Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: labour + antisemitism

Default labour + antisemitism

Can someone explain the crossover here?

Is it just an accusation based on opposition to Isreal? Or is there some sort of weird left-wing/jew-hating interface?

i'd expect tories to be antisemitic tbh and communism was of course linked with judaism in the eyes of the the nazis (probably to at least some degree insanely)

Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

Leo

if you assume anti semitism is prevalent at all levels and in all sections of society then you divide all english people into two halves, one called labour and one called tories, it seems inevitable that each group will harbour anti semites.

it's just the right tends to support israel without question, the left not so much and anti-semites find refuge under a free palestine flag. im sure oliver will give you a fine grain historical run down with specific example etc though.

he is still bitter about oona king.

not lookin foward to this thread though

Quote Originally Posted by CORP$EY View Post
    i'd expect tories to be antisemitic tbh and communism was of course linked with judaism in the eyes of the the nazis (probably to at least some degree insanely)
    As was capitalism, of course. A cornerstone of Nazi ideology was that both Marxism and capitalism were "Jewish conspiracies".
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

We did this already. I dont think anything substantive has happened since.

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=13672&page=15

9. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

luka's right about it being found across society, although it does seem to be more prevalent among the extremes of right (as everyone knows) and left (which some people aren't so keen to acknowledge). Labour probably does get a disproportionate amount of stick on this score but it's perhaps inevitable given the dominance of right-wing media in this country and the fact that people expect a left-wing party to be more progressive about race and identity than a right-wing one. For all that, far too many people seem to think "But there are racist Tories too!" constitutes a reasonable response when some Momentum bellend tweets something ghastly about "Zionists" or whatever, when it clearly does not.

This is also part of the lamentable rise of conspiracy theory based politics.

The roots of some of this lie with new-Labour's toadying up to "community leaders" for the Muslim vote in the 90s:
    https://libcom.org/library/croissant...muslim-britain

Also social media.

My impression is that you would be far less likely to find anti-semites in the Labour Party than in the Tories and that the few examples which have been found have been exploited for political gain by opponents of Labour. But that is politics for you.

I say this as someone who is not particularly a fan of Corbyn or Labour.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to john eden For This Useful Post:

feel free to close the thread

i was being lazy instead of actually paying attention to the news

thanks for all your responses though

The Tories - and the Daily Mail - trying to outflank Labour (...or anyone else whomsoever) on the issue of race is as mind-boggling as Corbyn trying to outflank the Tories on relations with big business.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 01-03-2018 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    The Tories - and the Daily Mail - trying to outflank Labour (...or anyone else whomsoever) on the issue of race is as mind-boggling as Corbyn trying to outflank the Tories on relations with big business.
    That does appear to be happening now with Brexit though - he won cautious praise from the business community with the speech earlier this week.

Absolutely, that's what I was thinking of! An upside down world...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    As was capitalism, of course. A cornerstone of Nazi ideology was that both Marxism and capitalism were "Jewish conspiracies".
    Actually it was globalised finance capitalism they were against. they were fine with aryan industrial capitalism, and fine with enslaving slavs as an exploitable population.

the sino-soviet derived anti-imperialist left has always had this dark side to it, and its red brown face has only become more pronounced after 1989.

You can see this in corbyn's foreign policy, straight out of a cold war textbook.

What John says about labour kowtowing to muslim leaders is true but their (the leaders and orgs) antisemitism is often recycled from christian far rightests, Europe and USA, has been since the 1950s and earlier. It's not simply anti-jewish prejudice, it's the modern european version of the eternal jew crudely adapted to middle eastern dynamics. This actually disadvantages 90% or more of muslims, and hampers secularised abstract critiques from organically emerging in these communities.
    Last edited by thirdform; 01-03-2018 at 09:50 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post: