Dancehall Autopsy

luka

there's basically always something good even if the particular style in the ascendent isnt exactly your cup of tea. even the tiny slice of time im trying to say is the worst is stuffed full of great music.

luka

capleton had gone all righteous and was putting out great stuff. anthony b put out some good stuff. heads high is the same sort of time. sean paul.
this sort of thing
feeling guilty for not keeping up now.

droid

worst period. with the crews. monster shack, scare dem, hasnt aged well. red rat, sounds a bit annoying. after them is elephant man era, mr vegas. lots of great commerical stuff. classic period.

Thats all mostly concurrent. Red rat etc were only big for about a year or so. You could say 97 was a bit duff I suppose, but what about badman sonata?

MI0000159066.jpg

MI0000195052.jpg

MI0000286457.jpg

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
my plan for the thread was droid was going to say something ridiculous like it started going down hill in 1997, baboon or someone was going to say it stopped being interesting around 2004, luka was going to say mavado's good and then say his thing about masculine voices, corpse was going to post kartel's 'yuh love' and then insist his opinion should be disregarded and yaldrin was going to post some new stuff that was rubbish. after all that i was going to swoop in with the right answer and say alkaline was the last intersting figure in dancehall and popcaan's 'everything nice' killed the genre.

instead i've turned out to be a reactionary and corpse's turned into danny dyer

Can't think of anything actually but I like the new bits that sound a bit like Jamaican Jagged Edge (I believe someone else described it like this somewhere?), Dexta Daps being the best example.

luka

well elephant man was in scare dem but then he becomes the biggest star a little bit later

sadmanbarty

worst period. with the crews. monster shack, scare dem, hasnt aged well. red rat, sounds a bit annoying. after them is elephant man era, mr vegas. lots of great commerical stuff. classic period.

2000-2003 was brilliant. capleton & sizzla on those austere, blippy riddims. then it all went world musicky and you had elephant man and kartel

luka

2000-2003 was brilliant. capleton & sizzla on those austere, blippy riddims. then it all went world musicky and you had elephant man and kartel

yeah it was. it's all good. on their funny little island with their prehistoric recording devices their sugar cane and marijuana. love it all.

luka

how innovative is it between sleng teng and say 1995? what are the major innovations?

luka

not saying it's not just interested in how people would characterise the developements