Atlanta Rap 2014-2016

sadmanbarty

I’m winning right now.

There’s a lot of knowledge between the posters on this forum. Nobody’s come up with anything to say I’m wrong.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Innovation is overrated, discuss (5000 words)

Inevitable tedious literary comparisons:

Joyce didn't invent the stream of consciousness (he said he got the idea from a novel by Édouard Dujardin) but he 'perfected' it.

Shakespeare didn't invent blank verse. Flaubert didn't invent free indirect style...

sadmanbarty

I’m not neccasarily after it being winnable, just it being credible.

It’s not some ridiculous, ignorant or unfounded claim. There’s a lot to suggest it’s right.

sadmanbarty

Innovation is overrated, discuss (5000 words)

Inevitable tedious literary comparisons:

Joyce didn't invent the stream of consciousness (he said he got the idea from a novel by Édouard Dujardin) but he 'perfected' it.

Shakespeare didn't invent blank verse. Flaubert didn't invent free indirect style...

Make it a thread please corpse. Be balls to the wall about. Don’t qualify or apoligise fir what you’re saying.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
'In its purest sense, invention can be defined as the creation of a product or introduction of a process for the first time. Innovation, on the other hand, occurs if someone improves on or makes a significant contribution to an existing product, process or service.'

luka

I’m not neccasarily after it being winnable, just it being credible.

It’s not some ridiculous, ignorant or unfounded claim. There’s a lot to suggest it’s right.

I don't think it means anything tbh. I think it's empty. David Drak spends most of his time on Twitter making the same argument for Chief Keef. It's his signature move, the innovation thing. I think it's pointless. How do you measure the relative degree of innovation? How do you compare Migos with Pharoah Monch, Kool G Rap, Kool Keith, Chief Keef, Gucci? Can you really be bothered? Is it a fun argument?

luka

You're right in the broadest and most important sense. That what Migos do is unique, perfected, exquisite and, despite huge sales, fame, popularity, weirdly overlooked. The fun part is to get across exactly what it is they do and how they do it. To bring a piece of machinery, a mechanism, a clockwork, into focus so people can see it for the first time and understand it.

luka

To do that magic trick of, this thing you see with eyes glazed an unfocused as generic, now becomes moving universe in minature. You just have to learn to pay attention. That's the part worth doing. Most Innovative is an Unwinnable and most of all a tedious argument. The rap nerds would eviscerate you. It would never end. Ah, but Bobby OG first done such and such in '89.... Do you want that? No, fucking boring, who cares

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
You're right in the broadest and most important sense. That what Migos do is unique, perfected, exquisite and, despite huge sales, fame, popularity, weirdly overlooked. The fun part is to get across exactly what it is they do and how they do it. To bring a piece of machinery, a mechanism, a clockwork, into focus so people can see it for the first time and understand it.

Why are they overlooked?

Is it because they are irritating beyond belief? :cool:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This is what the innovation lens fails to perceive.

Look at that innovative way that chubby faced child is poking me in the neck while barking like a dog.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
My prior record here predicts that eventually I'll get around to listening to Migos and will have to eat humble pie in triple time

luka

Barty can make a good case for them. I like the way he hears it. I hear it differently after borrowing his ears. That's what I'm trying to say, that's valuable fun and worth doing.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
yeah I don't deny that

I think yoU need an initial burst of enthusiasm though to hang onto otherwise all the argument in the world is in one ear and out the other

Maybe next time I'm on acid (or more likely stoned) I'll give migos a blast

sadmanbarty

Luke gets very panicked when you suggest that the sensibilities of the 90’s are redundant or things have moved on. He inverts his whole personality from cosmonaut Thames shaman to David Mitchell.
This happened with futurism thread, the multicultural thread and has now happened because I mentioned Rakim.

I’m sorry Luke. Let’s put on some Curtis mayfield and forget the whole thing happened.

luka

Its not about the 90s. You couldn't even win an argument that put migos head to head with keef. Its a losing proposition. A waste of your energy. It doesn't lead anywhere. Total dead end.

luka

You haven't managed to convince a single human person. Because it's a nonsensical claim. I believe in the vision. I believe in the truth of it. You saw the migos swathed in beatific light and knew then that they were divine prophets from the future. That's gpod enough.