The TIME Barrier.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
straddling the disco rap and drum machine boom bap era. Dr. Jeckyll + Mr. Hyde were on the ca. 80-81 Harlem World Crew disco rap records but also appeared in Krush Groove.

another Pumpkin production, this time drum programming rather than playing. there's a crazy breakdown about 4.5 min in, just stark drum rolls + claps.

padraig (u.s.)

beat bop is a much more famous and name checked record but simple man as i am i think we're at the party is a lot better and a lot more fun.
idk man I'd rate Beat Bop way higher, and I like it more, but they both have merit.

We're at the Party is disco rap guys stretching the genre, whereas Beat Bop is just Rammellzee's sui generis thing. different angles of the same thing.

padraig (u.s.)

it's hobbling the break like that that elevates it above the generic.

ah I see now. ya the rapping is nothing special, it's just well-executed battle rap. it's just a dope overall record tho, you know?

I put it up as an example par-excellence of that sound.

padraig (u.s.)

in general I think productions styles/choices date things the most?

like droid + I had a convo a couple months ago in the drone thread about the drone + the drum being the oldest human music

like if I could travel back in time and see shamans overtone singing in some pre-historical past it's probably be great, but I can't stand 50s rock+roll

padraig (u.s.)

Rammellzee is wierdo music disco 4 is cool music

this is mostly true, tho I would argue that the brilliance of that era was how it was able to combine weirdness, functionality and coolness under one roof

like Rammellzee was in fucking Wild Style! you'd never get that ten years later

padraig (u.s.)

that goes in general, disco rap as a subset of early 80s NY club music, new wave, rap, post-disco, boogie, synth pop, etc all getting played in the same set at the same club

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Disco rap is to Luka as gender issues are to Benny B and selfregarding selfloathing is to Corp$ey.

Two possible reasons minimal boombap sounds less dated 1) sampling had its primitive stage but the 808 sounded like an 808 straight out the gate 2) the rise of the south and the death of sampling (due to litigation) makes an electro infused record from 88 more in line with contemporary trends than a DJ premier record from 1995.

padraig (u.s.)

Two possible reasons minimal boombap sounds less dated

ya I agree totally with both of those, especially #2. to me a lotta late 80s sample rap sounds way more dated than boom bap from 3-5 years earlier.

minimal drum machine related trends seem to always be popping up in rap? other people will know way better than me, but drill, jerk, etc

luka

in general I think productions styles/choices date things the most?

like droid + I had a convo a couple months ago in the drone thread about the drone + the drum being the oldest human music

like if I could travel back in time and see shamans overtone singing in some pre-historical past it's probably be great, but I can't stand 50s rock+roll

like i was saying on the page before this one voice is a huge factor in tying a record to a particular time. it's funny though becasue obviously the history of recorded music is only a few years in its entirety. just very condensed.

luka

like i was saying on the page before this one voice is a huge factor in tying a record to a particular time. it's funny though becasue obviously the history of recorded music is only a few years in its entirety. just very condensed.

like for instance, think of 'the garage voice' parodied by mc grindah in people just do nothing.

luka

E.g. "my melody" by rakim sounds more cutting edge than "mass appeal" say

yeah like i said earlier in the thread for those of you who were taking notes and not sitting at the back chewing gum and sexting like corpsey obviously has been
paid in full (1987) sounds far more modern than dont sweat the technique (1992, and may actually have 'walking bass' on it)

luka

like for instance, think of 'the garage voice' parodied by mc grindah in people just do nothing.

questions to ask when encountering music.
what movements and manners does it map out? what elegances does it encode? what excellencies?
what sophistications of understanding and attainment?
what does it aspire to?
what is the good life?
how is time structured? and what pace does it move at? what does it feel like to be in a body moving at that tempo, and in that rhythm? is this a fairground ride or is it otherwise?
can you imagine talking like that? walking like that? feeling like that? where is the weight centred? are you light on the feet? marching?
do you not like it? what is it to not like it? what is causing the discomfort?
do you like it? what is it doing to you that feels good? why does it feel good?
is it redolent of an era? which era? what is it that ties it to its time? or what is it about its time that is preserved within it?
a comportment? a psychological attitude? a bearing towards the world? how is that enacted in the music?

luka

'INsoide the ride' etc where did that come from? very odd. or think of all the strange strangulated almost comic (or explicitly comic) voices of the '80s.
heard across all genres. cameo to david syvian. again very odd. and where do they come from?