Atlanta Rap 2014-2016

luka

it's what seperates us from the cud chewers, the bovine herd, the bleating emasculated flock.

blissblogger

Atlanta's a car city like LA

very new-built, huge skyscrapers, freeways, exits, sprawling suburbia, really hot

like LA, in many ways, but they say the vibe is completely Southern - less cosmopolitan

(i went there in the 80s for very brief visit - didn't get much of a sense of the Southernness - but did feel the size of the place, and encountered heat like i'd never experienced before)

but i think the car thing is a big part of the sound - if i was living in NYC or London i don't think i'd be able to hear it fully

this easy rolling flow of the beats and the voices - and the sound kinda oozes out of the speakers and fills up the sound-space of the car

driving at night especially it sounds amazing, like you're in this little cocoon of futurity - especially if you have a dashboard that's got the glittering multi-colored ever-shifting display of fuel consumption, diagrams of the engine, etc

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

This is only going to be about the vocals, I’m not even touching on the instrumentals.

There are a number of factors that define the sound of Atlanta in the last few years; rapping in triplets, fragmented flows (quick bursts of single clauses, rhythmically disconnected from one another), the emphasis of ad-libs (particularly in how they interject in between the fragmented flows), explorative and contrasting vocal timbres, to a lesser extent playing around with pitch (using it in neither a melodic nor conversational way) and the non-melodic use of auto-tune (this is arguably the least significant and most precedented component, but it does offer something when combined with the other components).

Being generous you could argue that some of the tracks Crowley posted every now and then somewhat incorporated some of the techniques I’m talking about, but they’re not doing so to any significant degree, nor are they using multiple of these techniques simultaneously in the way the post-2014 stuff is.

I’ll give Luka this for his bed time and by the time he takes up I will have posted some examples to explain what I'm on about.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
was the migos flow sui generis when they came out, then?

i remember they were considered a novelty act at the time of 'versace' and you couldn't have told anyone they'd be one of the biggest rap acts in the world in 2018

(Not watched this video)

comment from Reddit re: this video

Side note: The disappointing part of this video for me is that another "historian" credits the triplet flow to Three 6 Mafia and Bone Thugs-N-Harmony while completely ignoring that Freestyle Fellowship was flipping that style in the mid 80's.

luka

droid posted that video last time we were trying to discuss this stuff. i didnt watch it either lol

luka

remember noz doing that big thing (with downloads) on raheem the dream? you couldnt listen to it other than as historical research (quaint) but it was interesting.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
Good point - they've never really clicked for me

I don't dislike them or think they're overrated I just have never been particularly hooked by them

luka

that's how i have them situated in my mind although i owned all their albums except the last one and when i look back there's lots of songs i like. something weirdly ugly and clumsy about andre, something unsatisfying about how he does it that always stopped me really loving them.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
people absolutely revere them don't they perhaps that's a stumbling point for me

obviously in school days 'ms jackson', 'hey ya'... etc. were massive

still love this one

but in terms of their more straight rap stuff ('aquenimi' 'atliens') i'm an ignoramus

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
There are books but is Corpse gonna buy a book? (I kid, though seriously Roni Sarig's "Third Coast" was legitimately great at breaking down regions and moments effortlessly. History, background culture, rap scenes. It follows Outkast as the Big Narrative which ofc it might but it still works well enough at explaining the details, biased as it might be)

Heyyy I might actually buy this

A nice break from torturing myself with the western canon

luka

i was the first kid i knew to have the first outkast album. got it when it came out. make sure they put that in my obituary. atliens is their best album thouh

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
the funny (well actually probably TYPICAL) thing about my rap education is it took place when i was too young to buy much music and you had to buy music, in my case from an HMV or OUR PRICE that you had to get several buses just to get to

as such there are big gaps that i've never filled - sometimes, in the spotify/youtube era, it suddenly hits me out of nowhere that i can finally listen to all these albums that were never available or i couldn't afford...

so i own the first outkast album on CD (southernplayalistic...) and that never really took for me, which probably put me off buying the others, and here we are today

if only i'd had an older brother/sister to guide me so i didn't waste my money on analog brothers and louie logic CDs

luka

i had a mate whos big sister made him grow his hair long like a girl and listen to James. the grass isnt always greener.

luka

mind you a couple of years later she discovered raving and stuffed him full of e's