Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Questionnaire Everyone Must Answer

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    Funnily enough, I've always found Black Flag and Bad Brains well disappointing, especially for such revered acts with such fanatical followers. 'Police Story', 'Nervous Breakdown' and 'Pay To Cum' are all great, but never been able to make it through much else without getting bored and wanting to hear the Misfits or Angry Samoans instead.

Also disappointing that Henry "Pain is God" Rollins didn't really break that mirror on the cover and squirted some ketchup on his knuckles for the shoot. Even Sid was more 'ardkore.
    I rarely listen to a Bad Brains album all the way through, basically just go with Sailin' On, Banned in DC, Pay to Cum and Sacred Love. Black Flag I just do Nervous Breakdown, Rise Above and Depression.

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    Shift-Work (1991). IMHO, like. Maybe hardcore Fall fans unanimously rate it.
    It took me a while to get into Shiftwork - it's pretty polarising (speaking of which, wait til you get to 'Levitate' ) and am pretty sure I thought it was way too mellow/commercial when I first heard it.

I love it now, thought it took quite a lot of listens before it clicked - reminds me of summer '95 and me and my mate going on trips to Edinburgh and Glasgow on our National Express Youth Discount passes, and this was a Walkman fave for travelling back monged. Picks: whole thing, but esp. Idiot Joy Showland (which they used to play twice as fast live), Pitsville Direkt, War Against Intelligence, Book of Lies, Shiftwork, The Mixer.

Had some classic MES diss lines too: "You think your haircut is distinguished / When it's a blot on the English landscape". And slagging off Carl Lewis and Good Morning TV. "The working class has been shafted...so what the fuck are you sneering at?"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to martin For This Useful Post:

Funnily enough, I've always found Black Flag and Bad Brains well disappointing
    don't super disagree w/this tbh

Black Flag's rep really rests on the all the pre-Rollins singles, which are really good tbf, and also on Greg Ginn/SST's huge role in establishing U.S. diy hxc culture

Bad Brains real problem is they never recorded just a single killer record, besides the Pay to Cum 7", at the height of their formidable powers, and then once they did they were already in decline. Without Bad Brains there probably is no U.S. version of hardcore as we know it tho, they had the musical chops (from their jazz-funk background) to play super fast and still keep it tight, and thus inspired all the DC kids, which became the main hardcore blueprint.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    unfortunately that's the case with SST in general. actually it's the case with U.S. hardcore in general, at least until the 2nd wave kicks in ca. 1988ish.

(if you're interested btw I'm happy to make some U.S. hxc recs, for better or worse I have pretty much encyclopedic canonical knowledge on that front)
    Iíve had some fun with Husker Du, Minutemen, Bad Brains, MDC etc through the winter - filling some gaps. So am ok for now, but another thread for another day would be very cool.

It gets quite muso-ey after a certain point?

actually IMO Socal hardcore in general is way overrated, don't think any is really crucial beyond early BF, The Minutemen - Paranoid Time + Middle Class - Out of Vogue 7"

also Battalion of Saints but they were from San Diego

for hardcore Boston, NY, DC, SF >>> LA

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    It gets quite muso-ey after a certain point?
    you mean temporally, or in retroactive appreciation terms?

the first, yes. p much everyone went metal, goth, or alt-rock by 84. even the people who stayed hardcore got more muso (Minor Threat->Embrace->Fugazi).

the second, also yes. but, there was a lot of great dumb teenager music produced in that initial run. later too, but it's different cos it's self-aware.

the international variation is also cool but v much in Discharge lineage, until some Europeans got sick of it and did bandanna thrash (Larm, Ripchord, Heresy).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

(if you're interested btw I'm happy to make some U.S. hxc recs, for better or worse I have pretty much encyclopedic canonical knowledge on that front)
    Would be interested to see what you rate, as you seem to like a lot of similar anarcho/D-beat stuff.

My own extremely limited knowledge (and very possibly misguided opinions):

Angry Samoans - brilliant, though this may be due to overriding punk influence, and I haven't heard much of their later stuff, which might suck

Agnostic Front - great first chaotic 7", then gradually more boring and generic metal-sounding

Cro-Mags - shit

Negative Approach - couple of good shouty songs, and enjoyable 8-second song 'Pressure'. Apparently legends?

SS Decontrol - some OK riffs but hate the vocals

Negative FX - enjoyable, energetic, though not very memorable

Urban Waste - ditto

Heart Attack - pretty cool, I imagine this would be a lot more fun on a late-night train down the Bronx, shitting myself as gangs get on and off

No Thanks - really good with female vox, sounds like the band are genuinely pissed off and up for a fight

Youth of Today - only really know a couple. Remind me of GBH (not a bad thing)

So yeah, any recommendations welcome...

Bad Brains real problem is they never recorded just a single killer record...
    I Against I is pretty great, isn't it? Admittedly it's getting for an almost Faith No More-ish 80s hard-rock sound rather than punk/HC per se, but it's got some fantastic tunes on it. 'Return to Heaven' might be in my top ten rock tunes, come to think of it.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

So yeah, any recommendations welcome...
    my personal opinions. give a minute + I'll drop some more/general recs.

