Thread: The TIME Barrier.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The TIME Barrier.

the time barrier is the invisble wall you hit when tracing music back through time. the historical point at which any pleasure becomes detached and scholarly, or patronising, or simply impossible to access. for instance whenever i allow woebot's enthusiasm for duke ellington to overcome me and i listen to one of his records i just feel im in a nursing home. warm piss turning cold on the sheets.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

was talking yesterday to the 16 year old sadmanbarty and he was saying how any hip-hop pre 94 is too early for him to enjoy. even sophisticated things like rakim.

my cutoff is ~1965. a bit earlier for jazz (whenever it starts getting free/weird).

oh big exception for classical music, avant-garde + otherwise.

otherwise ya I don't really like anything til drugs start influencing culture production.

I wrote this a while back to put on facebook to be ignored and get no likes and start no conversation. it's about this time question partly

questions to ask when encountering music.
    what movements and manners does it map out? what elegances does it encode? what excellencies?
    what sophistications of understanding and attainment?
    what does it aspire to?
    what is the good life?
    how is time structured? and what pace does it move at? what does it feel like to be in a body moving at that tempo, and in that rhythm? is this a fairground ride or is it otherwise?
    can you imagine talking like that? walking like that? feeling like that? where is the weight centred? are you light on the feet? marching?
    do you not like it? what is it to not like it? what is causing the discomfort?
    do you like it? what is it doing to you that feels good? why does it feel good?
    is it redolent of an era? which era? what is it that ties it to its time? or what is it about its time that is preserved within it?
    a comportment? a psychological attitude? a bearing towards the world? how is that enacted in the music?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

95% of Beatles songs are beyond the barrier for me and the later stuff more so than the earlier. I think the down to earth love song writing is more universal than the psychedelic stuff which feels so flat and uninspiring. Hendrix is another one. Any time I see someone doing those cathartic pleasure spasm faces with their eyes closed to Hey Joe, I seriously wonder what that person is doing with his/her life.

yeah this is the other aspect, that some things date in a way which doesn't correspond with linear time so that paid in full sounds more modern than dont sweat the technique despite the former being their first album and the latter being their last.

jazz before the 60's all sounds hokey. it only escapes that once the modality, atonality, suppressed harmonic function, etc. were introduced.

a lot of the 1967 psychedelic stuff completely fails to be psychedelic to me and more generally sounds tinny, nasal and horrible. most of it either sounds like americans being square and thinking they're getting freaky or british public school boys thinking monty python's funny and making music that reflects that. i've grown up with music where synth pads and samplers, etc. can create lush, immersive sound worlds so stuff from that era can't really cut it. who needs syd barret when you've got young thug?

this may well be dissensus heresy but a lot of dub from the seventies is wasted on me because the chords and melodies are too sweet and bubblegum. the idea of a music comprising of bass, drums and snatches of other instrumentation drenched in reverb and delay evokes something far more emotionally complex than the chords and melodies let it be.