Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: The TIME Barrier.

straddling the disco rap and drum machine boom bap era. Dr. Jeckyll + Mr. Hyde were on the ca. 80-81 Harlem World Crew disco rap records but also appeared in Krush Groove.

another Pumpkin production, this time drum programming rather than playing. there's a crazy breakdown about 4.5 min in, just stark drum rolls + claps.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    internet says its '89. would be remarkable for '80. less so for '89.
    oh sorry I meant Treacherous Three is 80. Ya Unique is 89.

the Unique record isn't revolutionary or anything, it's just very high-level late 80s random/fast/battle rap.

its unique with the uniquely slowed down break. i really like it.

it's hobbling the break like that that elevates it above the generic.

beat bop is a much more famous and name checked record but simple man as i am i think we're at the party is a lot better and a lot more fun.
    idk man I'd rate Beat Bop way higher, and I like it more, but they both have merit.

We're at the Party is disco rap guys stretching the genre, whereas Beat Bop is just Rammellzee's sui generis thing. different angles of the same thing.

it's hobbling the break like that that elevates it above the generic.
    ah I see now. ya the rapping is nothing special, it's just well-executed battle rap. it's just a dope overall record tho, you know?

I put it up as an example par-excellence of that sound.

i got a prejudice against weirdo music tho.

Rammellzee is wierdo music disco 4 is cool music. thats why i prefer disco 4.

in general I think productions styles/choices date things the most?

like droid + I had a convo a couple months ago in the drone thread about the drone + the drum being the oldest human music

like if I could travel back in time and see shamans overtone singing in some pre-historical past it's probably be great, but I can't stand 50s rock+roll

11. The Following User Says Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

Rammellzee is wierdo music disco 4 is cool music
    this is mostly true, tho I would argue that the brilliance of that era was how it was able to combine weirdness, functionality and coolness under one roof

like Rammellzee was in fucking Wild Style! you'd never get that ten years later

that goes in general, disco rap as a subset of early 80s NY club music, new wave, rap, post-disco, boogie, synth pop, etc all getting played in the same set at the same club

Disco rap is to Luka as gender issues are to Benny B and selfregarding selfloathing is to Corp$ey.

Two possible reasons minimal boombap sounds less dated 1) sampling had its primitive stage but the 808 sounded like an 808 straight out the gate 2) the rise of the south and the death of sampling (due to litigation) makes an electro infused record from 88 more in line with contemporary trends than a DJ premier record from 1995.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Two possible reasons minimal boombap sounds less dated
    ya I agree totally with both of those, especially #2. to me a lotta late 80s sample rap sounds way more dated than boom bap from 3-5 years earlier.

minimal drum machine related trends seem to always be popping up in rap? other people will know way better than me, but drill, jerk, etc

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    in general I think productions styles/choices date things the most?

like droid + I had a convo a couple months ago in the drone thread about the drone + the drum being the oldest human music

like if I could travel back in time and see shamans overtone singing in some pre-historical past it's probably be great, but I can't stand 50s rock+roll
    like i was saying on the page before this one voice is a huge factor in tying a record to a particular time. it's funny though becasue obviously the history of recorded music is only a few years in its entirety. just very condensed.