Atlanta Rap 2014-2016

luka

I've just started work. I just mean the strength of your arguments doesn't depend on who's the 'most' innovative, whatever that might mean. Soon you will be standing on top of the hill, king of the castle, but it'll be cos you taught people to listen to what is there. Think about what that argument would entail. Don't you think its tedious? History lessons. Cavils. Quibbles.

CrowleyHead

Migos 2.0 is something v. further refined from Migos 1.0, but I'd definitely argue there were people who helped make that happen who get none of the credit in their circle.

I'm saying Migos are Goldie I guess. Which isn't an outright dismissal of what they refined but like, I'm someone who like Luke mentioned, cares about the minuta and particular individual quirks and what was 'brought to the table' by associated people AND I also care about things v geneolocially. If I could make big dumb rap family trees all day I'd have a blast but it's true, it ultimately leads to petty squabbling because people want to competitively regard information.

I like squabbling with Barty on this subject because it is something close to my heart, not to get melodramatic, that I've tried to describe and refine my arguments for numerous times BUT there's also an understanding that Barty's irreverent, he's not trying to shout anyone down.

Sorry if this reads more anxious than I intend to come across; early morning response.

sadmanbarty

yeah, me and crowl weren't saying anything mutually exclusive before as far as i can tell. he was talking thematically and i was talking about rhythms and things like that.

CrowleyHead

There's a lot of stuff in rhythm and cadence I hear that's developments of earlier things that are based on stylistic tics of preceding rappers. Trying to point that out without deep immersion is pointless tho for me, it's like how I can't do that with Road Rap either, you're yelling "LISTEN TO THE SIMILARITIES" to no avail that anyone will hear it (or acknowledge if they do). Barty's got a sense of rhythm and counting from his musical training, which mine's like, next to nil.

sadmanbarty

I've just started work. I just mean the strength of your arguments doesn't depend on who's the 'most' innovative, whatever that might mean. Soon you will be standing on top of the hill, king of the castle, but it'll be cos you taught people to listen to what is there. Think about what that argument would entail. Don't you think its tedious? History lessons. Cavils. Quibbles.

i assume you mean "barty, if you publish something about migos in a proper outlet, don't say the rakim thing because lots of people will get fixated on that will distract from the more substantive things you're saying."

otherwise i can't see the fuss. i've endorsed race war on this forum, implied you were responsible for radicalising mohammad atta and misquoted a hadith in the context of reynolds liking rustie. a bold rhetorical flourish about rap shouldn't cause all this hullabaloo.

luka

Migos 2.0 is something v. further refined from Migos 1.0, but I'd definitely argue there were people who helped make that happen who get none of the credit in their circle.

I'm saying Migos are Goldie I guess. Which isn't an outright dismissal of what they refined but like, I'm someone who like Luke mentioned, cares about the minuta and particular individual quirks and what was 'brought to the table' by associated people AND I also care about things v geneolocially. If I could make big dumb rap family trees all day I'd have a blast but it's true, it ultimately leads to petty squabbling because people want to competitively regard information.

I like squabbling with Barty on this subject because it is something close to my heart, not to get melodramatic, that I've tried to describe and refine my arguments for numerous times BUT there's also an understanding that Barty's irreverent, he's not trying to shout anyone down.

Sorry if this reads more anxious than I intend to come across; early morning response.

Im just trying to say this kinda stuff really.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Barty's Migos/Road Rap piece is going to blow Blissblogger's UK garage piece out of the water.

Will be a bit like when Shawn Michael's mouthed 'I'm sorry' to Ric Flair before kicking his face off at Wrestlemania.

sadmanbarty

Barty's Migos/Road Rap piece is going to blow Blissblogger's UK garage piece out of the water.

the drill one's done.

now i'm trying to do the migos one, but after having spent so long in drill world, it all the american stuff sounds annoying. i'm trying to muster the barty of a year ago while actually being 2019 corpsey being poked with sticks by a fat kid.

sadmanbarty

How do you compare Migos with Pharoah Monch, Kool G Rap, Kool Keith, Chief Keef, Gucci?

The rap nerds would eviscerate you.

You couldn't even win an argument that put migos head to head with keef.

for the record if you sat me and david drake down to hammer out migos vs keef, i'd come out on top.

likewise rap nerds could send me as many youtube links as they like. i would, in very concrete musicological terms, swat them away like flies one by one.