The TIME Barrier.

john eden

male pale and stale
I get all of the above (except maybe the last one) and I think you have expressed it beautifully Luka.

Maybe it's just semantics but I don't see a difference between total immersion in a record and enjoying it.

I also do really think it is possible to immerse yourself in music from any period although it can be a stretch or require learning or ageing or something. It's one of the compensations for being older.

I can definitely picture a time in the future when I'll be an old duffer who gets ASBOs for blaring out Opera or something and completely ecstatically losing myself in that.

There is a barrier but you can break through it sometimes.

luka

There is a barrier but you can break through it sometimes.

absolutely im not suggesting this is impermeable. if anything it's more about strategies for breaking through it. extending the reach of the imagination and the time machine.

john eden

male pale and stale
For me it's been a process of

1. getting deep into music generally with a voracious and promiscuous appetite.
2. drilling down with an obsessive monomaniacal focus
3. back to 1.

I like having little OCD projects to keep me happy. Went on a US Hardcore binge earlier this year and now doing the whole Fall album discography in order. Which is good because I've not really done "rock" for years. Some of the Fall stuff I've not heard for 30 years. Some of it was new to me... fun times.

sadmanbarty

turnarounds in jazz are a time barrier. These two are among the most gorgeous compositions ever, not at all all 'jazzy' (in the derogative sense), but then they have these cheesy turnarounds tacked on the end of them and makes it old man music again.

woops

is not like other people
I am baffled by this thread

because I want to hear music that sounds like the future. and live there. old music should sound more future than where we are now 2018. listening to walking bass and doo-wop i'd be listening to a nice snapshot of 19__ but that's different to what i'd actually like to hear. of course the future is found in unexpected places.

luka

because I want to hear music that sounds like the future. and live there. old music should sound more future than where we are now 2018. listening to walking bass and doo-wop i'd be listening to a nice snapshot of 19__ but that's different to what i'd actually like to hear. of course the future is found in unexpected places.

good post. underrated.

craner

Beast of Burden
I really like so-called 'Early Music' and trad jazz stuff like Sidney Bechet, boogie woogie piano, 20s music, but I do know what Luke means, I think.

A lot of stuff I grew up with and took me over that sounded "new" and was new (MBV, hardcore, jungle, early/mid 90s hip hop, 2-step) is more entrenched in my soul than older music I enjoy listening to and even love.

Nothing philosophical to add but it is a really interesting distinction that I had not considered before.

If I am even understanding the fine contours of Luke's argument correctly.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I don't find a time barrier with music so much, but in film it stops me from enjoying much that was made pre-1960. So much of the dialogue seems so stilted and characters' behaviour baffles me half the time (doesn't help that so much has to be left unsaid, in Hollywood at least, to avoid offending delicate mid-American sensibilities,leaving massive leaps of faith to interpret what's gone on). By The Apartment, I'm starting to understand what's going on.

craner

Beast of Burden
This is more of a thing for me because I have a reverse time barrier: all the films I really love and sink into are pre-90s.

luka

sometimes the mode of being a record proposes and embodies can either seem impossible now, thus presenting a barrier, or can seem an anathema, another barrier

luka

there was a time when you were expected to sit up straight. can anyone nowadays sit up straight? and who would even consider it desirable.

• Love
Reactions: sus

luka

Is that your way of saying I don't understand what you are going on about?

not at all. it's great to see you break your self-imposed choon of the day purdah and participate. can always use more craner here. but... i did sort of ignore the film digression and continue mapping out my own trajectory.... no offence

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'd like to contribute, I've written lengthy replies and deleted them, because I don't exactly get what you're driving at here. So apologies if this is all irrelevant or literalist...

If it's a question of musical taste I'd only point out what is probably obvious: that the time barrier is just one barrier among many to appreciation and understanding.

The self is an illusion which needs constant maintenance to ward off insanity. I am the sort of person who likes this. I am not the sort of person that likes that. (I am not an old piss drenched man who can enjoy Duke Ellington)

What is magical about music is that it can totally bypass all that shit sometimes and you realise you're the sort of person who can like a Taylor swift song or w/e. (Sometimes you have to keep these realisations a secret, even from yourself.)

Music is the great divider and unifier.

luka

which bit dont you get? i hate not being able to make myself understood. makes me think im going mad.

luka

hoped the explication on pages 1 and 4 was fairly clear, though not exhaustive, (only scratching the surface realy) maybe im kidding myself

craner

Beast of Burden
Luke always made me feel guilty for liking The Beach Boys.

But then I grew up on the beach. So, whatever! It was good.