Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Marvel Films

has any film in the history of cinema been more dedicated to aesthetic potency than joel schumacker's batman forever. lighting, outfit, set designs. every inch of it is beautiful.

come to think of it, is it the film that most embodies the rave revolution?

finally, is there a better batman film?
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

I liked Burton's first one a lot, that strange sense that it's set in some parallel universe where the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s and 80s occurred simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Sounds good. Bring the dvd round mine tonight. I'll get some popcorn. Maybe order a pizza. Get a few Morretis.
    Blanked. Jilted.

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    has any film in the history of cinema been more dedicated to aesthetic potency than joel schumacker's batman forever. lighting, outfit, set designs. every inch of it is beautiful.

come to think of it, is it the film that most embodies the rave revolution?

finally, is there a better batman film?
    Batman & Robin obv.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CrowleyHead For This Useful Post:

'As I observed the gods of the Marvel Cinematic Universe stomping across the big screen in Avengers: Endgame, each of these titans representing their own endless continuum of brand affiliations and corporate raison d’etre, the cacophonous tableau in front of me was contrasted by a stillness inside. During what alcoholics call a moment of clarity – to borrow words spoken by Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction– revelation dawned that this is what popular culture means in 2019. Endgame and its predecessor, the equally and intensely mediocre Avengers: Infinity War, are the defining cultural texts of our time.'

https://dailyreview.com.au/avengers-...-cinema/82852/

And so on.

Going to see it later today, and despite this guy being onto something, I'm looking forward to it!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

I still haven't seen them all, but I watched Iron Man 3 the other night and thought it was the best of the three. The twist with Ben Kingsley was cool.

Saw it last night - not the best Marvel movie, not even the best Avengers movie, but very entertaining and even moving (in a shallow sort of way).

The thing about these movies, I've realised (especially having started watching 'Batman vs Superman') is that they're basically a TV series with a megabudget. They have a standardised and fairly bland look, they're not directed by director-directors, so visually they're fairly uninteresting. What really makes them enjoyable is the character relationships, the performances and above all the humour. When they try to be serious in the new one it sometimes works, but often it just feels (to an adult) a bit ridiculous. This is why Guardians and Thor: Ragnarok have been big standouts in the MCU.

One thing I'd say about this latest movie is that its so unrealistic and insane that I don't think you get much of that propagandist bent that we've been talking about in this thread. Although there was a throwaway line early on that actually hinted at what would have been a fairly radical idea - that the world COULD be better if the population was halved. (As sinister as that might be )

"#AvengersEndgame In 8th-century B.C., a blind, half-mythic bard named Homer captivated the ancient world with his tales of heroes, gods, and men. Not much happened in the world of storytelling for the next two millennia. I'm happy to say that our long wait is over."

I'm watching Infinity War tonight and

A) I really like it a lot more than I remembered. It's so witty and affable.
    B) I've realised what is obvious to many I suppose - the reason these marvel movies are so ugly and stodgy and lacking really brilliant action sequences - the mixing of CGI and live action. Of course! The directors, if they have skill, can't really use it due to limitations of angles etc. And on top of that, the CGI has to be made blurry and messy in order to merge convincingly with the live action. So you get this sort of ugly unreal hybrid. Which they've been improving but it still is something inescapably unreal and therefore often ugly and often unmoving. The actors and the dialogue is where you're being convinced of "reality". And the more crazy the characters get the more CGI has to be used.

One exception to this rule is Ant Man. The Ant Man movies have somewhat better action because they can use the scale so inventively, particularly comically.

There are action sequences which on paper could be amazing but in CGI form are muddled and bland.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    It seems that every other film out of Hollywood is a super hero one and I am the only one resisting this inevitable juggernaut with my non-watching protest.
    feeling like this is no way to live
    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    It says bless the lads and it means bless the lads.
    https://manifestacionesoterica.bandcamp.com/