Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atlanta Rap 2014-2016

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Atlanta Rap 2014-2016

Was it innovative? If so what was innovative about it? If not, what were the precedents for it?

Was it paradigm shifty?

Was it a golden age of rap comparable to the mid-90's? Did it in any ways exceed the mid-90's?

What were some of the best choons to come out of it?

(Not strictly Atlanta by the way)

a big shift has been this turn to fragmentary flows comprising of quick bursts of staccato triplets being broken up with lots of interjecting ad-libs. like people trying to make 'hold on se22 mix)' with their voices alone; it's the same sort of effect.

doesn't account for young thug though, he doesn't do much of this.

the chrosu on this reminds me of hold on too

shutting my self up here EDIT
    Last edited by CORP$EY; 27-02-2018 at 09:28 AM.

i am interested in exploring the idea (half-baked, if that) that Atlanta has become as stultifying a hub of influence on rap as new york once was

but i suspect i'm just sick of hearing 'skrt skrt' adlibs

and sick of life, in fact

it's not a novel opinion but i do think that the reverence of the past is what's holding back la and new york. think about yg following up krazy life with a g-funk throwback album. gs9 were the closest i think of reconciling the past with something more contemporary. you can tell it's new york without being nostalgic.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

three words

skippa da flippa
    snmbsm
    @italkenoughshitonhere

9. The Following User Says Thank You to trilliam For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    a big shift has been this turn to fragmentary flows comprising of quick bursts of staccato triplets being broken up with lots of interjecting ad-libs. like people trying to make 'hold on se22 mix)' with their voices alone; it's the same sort of effect.

doesn't account for young thug though, he doesn't do much of this.
    get right witcha is amazing.

whats the best migos thing to listen to?
    cultureís not very consistent but it's where they reach their psychedelic peek:

reynoldís favourite:

hold on se22 mix:

yrn 2 isnít as innovative, but itís probably the best lp overall. crowley says itís the best thing theyíve done.

this is their peek in terms of conventional rapping:

donít think youíll like it, but i think no label 2 is them absorbing 1017 thug a little bit:

some good instrumentals on it:

get right witcha is amazing.
    Yeah, I think it was listening to that one that made think that they were descended from heaven. All those cherub flutes. Otherworldly.

Sent from my iPhone
    Mike Tysonís bite (Ah urr ah urr)

Sent from my iPhone
    whos the one with the last verse on get right witcha? hes shit

assess the gucci verse in this migos context. prefer it? sounds old?
    i fucking love this one

why are you working? put it off till tomorrow
    takeoff, the most traditional rapper out of migos.

gucci verse is dire. not really a fan of him in general though. iíd say itís ignoring migosí innovations. theyíre staccato, they rap in single lego blocks, theyíre todd edwards samples, whereas gucciís verse sounds like slime down tiles; a singular, viscous substance flowing as one.
    takeoff. shittest name. i could have worked it out if id thought about it. obvious innit
    todd edwards samples excatly.
    migos are the apathetic version of this

do you like this?

i really like it even yachty
    i like it, donít love it. itís not transcendental and psychedelic like my favourite stuff by them, just a bit of fun. ad lib calling joe budden a pussy always makes me laugh, like playground humour.

i made the mistake of trying to find redeeming qualities of yachty, sort of though he was like millenial hauntology and thought that might be interesting. actually only ended up liking the stuff where he wasn;ít doing that sort of thing:

todd edwards/migos comparison is genius. spot on.

Migos kinda reminded me of the black vocal group tradition that started with doo-wop and crossed over into soul. Quarterts and trios - lotso Lots of emphasis on vocal pyrotechnics rather than lyrics as such. I suppose Bone Thug are part of this lineage to.

My fave by then:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    Was it innovative? If so what was innovative about it? If not, what were the precedents for it?

Was it paradigm shifty?

Was it a golden age of rap comparable to the mid-90's? Did it in any ways exceed the mid-90's?

What were some of the best choons to come out of it?

(Not strictly Atlanta by the way)
    2014-2016 was when the creativity DIED.

Also crimedawg knows he's been following me for years.

Honestly before we get too far the links between Desiigner and Atlanta are drastically over-emphasized. Like yes, he's vaguely influenced by things Future and Thug do but he's also not at the same time.

You listen to this and ask yourself... how does he sound like an Atlanta rapper? He doesn't. He sounds like a kid who listened to Meek Mill's double-time and who does v. standard BK Punchline Rap a la Uncle Murda (which Bobby sounded like on most of his tunes)

Which, speaking of

I went on a tangent that Luka saw earlier in the week where I was v. obsessed with how rap writers/bloggers afficianado don't talk about how things in the scene are influencing others, it just gets very territorial over some arguable Major Force Of The Scene getting ripped off by lessers like no, Future is obviously a bigger rapper than Desiigner, there's no point in worrying about how Future affects Desiigner. Nobody cries about how Bryson Tiller affects Drake.

For Simon since he's lurking, and the older rockists, it'd be like crying about OH THAT NASTY KILLING JOKE IS RIPPING OFF JOY DIVISION. Joy Division were (and are) more important and successful like... who's threatened?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to CrowleyHead For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CrowleyHead View Post
    2014-2016 was when the creativity DIED.
    oooh barty are you guna take that? defend your thesis! quickly listen to some -Yung LA, D4L, Travis Porter, Rich Kidz- on youtube so you can confidently dismiss them out of hand.