The TIME Barrier.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
We fetishize (justifiably/nobly) innovation and honour it in the past just as we yearn for it in the present.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
We fetishize (justifiably/nobly) innovation and honour it in the past just as we yearn for it in the present.

idk I don't. I respect it but I don't care about hearing "the future" like someone said up thread. whatever is the future now will be dated someday.

this is where dance music frequently paints itself into a career, the obsession w/the new leading people into these cul-de-sacs of exulting minimal changes to existing templates

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
idk I don't. I respect it but I don't care about hearing "the future" like someone said up thread. whatever is the future now will be dated someday.

this is where dance music frequently paints itself into a career, the obsession w/the new leading people into these cul-de-sacs of exulting minimal changes to existing templates

You're right - and I think it's to do with how many people first twig on to what's so great about dancing on drugs

That is - taking drugs and dancing

There's a musical infatuation which starts with a big bang

Chasing new sounds like I used to chase a buzz by downing horrendously dirty pills

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

yeah this is why i like a lot of electro, it hasn't done anything new for years, but i know what i like and that is a certain type of 80s machine funk.

does the idea of future still even sound relevant in 2018?

middle eastern jungle should have happened tho. cut up darbuka breaks.

sufi

lala
well yeah exactly. everything is interconnected and moves as part of the same time-current. and tracing that wave (and its countercurrents, eddies and stagnations) is a huge part of being a music fan. using music as a lens to view time and its metamorphoses.
your post on the other thread got me thinking that geography operates similarly on music, no? the academic lens bit especially

& is that why completist crate digging nerdism needs to exist? another defiance of the barrier?

luka

because I want to hear music that sounds like the future. and live there. old music should sound more future than where we are now 2018. listening to walking bass and doo-wop i'd be listening to a nice snapshot of 19__ but that's different to what i'd actually like to hear. of course the future is found in unexpected places.

this might not be saying exactly what you thought it was saying padraig. (hes my 'collegue from work')

padraig (u.s.)

does the idea of future still even sound relevant in 2018?

we live in the future. or at least its beginning. it's basically impossible not to live networked at this point. cyberpunk VR, biohacking, etc is all right around the corner.

I have a notion that VR is actually the artform of the future, at this point.

luka

your post on the other thread got me thinking that geography operates similarly on music, no? the academic lens bit especially

& is that why completist crate digging nerdism needs to exist? another defiance of the barrier?

1000%

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
You're right - and I think it's to do with how many people first twig on to what's so great about dancing on drugs

That is - taking drugs and dancing

There's a musical infatuation which starts with a big bang

Chasing new sounds like I used to chase a buzz by downing horrendously dirty pills

what *new* sounds are you digging in 2018?

even if new 2 u.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
we live in the future. or at least its beginning. it's basically impossible not to live networked at this point. cyberpunk VR, biohacking, etc is all right around the corner.

I have a notion that VR is actually the artform of the future, at this point.

yeah. the sounds of technology or the ability to hbear it is so established now. the bleeps and clangs are part of daily life now, even to non-music fans.

I'll only be a fan of vr if someone makes a paradise garage patch and i can go to work exhausted every morning.

padraig (u.s.)

the sounds of technology

upthread I said about Jimi Hendrix blowing people's minds in a way I can't conceive of my mind being blown by music now

how revolutionary early film was as a coalescing of various earlier art forms into something no one had ever experienced before

the printing press

etc

padraig (u.s.)

btw speaking of paradise garage the sound I discovered recentish is the post-disco era I keep going on about. am firmly convinced it was the greatest era of dance music.

how everything is best in the wot do u call it phase, that was the ultimate wot do u call it era

I knew about some of it but on the deep dive there is an incredible wealth of amazing tunes, plus it leads you down all kinds of cool avenues

the flipside of the postpunk thing of white gtr people embracing funk/disco/reggae/etc

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
yeah i listen to mixes and albums mainly these days when reading, and sadly there isn't enough pre-acid mixes, don't wanna be listening to fourtet or some other wanker thinking hes all that with his exclusive rare groove lol.