. Which rockabilly cosplay could be.

The idea that I, I white man pushing 50 who grew up in the Home Counties, can live inside “36 Chambers” or “King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown” but not Beethoven’s 9th or “Moanin’” seems a bit arbitrary.

luka

Yes and our enjoyment of the record can be enhanced by our understanding of these things.

But that’s still enjoyment and not “living in a record”. Which rockabilly cosplay could be.

The idea that I, I white man pushing 50 who grew up in the Home Counties, can live inside “36 Chambers” or “King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown” but not Beethoven’s 9th or “Moanin’” seems a bit arbitrary.

you might be misunderstanding me. which is my fault for being too lazy to fill in the gaps. dont be a literalist though, that's mr teas job.

luka

and sudden, unexpected sound on a record can make you jump. sound can make you alert, spike adrenaline levels. can arouse you. because the brain and nervous system is unable to distinguish between record and outside enviroment. the record is the enviroment. so you live within the record. of course you do. the fact that you're an white and from ilford is neither here nor there. couldnt be less relevant.

luka

this is one of the great things about dub and why it was so revolutionary. the way it plays with our sense of space and time. it is very aware of sound as enviroment. how we orient ourselves. the datastream which creates a world.

luka

maybe i take too much for granted and expect everyone to read my mind but assume this stuff is already part of everyones conceptual apparatus

luka

if you look back on my post in the first page for instance i ask where is the weight centered? a piece of music gives you a new body with a new carriage. a different distribution of weight.

luka

this is what bass is about. the weight low in the hips. think about how white carriage and posture is characterised. eddie murphy skits. clenched arse cheeks. overbalanced, not centred at the hips with the weight borne in buttocks. this is how music changes the world. lyrics are neither here nor there.

luka

huge amounts of information implicit in sound. culture can perpetuate itself through sound. no words necessary.

luka

you can subvert an entire society through music alone. people ask if music can change the world without noticing that it already has.

luka

this is what i was gesturing towards in my what is the 60s thread. return of the repressed. something bursts into (in white world)representation for the first time

luka

what about the time pulse? is the moment extended, stretched out, time expanding... think about the time pulse in music buddhist influenced traditions for instance. or how is time chopped up and patterned and how does that code the body. what does it mean to swing.