Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: labour + antisemitism

i know youre a good lad that's why i dont want to fight you. i just want to show you how the game works so you can play along. its the best game. the most fun and enjoyable game.

it is exactly about seeing patterns. tugging on a thread, change the pattern.
    please dont think the game is about antagonising people. that's not the motive or the goal.
    it's kinder than that. it's lots of fun.

You didn't invent it. I've met loads of people who play that game. I find it boring once you can't tell what's a game and what's real.

of course i didnt invent it!

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    it is exactly about seeing patterns. tugging on a thread, change the pattern.
    please dont think the game is about antagonising people. that's not the motive or the goal.
    it's kinder than that. it's lots of fun.
    But you do antagonise people on purpose - sly little digs all over the place (or not so sly actually). I'm just wondering why.

for me the alternative is to allow yourself to ossify. to fall into role and rote and seize up. to fall victim to the classic middle aged diseases of pomposity and prickliness and rigidity and perpetual outrage. to turn purple in the face.

i think that kind of stiffness is the enemy of life and happiness.
    i think it's better to be able to move a bit.

it's really hard, and i mean this, being a teacher and a leader.
    Well have you considered that people here might prefer to be interacted with as equals rather than being 'taught' and 'led'?

I mean, OK, you're clearly replying here still at least partly in your persona as Luka the Internet Guru, which is fine but if you're going to do that, then at least do it consistently. You can't be one of the spiteful popular kids and the teacher.

Alternatively, you could try parking your ego and stop trying to force Dissensus to be what you think it should be. You've been at this guru/sage/pied-piper schtick for well over a decade now - aren't you boring even yourself by this point? And isn't being boring the primary cardinal sin in your view of the world?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

for me the alternative is to allow yourself to ossify. to fall into role and rote and seize up. to fall victim to the classic middle aged diseases of pomposity and prickliness and rigidity and perpetual outrage. to turn purple in the face.
    But you're playing a role equally. And the other classic middle age disease is not realising that your criticism is not really about other people, but about yourself (and to be clear, I suffer from this too, maybe just in a less obvious way, at least on Dissensus - so I 'get it' at a visceral level). And then seeking to avoid this through ever more ingenious methods - which is aided immeasurably when you have a particular facility for language or another art.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    But you do antagonise people on purpose - sly little digs all over the place (or not so sly actually). I'm just wondering why.
    if you look upthread you'll see i mention i have a streak of sadism. i try not to let it be my dominant
    characteristic. there's two things which habitually lead to me coming a cropper. one is sadism the other is overinflated ego and the 2 go hand in hand. when i can keep them in check then i go really well... flying... then one or other or usually both make me do something that brings me down. that's how it works for me. that's the pull of gravity for me, that's what drags me down.

having said that it's something i first became aware of 20 years ago. seeing something doesn't always give you the magical ability to change it.

not in actual words admittedly. there was a void and i noticed it was, coincidentally, the same shape as me,
    so i filled it.
    Sorry but this has to be done:

rsz_amigara.jpg
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

@Luka, Definitely, I'm the last person who would disagree with that. Seeing one's faults intellectually and not being able to change them emotionally is a curse I'm familiar with.

But giving up on changing yourself, is like dying before physical death, so what else can you do but keep on trying, however uncomfortable it feels?
    Last edited by baboon2004; 12-09-2018 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Well have you considered that people here might prefer to be interacted with as equals rather than being 'taught' and 'led'?

I mean, OK, you're clearly replying here still at least partly in your persona as Luka the Internet Guru, which is fine but if you're going to do that, then at least do it consistently. You can't be one of the spiteful popular kids and the teacher.

Alternatively, you could try parking your ego and stop trying to force Dissensus to be what you think it should be. You've been at this guru/sage/pied-piper schtick for well over a decade now - aren't you boring even yourself by this point? And isn't being boring the primary cardinal sin in your view of the world?
    of course i know what you mean and again this is something i struggle with. maybe im kidding myself, it's a possibility, i might be completely delusional, but i think i have acquired knowledge and ability in a small number of related fields and when i am talking to other people about those subjects, people who, in my estimation know less than i do, i find it hard not to either be condescending and dumb my level down, or to play the teacher role.

if i were to try and discuss science with you you would be forced into the same position i think.

this is an interesting and useful discussion and id like to carry it on but like the last time i get into a massive row ive got radio to do. its the impersonal operation of a vast karmic bureaucracy.

"i find it hard not to either be condescending and dumb my level down" Try! Then people will appreciate your knowledge more.

Have a good radio session, put up the link later if you can