Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Questionnaire Everyone Must Answer

coke doesn't make music better but i must have listened to a lot of it due to it being fantastic for prolonging drinking sessions

on the creative side of things, coke has probably played a big behind the scenes role in determining the decline of various musical artists and genres

how many DJs have gone shit because of coke addictions, e.g.? coke is the perfect drug for a DJ cos it keeps you going when you're tired and it makes you comfortable with talking shit to complete strangers

also you have the disposable cash to buy it and you can use it to entice women/men back to your hotel room

IN THEORY

Favourite genre?

For quiet listening: Classical
    For loud listening: Hip-Hop
    For dancing: UK/US Garage

Most potently nostalgic music for you?

I think I brought up this concept of 'nostalgia for naivety' in a post about the Neptunes. The Neptunes make me feel it, as do certain schmaltzy Disney movie songs - and both are sources of genuine nostalgia for me, as Disney movies soundtracked my childhood and the Neptunes my late adolescence. I think nostalgia and naivety are somehow connected - because nostalgia is often (if not always) based on the feeling that things were better in the past than they actually were. Nostalgia is a sentimental emotion, an indulgent emotion. And at bottom I am a deeply sentimental person - warding off the sentimentality with irony and faux-nihilism.

This same 'nostalgia for naivety' thing is what I feel listening to rave music from the early 90s - that optimism about the future, which now seems somehow melancholy, because we live in the future and the future is in many ways awful.

I find optimism deeply touching, particularly if harmonically its leavened by a melancholy sense, as if with the anticipation of loss. So for example I find some of Michael Jackson's songs ('Rock with You', say) very emotionally affecting because they are sad songs about happiness. I guess that's the blues/jazz harmonies... But also can be found in a lot of classical music, such as Chopin, who I was totally obsessed with for years and years and listened to to the exclusion of almost every other composer. Beautiful, sad music. WISTFUL EVEN.

All of which is to say that, given the right harmonies, a piece of music can make me feel nostalgic AS I'M HEARING IT FOR THE FIRST TIME.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CORP$EY For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    Favourite genre?

all saints-pure shores
    This song actually makes me nostalgic for reals because I was the cliched western 'backpacker' in thailand for a month or so when I was 19 and the world was all before me

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CORP$EY For This Useful Post:

wistfulness and jazz harmony. i think i'm in love

Quote Originally Posted by CORP$EY View Post
    This song actually makes me nostalgic for reals because I was the cliched western 'backpacker' in thailand for a month or so when I was 19 and the world was all before me
    how sure are you it's still not?

Quote Originally Posted by CORP$EY View Post
    but but but that's the tune off the cliched western back packer in thailand movie isn't it? are you sure that you yourself are for reals, leonardo?

i should have explained, 'the beach' was playing in a cafe on phi phi one time i was in there eating noodles

Favourite genre?

Reggae

Most listened to genre?

Reggae

Favourite artist?

No

Most listened to artist?

Couldn't say.

Most potently nostalgic music for you?

Anything I had on tape in the mid 80s. John Peel stuff, goth stuff, indie stuff.

Favourite music memory?

GX Jupitter-Larsen destroying a tractor tyre with an angle grinder.
    Snow falling outside Cafe OTO whilst Elodie and Jessica Kenney/Eyvind Kang played.
    Iration Steppas vs Abashanti in a cold warehouse with yer trousers flapping and rib cage thumping.
    Seeing some anarchopunk bands playing a church hall as a teenager and being in awe of all the fully hatched weirdos.

Music you associate with your childhood?
    Muppet Show LPs
    Star Wars theme.
    Hanna and Barbera Jazz.

Music you associate with your mid-late teens?

Synthpop, goth, industrial.

Musical opinion most likely to piss off dissensians?

Techstep, breakcore and gabba are good.

That music is just music and probably not worth getting that het up about.

When was music last great?
    Last night

First time your jaw dropped listening to music?

The biggest one was Psychic TV's "Dreams Less Sweet" LP on headphones, under the covers, in the dark. Aged 16/17.

Last time your jaw dropped listening to music?
    Pat Thomas and Steve Noble at Cafe OTO, 15th Feb.

