Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlanta Rap 2014-2016

they all intersected and culminated in atlanta in the last few years, with different artists being defined how they balance those different elements, how much they have of each.

just post the whole thesis in one virtuoso unveiling and we'll all stand back, mouths gaping in awe and admiration and you will colect the plaudits.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    none of us have ever heard this music tho lol is john eden going to have an opinion on this? is leo? what about mr tea?
    what does craner think of atlanta rap post 2014?
    the whole point of you young people is you have to explain this stuff to us so we feel in touch. can you play your part please and we can tell you stories about going to a garage rave in 1998 or something.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

oi luke tell us why young thug's so good ideally using the phrase 'fixed schemes'.

you know how every badly written article on jungle has the word 'frenetic' in it so that the whole genre is linked with that adjective, (2-step=slinky) for me this stuff is 'annoying'

(this is my favourite passage ever of bad writing about jungle)

To my shame, I missed the beginning of jungle. I knew about it, and my old schoolmates were all over it, but getting it blasted on the crap stereos of their mums’ cars and on Dave from Romford’s tiny tape player, all I heard was a chaos of clatter and gunshots and distorted MCs and stop-start mixing. Yes, I realise that sounds great on paper, but compared to the by-now predictable solidity of house, techno and hardcore, it just seemed like a mess, and a scary one at that. I hadn’t been to the right events, and Brighton didn’t have any at that stage. It’s weird because a lot of my absolute favourite, played-to-death records were what you might call mutant breakbeat hardcore – Holy Ghost Inc., Friends Lovers & Family, Earth Leakage Trip, A Guy Called Gerald’s Juicebox tracks – only a whisker away from “real” jungle but the real stuff remained just beyond my levels of comprehension.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

i guess i'll just have to take solace in the fact that at some point reynolds is going to be sitting in his pants, listening to suzi quatro, eating a bowl of cereal and nodding in agreement with me as he skims this thread on his ipad.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

I'm interested in knowing why Atlanta rap is the way it is - why it isn't like New York, e.g. Not knowing the first thing about the city makes that difficult. Reminds me of the convo we had on here recently about how Brits can't really understand US rap cos it's so far removed from us. (Esp white middle class Brits like me)

https://www.npr.org/sections/thereco...tlanta-hip-hop

three words

skippa da flippa
    snmbsm
    @italkenoughshitonhere

14. The Following User Says Thank You to trilliam For This Useful Post:

i did this already lol
    i did this already lol

From I think for me describing young thug as an autotune artist is just wrongheaded and unfair. It's not a part.of the aesthetic in any meaningful way and neglects all the stylistic choices and tics which make him interesting.

It's the way he interacts with the beat which is important not the (imagined) textural/timbral quality of autotune

It's timing. It's the suppleness of the line. It's the hanging back and then sprinting to catch up. It's the variations in tone, pitch and volume, it's the (precise to the point of prissiness)
    placing of syllables, the open unfixed cadence, the micro hooks littered across every song- lines so rhymically satisfying that they act as stand alone hooks (eg this that, rich shit, I eat fish and grits in dream from barter 6 or, from the blanguage, I'm chilling at the studio these bitchs wanna fuck on the banana boat)

It's the swooning abandoned-to-bliss tone he can reach, gurgling bliss which is unique in rap as far as I know (pelican flys oh gawd oh gawd oh gawd is an example for you)

Plus ad libs, melody , use of negative space blah blah nlah

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread....hlight=pelican

where were you in 2015?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

crowley will be here later to do his thing about the rich kidz

that guy still mourning an atlanta future which never transpired.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

where were you in 2015?
    thinking rubbish internet rap was the best thing since the resection of christ

21. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

not that i rate the song or the video with comedy Sikh dancing in mustard velours.