Dancehall Autopsy

luka

it has been a massive presence in this country since my boy lolipop or something you know.

luka

i probs know more about current dancehall (noughties-now) than man in here

if im a hater cause i dont think ninjaman is a better mc than ice kid or d double e or whatever fair enuff

the whole point of you young people is you have to explain this stuff to us so we feel in touch. can you play your part please and we can tell you stories about going to a garage rave in 1998 or something.

luka

it's a village and we all learn from each other. the elders dispense wisdom and life learning and stories about that one time they went to a garage rave and in turn we leech off young persons life energy. everyone has a part to play. ta.

trilliam

oi trill that's a cop-out

slightly, im not an authority on this stuff far from it

but i dont like to see ppl rubbishing a genre they barely follow/listen to like that, especially with such confidence

john eden is definitely more qualified to be upset about this than me but man stopped listening almost a decade ago and is happy to see shots fired like come bro rep your set

will take corpseys ed sheeran comment for what it was i.e. bants, even then that tune is more symptomatic of the stale beijan (see what i did there) "tropical rhythms" which have become common place in US pop music, UK afrobeats etc, and less to do with actual dancehall/bashment

like alot of blurring going on but then again alotta genres have been stealing key elements off eachother for awhile now so maybe its fitting that we see it all as one amorphous blob rather than separating between this style n that one etc

trilliam

the whole point of you young people is you have to explain this stuff to us so we feel in touch. can you play your part please and we can tell you stories about going to a garage rave in 1998 or something.

im in my pretty late 20s bro im far from young now lol.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
my actual only IRL encounters with dancehall come from going to hipsters dont dance and swing ting nights (very) occasionally

i actually like what i hear at these things but i don't keep up with dancehall outside of that not really my thing

i know luka will say its not real dancehall cos they're white but i went on tour with heatwave a few years ago and the night in nottingham in particular was probably the craziest atmosphere i've ever witnessed in a rave/club situation - daggering and horns and whistles and all that good stuff, was super fun

i cheerfully admit my complete ignorance of current/recent dancehall and i'd welcome recommendations as always

trilliam

ill try and post some mixes in here later today and then pree the discusion

its not one i can add to outside of the beijan joke (hah!) but suttin id like to read as long as its credible

/ wasnt coming for u or anything like that m8

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
i never trusted this thread tbh barty makes these sort of outrageous statements every day just to shake things up a bit

like saying simon reynolds was a better rapper than rakim the other day e.g.

luka

i went to some of those heatwave things in whitechapel a long time ago, like when theyd have riko down or whatever. they used to post here (gabriel). i dont hate them but they're a bit happy clappy for me.

sadmanbarty

my plan for the thread was droid was going to say something ridiculous like it started going down hill in 1997, baboon or someone was going to say it stopped being interesting around 2004, luka was going to say mavado's good and then say his thing about masculine voices, corpse was going to post kartel's 'yuh love' and then insist his opinion should be disregarded and yaldrin was going to post some new stuff that was rubbish. after all that i was going to swoop in with the right answer and say alkaline was the last intersting figure in dancehall and popcaan's 'everything nice' killed the genre.

instead i've turned out to be a reactionary and corpse's turned into danny dyer

trilliam

masculine voices heh heh

popcaan and alkaline are cool, tommy lee is a name i hear ppl who knows whats good tout, aidonia as well but might be abit dated

was listening to that birdsongpower the other day and even though the guys behind it are a definite part of true dancehall it'd be a joke to put them in here

although maybe they bare mentioning for the way their careers are turning out i.e. the kind of music they're making as opposed to what they're not

which goes back to point john eden was making at the start of the thread before he decided to turn full pagan

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
I was their principal dancer

Joking aside I was doing an internship at a music promo company and I was just helping them set up (a lot of blowing up balloons, handing out air horns and whistles)/social media etc.

They are both lovely lads and their shows were great - absolutely packed with girls, biggest female-to-male ratio I've ever seen

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
there was a bit barty would have liked witnessing where a load of girls got up on stage and started doing sexy dances and then they were ushered off to the side room where muggins here was stood and i 'caught a wind' with marginally less confidence and style than one of those scrawny white policemen that always get photographed at notting hill carnival

it was a little glimpse of the high life though and i'll never forget it

sadmanbarty

i'm so proud of you corpse! you're like sandy at the end of greece when she abandons all her principles so she can sleep with john travolta.