Atlanta Rap 2014-2016

luka

you know how every badly written article on jungle has the word 'frenetic' in it so that the whole genre is linked with that adjective, (2-step=slinky) for me this stuff is 'annoying'

(this is my favourite passage ever of bad writing about jungle)

To my shame, I missed the beginning of jungle. I knew about it, and my old schoolmates were all over it, but getting it blasted on the crap stereos of their mums’ cars and on Dave from Romford’s tiny tape player, all I heard was a chaos of clatter and gunshots and distorted MCs and stop-start mixing. Yes, I realise that sounds great on paper, but compared to the by-now predictable solidity of house, techno and hardcore, it just seemed like a mess, and a scary one at that. I hadn’t been to the right events, and Brighton didn’t have any at that stage. It’s weird because a lot of my absolute favourite, played-to-death records were what you might call mutant breakbeat hardcore – Holy Ghost Inc., Friends Lovers & Family, Earth Leakage Trip, A Guy Called Gerald’s Juicebox tracks – only a whisker away from “real” jungle but the real stuff remained just beyond my levels of comprehension.

sadmanbarty

i guess i'll just have to take solace in the fact that at some point reynolds is going to be sitting in his pants, listening to suzi quatro, eating a bowl of cereal and nodding in agreement with me as he skims this thread on his ipad.

luka

i did this already lol

i did this already lol

From I think for me describing young thug as an autotune artist is just wrongheaded and unfair. It's not a part.of the aesthetic in any meaningful way and neglects all the stylistic choices and tics which make him interesting.

It's the way he interacts with the beat which is important not the (imagined) textural/timbral quality of autotune

It's timing. It's the suppleness of the line. It's the hanging back and then sprinting to catch up. It's the variations in tone, pitch and volume, it's the (precise to the point of prissiness)
placing of syllables, the open unfixed cadence, the micro hooks littered across every song- lines so rhymically satisfying that they act as stand alone hooks (eg this that, rich shit, I eat fish and grits in dream from barter 6 or, from the blanguage, I'm chilling at the studio these bitchs wanna fuck on the banana boat)

It's the swooning abandoned-to-bliss tone he can reach, gurgling bliss which is unique in rap as far as I know (pelican flys oh gawd oh gawd oh gawd is an example for you)

Plus ad libs, melody , use of negative space blah blah nlah

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=13508&page=10&highlight=pelican

where were you in 2015?

luka

barty dont get despondent enthusiasm is infectious. sometimes all it takes to 'get' music is another persons enthusiasm for it. as a listener you need to keep changing the angle of approach with music. different perspectives till you find the one which reveals the centre. tuning the dial till you get a good reception.

sadmanbarty

don't worry handsome, i'll keep flying the flag. i'm the last champion of futurism in the western hemisphere. i'm the john connor of dissensus.

luka

can you post few of the best songs of the golden era 2014-now. the real pinnacles of perfection.

blissblogger

is there an official name for that thing where there's the main vocal and then behind it this constant backing vocal commentary of ad libs and nonverbal sounds - strangled rasps, Tourettic growls and chokes, whoops etc

that's an invention of the modern era you're talking about isn't it?

who did it first? Migos?

i concede that it might be verging on over-used at this point - like an Amen break circa February 1995 - but for now, for just little bit longer, i still love it, can't get enough of it

(in my jim jams but yet to pour a bowl of cereal)

I would say that a lot of the successful rappers and styles of Atlanta Rap 2014-2016 (Young Thug, in particular) can be traced back to the 'futuristic swag' movement of the late 2000s (Yung LA, D4L, Travis Porter, Rich Kidz). That's why Young Thug feels like Fabo. He builds on that stupid, fruity, futuristic style synonymous with unhinged personality and unbridled creativity. Young Thug is from outer space and, of course, Future is the astronaut.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
is there an official name for that thing where there's the main vocal and then behind it this constant backing vocal commentary of ad libs and nonverbal sounds - strangled rasps, Tourettic growls and chokes, whoops etc

that's an invention of the modern era you're talking about isn't it?

who did it first? Migos?

I'd just call these 'ad libs' - no idea who ramped them up to this level (maybe they became more of a calling card in the mixtape era? Jeezy's 'Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs', Waka's 'BOW! BOW!'s, Gucci's 'Ayeeeyyyyyahhs', Rick Ross's WOOFs etc.?) - but Migos's drive me nuts... (Thinking now of Master P's 'UNNNNNNNNNNGH's)

I wonder if Noreaga's Superthug was a watershed moment in terms of screaming the same word again and again and again? Also his innovation of rhyming precisely the same words ('my pops just died' e.g.)

And Playboi Carti might be the first rapper who could be more accurately called an adlibber

luka

I would say that a lot of the successful rappers and styles of Atlanta Rap 2014-2016 (Young Thug, in particular) can be traced back to the 'futuristic swag' movement of the late 2000s (Yung LA, D4L, Travis Porter, Rich Kidz). That's why Young Thug feels like Fabo. He builds on that stupid, fruity, futuristic style synonymous with unhinged personality and unbridled creativity. Young Thug is from outer space and, of course, Future is the astronaut.

yeah youre stepping on crowleys toes now cos this has been his hobby horse for years.

luka

have to talk about jeezy if youre tracing the rise of the ad lib. he actually mentioned them by name in a song thereby drawing attention to their existence (theyve always been there obviously)