Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlanta Rap 2014-2016

barty dont get despondent enthusiasm is infectious. sometimes all it takes to 'get' music is another persons enthusiasm for it. as a listener you need to keep changing the angle of approach with music. different perspectives till you find the one which reveals the centre. tuning the dial till you get a good reception.

don't worry handsome, i'll keep flying the flag. i'm the last champion of futurism in the western hemisphere. i'm the john connor of dissensus.

just dont want to see you downhearted. keep the faith.

can you post few of the best songs of the golden era 2014-now. the real pinnacles of perfection.

what were the precedents for it?
    e-40. the bay.

is there an official name for that thing where there's the main vocal and then behind it this constant backing vocal commentary of ad libs and nonverbal sounds - strangled rasps, Tourettic growls and chokes, whoops etc

that's an invention of the modern era you're talking about isn't it?

who did it first? Migos?

i concede that it might be verging on over-used at this point - like an Amen break circa February 1995 - but for now, for just little bit longer, i still love it, can't get enough of it

(in my jim jams but yet to pour a bowl of cereal)

I would say that a lot of the successful rappers and styles of Atlanta Rap 2014-2016 (Young Thug, in particular) can be traced back to the 'futuristic swag' movement of the late 2000s (Yung LA, D4L, Travis Porter, Rich Kidz). That's why Young Thug feels like Fabo. He builds on that stupid, fruity, futuristic style synonymous with unhinged personality and unbridled creativity. Young Thug is from outer space and, of course, Future is the astronaut.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crimedawgbylaw For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by blissblogger View Post
    is there an official name for that thing where there's the main vocal and then behind it this constant backing vocal commentary of ad libs and nonverbal sounds - strangled rasps, Tourettic growls and chokes, whoops etc

who did it first? Migos?
    I'd just call these 'ad libs' - no idea who ramped them up to this level (maybe they became more of a calling card in the mixtape era? Jeezy's 'Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs', Waka's 'BOW! BOW!'s, Gucci's 'Ayeeeyyyyyahhs', Rick Ross's WOOFs etc.?) - but Migos's drive me nuts... (Thinking now of Master P's 'UNNNNNNNNNNGH's)

I wonder if Noreaga's Superthug was a watershed moment in terms of screaming the same word again and again and again? Also his innovation of rhyming precisely the same words ('my pops just died' e.g.)

And Playboi Carti might be the first rapper who could be more accurately called an adlibber

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CORP$EY For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by blissblogger View Post

who did it first? Migos?
    Keef's coughing springs to mind.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by crimedawgbylaw View Post
    I would say that a lot of the successful rappers and styles of Atlanta Rap 2014-2016 (Young Thug, in particular) can be traced back to the 'futuristic swag' movement of the late 2000s (Yung LA, D4L, Travis Porter, Rich Kidz). That's why Young Thug feels like Fabo. He builds on that stupid, fruity, futuristic style synonymous with unhinged personality and unbridled creativity. Young Thug is from outer space and, of course, Future is the astronaut.
    yeah youre stepping on crowleys toes now cos this has been his hobby horse for years.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

have to talk about jeezy if youre tracing the rise of the ad lib. he actually mentioned them by name in a song thereby drawing attention to their existence (theyve always been there obviously)

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    Was it innovative? If so what was innovative about it? If not, what were the precedents for it?

Was it paradigm shifty?

Was it a golden age of rap comparable to the mid-90's? Did it in any ways exceed the mid-90's?

What were some of the best choons to come out of it?

(Not strictly Atlanta by the way)
    2014-2016 was when the creativity DIED.

Also crimedawg knows he's been following me for years.

Honestly before we get too far the links between Desiigner and Atlanta are drastically over-emphasized. Like yes, he's vaguely influenced by things Future and Thug do but he's also not at the same time.

You listen to this and ask yourself... how does he sound like an Atlanta rapper? He doesn't. He sounds like a kid who listened to Meek Mill's double-time and who does v. standard BK Punchline Rap a la Uncle Murda (which Bobby sounded like on most of his tunes)

Which, speaking of

I went on a tangent that Luka saw earlier in the week where I was v. obsessed with how rap writers/bloggers afficianado don't talk about how things in the scene are influencing others, it just gets very territorial over some arguable Major Force Of The Scene getting ripped off by lessers like no, Future is obviously a bigger rapper than Desiigner, there's no point in worrying about how Future affects Desiigner. Nobody cries about how Bryson Tiller affects Drake.

For Simon since he's lurking, and the older rockists, it'd be like crying about OH THAT NASTY KILLING JOKE IS RIPPING OFF JOY DIVISION. Joy Division were (and are) more important and successful like... who's threatened?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to CrowleyHead For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CrowleyHead View Post
    2014-2016 was when the creativity DIED.
    oooh barty are you guna take that? defend your thesis! quickly listen to some -Yung LA, D4L, Travis Porter, Rich Kidz- on youtube so you can confidently dismiss them out of hand.