Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dancehall Autopsy

Default Dancehall Autopsy

Everyone's got a grasp on why the hardcore continuum pegged it, but what happened to dancehall?

When did it die?

What killed it?

Who's responsible?

How did this happen?

(It'd also be nice if someone says that it's in fact not dead and then posts a few nondescript tracks that they wrongly feel signify it's continued health and vibrancy)

when did it die i didnt notice. timeline and examples pls

Dancehall has more life left in it than hip hop.

i dont keep up one bit i havent got a clue but im lsitening to some random soundcloud mix and 10 minutes in it sounds the bollocks still
    some tunes a few years old but not ancient
    https://soundcloud.com/nerdykid3/djs...8dancehall-mix

After years of tapping Jamaica's vein for fresh blood, US pop and rap just said fuck it and took the entire body.

This diluted essence was then dripped back, corrupting & destabilising the chemical balance of an island already reeling from the digital breakdown of traditional music distribution and irreparably damaging the influence ecology that had allowed dancehall to continually reinvent itself.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

I think it took a dive for a while around 2007 when everything was autotune and songs about dance routines.

But that's just my personal taste really, not an objective take on it.

After that I got very old and boring and camped out at Cafe OTO. so I have no idea what is going on bar the odd car going past and my daughter banging out tunes which seem to be dancehall inspired but are probably some new thing.

There is also an economic analysis worth pursuing. Around the same time the income people could make from JA music plummeted because people just downloaded it or bought knock off CDs from a man. Which could be a macro reason for the lack of innovation (whilst recognising how subjective that term is).

i think i just like the form and the voices so much i'll just like anything with very little discernment or discrimination

Great

Tony Matterhorn - Dutty Wine
    Gyptian - Hold You
    QQ - Take It To Them
    Beenie Man - Rum and Redbull

Rubbish

Busy Signal - These Are The Days
    Mavado - On The Rock

These are about the last tunes I actually know and I can't really be arsed looking into what I have missed. I think Hold You was 2010 so that would be when I ducked out.

After this Rodigan mainly stopped playing dancehall on his radio show too, which I think is interesting.
    Last edited by john eden; 15-02-2018 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    i think i just like the form and the voices so much i'll just like anything with very little discernment or discrimination
    Yeah I agree - it just great to hear the odd bit of it now and again but I have no desire to find out more about it than that.

rodigan was only playing soft stuff for many years before that tho and the soft stuff is the most boring stuff

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    Yeah I agree - it just great to hear the odd bit of it now and again but I have no desire to find out more about it than that.
    admittedly i dont seek it out either just good to know its there

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    rodigan was only playing soft stuff for many years before that tho and the soft stuff is the most boring stuff
    Yeah he left the proper Bashment to Goldfinger and people.

i was saying to barty my inlet was radio ragga fm station fm al that but i dont know if those stations stll exist and anyway i dont have a radio

Ed Sheeran PWNned the whole genre by effortlessly dropping the biggest dancehall banger of the decade

The shame of being outflanked by a ginger from the home counties destroyed what pride the scene had left

Sad!