Music you associate with your children?
    Wu-Tang, Girls Aloud, stuff on cheesy Now compilations, bits of grime and afrobeat. Kehlani.

Music you associate with your parents?
    Both: Sgt Peppers, hymns.

Mum: Alan Price, chart reggae and disco.
    Dad: Classical, Duane Eddy, Tubular Bells

Music you associate with your partner?
    Big Beat, Jungle, Reggae, Johnny Cash. Things being turned down, lol.

When did you first realise you were into music more than others?
    Secondary school - like Martin said it was football or music really.

How did you get into the nuum/dancehall/rap side of things?
    I heard Tony Blackburn play "The Message" on the radio circa 1980 and loved that, so always kept any eye on hip hop throughout the 80s but was never fully into it.
    Acid House through Psychic TV etc stuff in 1988 but didn't have a car or many mates who liked that stuff so was a bit of a bystander. Kept an eye on techno and jungle and the like. Always liked the stuff with breakbeats in.
    Reggae just chugged along a bit really with things like Smiley Culture and dub tapes. I basically missed ragga until the big tunes like "Who Am I" and "Heads High" came out in 1997. Then went mad for it all.

Favourite live music experience?
    These days a really good gig in a small venue near where I live with good beer.

What music would you like people to associate with you?
    Just cool stuff that they haven't heard of, obviously. They actually think "weird stuff which is probably shit" though.

What have you been listening to recently?
    The Fall and Black Flag back catalogues in chronological order. Steve Reich. A load of reggae from Woebot. Bokeh Versions gear.

What music have you gone off after loving at some point?
    Industrial as documented in the "music for wrong 'uns" thread.

How avant guard can you go and still enjoy it sober?

I did not enjoy a particularly punishing set by Seymour Wright last year, to my surprise. He hurt my ears with a brass instrument and I was still angry about it when I saw him propping up the bar at Cafe OTO last week. Other than that, a fair distance.

Best drug-music combination?
    Dub + Weed, I mean come on.

What year does music start to be good?

Most embarrassing musical tastes of your younger self?
    Marillion? Howard Jones? It's only embarrassing if you are still hung up on being the coolest kid in the class though. (I wasn't and am not).

Music that everyoneís wrong about?
    Everyone is a lot of people.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to john eden For This Useful Post:

fully hatched weirdos
    love this phrase/concept.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    Black Flag
    save yourself some trouble + skip everything after My War

actually you can skip Damaged too, it's just an inferior version of The First Four Years

btw I'm sure the reality didn't nearly match the legend but I really would've loved to have seen some of those anarchopunk bands play live

extremely familiar with those kindsa fully hatched weirdos too

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post

actually you can skip Damaged too, it's just an inferior version of The First Four Years

btw I'm sure the reality didn't nearly match the legend but I really would've loved to have seen some of those anarchopunk bands play live

extremely familiar with those kindsa fully hatched weirdos too
    Yeah I agree with you about Black Flag. I like that Wasted Again comp but the later albums are quite bad.

On the other hand, iím up to 1995 with The Fall and there is only one terrible album.

The anarchopunk bands I saw were mainly local ones and not big names but the intensity was still great. Still inspiring that there was a group of young people doing all that (and flyposting, Street stalls, fanzines, squatting, graffiti etc) in the town where I grew up.

On the other hand, iím up to 1995 with The Fall and there is only one terrible album.

Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Which one?
    Shift-Work (1991). IMHO, like. Maybe hardcore Fall fans unanimously rate it.

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post

Funnily enough, I've always found Black Flag and Bad Brains well disappointing, especially for such revered acts with such fanatical followers. 'Police Story', 'Nervous Breakdown' and 'Pay To Cum' are all great, but never been able to make it through much else without getting bored and wanting to hear the Misfits or Angry Samoans instead.

Also disappointing that Henry "Pain is God" Rollins didn't really break that mirror on the cover and squirted some ketchup on his knuckles for the shoot. Even Sid was more 'ardkore.

the later albums are quite bad
    unfortunately that's the case with SST in general. actually it's the case with U.S. hardcore in general, at least until the 2nd wave kicks in ca. 1988ish.

(if you're interested btw I'm happy to make some U.S. hxc recs, for better or worse I have pretty much encyclopedic canonical knowledge on that front)