Atlanta Rap 2014-2016

luka

The rap Internet has its own currents and waves and weather patterns. It likes to single out and auteurise. Cam'ron, Gucci, Keef

sadmanbarty

we need to start moving towards a position of “barty’s the most astute, important music commentator of his generation”.

I said something that was off handidly dismissed. When I come to scrutinise the reasons why it was dismissed they evaporate to steam.

We need to reach a point when Barty says something you disagree with, your immediate assumption is that he knows something ir picked up in something you haven’t. The fault is with you and not him.

luka

Ol Dirty Bastard. They always have to have a cartoonish element to them. There's rules about who gets to recieve this treatment.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's true he was in vogue which is why I listened to him but I did actually fall in love with his music and genuflect before him

Not that any of these sound like Migos, just three examples of him on fire

luka

One of the interesting things about Bartys quest to auteurise Migos is that the Internet did it already, years ago. (Migos are better than the Beatles memes) Their cartoonish aspect was perfect for the Internet. But Barty is saying that was the wrong Migos. The Internet jumped the gun. They didn't find their feet/perfect their formula till much later.

sadmanbarty

One of the interesting things about Bartys quest to auteurise Migos is that the Internet did it already, years ago. (Migos are better than the Beatles memes) Their cartoonish aspect was perfect for the Internet. But Barty is saying that was the wrong Migos. The Internet jumped the gun. They didn't find their feet/perfect their formula till much later.

“Barty says” is actually I did say this time round.

luka

I'm not sneering btw. I like the quixotic aspect of the quest. I like that it goes against popular opinion. I like that it tries to canonise what most people consider unsalvagable and I agree with the aesthetic appriasal, at least in as much as I think you've isolated and identified the best Migos.

luka

Most innovative rapping since Rakim is not an argument you'll ever win but I think you will triumph in the wider sense, establish that particular Migos as a high water mark, important, etc

luka

Your reputation will be established on winning two arguments, two fights, the U.K. Drill one and the Migos one. Once the dust has settled there you'll have to work out what to do next. But that won't be for a little while yet.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The rap Internet has its own currents and waves and weather patterns. It likes to single out and auteurise. Cam'ron, Gucci, Keef

I dunno, Gucci Mane obviously picked up critical cred after the fact of his street popularity, but he was a hugely influential figure in rap 'forreal'. Migos, Future, Young Thug, all influenced and supported by him. Chief Keef arguably wouldn't exist without him, and UK drill wouldn't exist without Chicago drill. Of course, you can trace anybody back to a thousand other anybodys...

I suppose you must feel about Gucci Mane what I feel about Migos - perhaps an acknowledgement of their popularity and importance but without any real affection.

sadmanbarty

That’s the heart if the issue. People formulated their opinions when they were making this annoying childish music. Hence why crown could only see it as future swag.

There’s a whole bit after that where, as I say, they pioneered a rhythmic language unprecedented in rap. The stark difference between what rapping (in the US) is before and after them probably hasn’t been as big since rakim.

luka

I know what the argument is. I do get it. I do think you are the most astute music commentator of your generation actually. I think that you will win. Innovation is a hard one though because you don't have an obsessive interest in rap. You don't have that urge to listen to things you don't like to establish genealogies and timelines. I don't either. But that's the sort of thing you have to do to really argue about innovation. Who did what first, how are trends formulated and spread etc. That requires a more scholarly approach.

sadmanbarty

I know what the argument is. I do get it. I do think you are the most astute music commentator of your generation actually. I think that you will win. Innovation is a hard one though because you don't have an obsessive interest in rap. You don't have that urge to listen to things you don't like to establish genealogies and timelines. I don't either. But that's the sort of thing you have to do to really argue about innovation. Who did what first, how are trends formulated and spread etc. That requires a more scholarly approach.

Steam

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't study these things either but it seems to me that what really reinvigorated rap in the last few decades was the rise of the south and the spread of southern flows through all rap, globally... Which I guess coincided with the spread of southern production styles like trap. I guess this began in the late 90s when you had Biggie with Bone Thugs, Jay-Z with UGK, Cam'ron doing Bout It Bout It, etc.

luka

Nelly melodies?

T-pain/Kanye/Wayne with auto tune?

The popularisation of south style calm and response?

There's a multitude of contenders. I don't know how you would even begin. What metrics would you use? Being boring and serious.... Like I can't even imagine.

I'm a Barty supporter. I believe in Barty. I like the claim. I appreciate it. But its not a winnable argument. It's a good flag to wave to attract attention but not a winnable argument.

luka

I dunno, Gucci Mane obviously picked up critical cred after the fact of his street popularity, but he was a hugely influential figure in rap 'forreal'. Migos, Future, Young Thug, all influenced and supported by him. Chief Keef arguably wouldn't exist without him, and UK drill wouldn't exist without Chicago drill. Of course, you can trace anybody back to a thousand other anybodys...

I suppose you must feel about Gucci Mane what I feel about Migos - perhaps an acknowledgement of their popularity and importance but without any real affection.

Of course I'm not saying he doesn't have a real world influence alongside his distorted reflection on the Internet. All the people I listed do. All important, influential etc