Angry Samoans - early stuff OK. tbf LA was actually good for that kinda still punk proto-hardcore, which is actually what the first Black Flag record is.

Agnostic Front - agree first 7" is great. First LP (Victim In Pain) also great. After that, bad. Also inspired generations of shitty tough guy NYHC.

Cro-Mags - The Age of Quarrel is great, maybe the canonical crossover LP. After that, bad.

Negative Approach - "Nothing" is the single greatest hardcore song of all time. The 7" is one of the top 5 hardcore U.S. records. The LP is pretty good.

SSD - LP is good. That part of the Boston scene had irritating tough guy vibes (i.e. Wolfpack), sometimes shitty politics, etc.

Negative FX - LP is great, better than SSD, high-level fast hardcore on the way to thrash

Urban Waste - "Public Opinion" is a personal fave, rest of the EP v good but marred but a couple of dumb sexist songs

Heart Attack - not my thing at all

Youth of Today - undeniably canonical, have a couple jams. Youth crew - the SXE style they inspired - v much not my thing. Also Ray Cappo inseparable from later Krishna incarnation

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

my personal opinions. give a minute + I'll drop some more/general recs.

Angry Samoans - early stuff OK. tbf LA was actually good for that kinda still punk proto-hardcore, which is actually what the first Black Flag record is.

Agnostic Front - agree first 7" is great. First LP (Victim In Pain) also great. After that, bad. Also inspired generations of shitty tough guy NYHC.

Cro-Mags - The Age of Quarrel is great, maybe the canonical crossover LP. After that, bad.

Negative Approach - "Nothing" is the single greatest hardcore song of all time. The 7" is one of the top 5 hardcore U.S. records. The LP is pretty good.

SSD - LP is good. That part of the Boston scene had irritating tough guy vibes (i.e. Wolfpack), sometimes shitty politics, etc.

Negative FX - LP is great, better than SSD, high-level fast hardcore on the way to thrash

Urban Waste - "Public Opinion" is a personal fave, rest of the EP v good but marred but a couple of dumb sexist songs

Heart Attack - not my thing at all

Youth of Today - undeniably canonical, have a couple jams. Youth crew - the SXE style they inspired - v much not my thing. Also Ray Cappo inseparable from later Krishna incarnation
    Cheers! Apologies, I just re-checked iTunes and I meant Youth Brigade, not Youth of Today.

Yeah, 'Nothing' is superb. Isn't that NA 7" with the Linda Blair pic worth a grand or something totally crazy?

Oh! And forgot to mention FEAR - but guess they'd be more in that LA punk / proto-hardcore vein too?

That footage of them on SNL is great

some other things I'd recommend highly

Minor Threat - everything is good, even the later records when they got back together. my favorite is the Filler EP.
    Faith - Subject to Change, also the Faith/Void split. Void was a cool weird band.
    Embrace S/T - the first "emo" record along w/Rites of Spring. basically Ian Mackaye + Faith. huge fan. not into Fugazi at all tho.
    White Cross - EP + LP both fantastic, but LP better. Awesome + underrated band
    Koro S/T EP
    Deep Wound S/T EP - J Mascis on drums, Lou Barlow on guitar. Ultrafast teenage thrash.
    Siege - Drop Dead. The original powerviolence record. Amazing. The equivalent of those proto-house records you hear from 8 years before house existed.
    State - No Illusions EP
    Necros - Conquest For Death
    Die Kreuzen S/T LP
    Husker Du - Land Speed Record for hardcore. Super fast and raw for 1981. Not the Husker Du you know.
    Fang - Landshark! "The Money Will Roll Right In", "Skinheads Smoke Dope", etc
    Poison Idea - Pick Your King
    Feederz - Ever Feel Like Killing Your Boss
    Really Red - New Strings For Old Puppets EP
    D.R.I. - first 2 EPs. maybe Dealing With It. Avoid everything after that.
    N.O.T.A. - Moscow EP
    7 Seconds - The Crew
    Bad Religion - How Could Hell Be Any Worse? Side 1 perfect, side 2 OK. Everything else sucks. Also kinda to blame for decades of pop-punk but what're you gonna do.

American d-beat
    Crucifix - Annihilation. Also one of the only real U.S. anarchopunk bands, pre-crust. Maybe my fave U.S. hxc LP.
    Diatribe - Aftermath EP
    Iconoclast - 1983 + 1984 demos, both awesome
    Battalion of Saints - Second Coming

hardcore not hardcore
    Big Boys - everything. Along w/The Dicks + Dave Dictor from MDC, the holy trinity of gay Texas punk weirdos (honorable mention to Butthole Surfers)
    No Trend - Teenage Love 7"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

That part of the Boston scene had irritating tough guy vibes (i.e. Wolfpack), sometimes shitty politics, etc.
    I never understood the 'crew' thing. There's some story about skins from Boston or DC going to NY, with Xs on their foreheads, and starting fights with any 'X'-free NY locals. Just territorial/regional rivalry, or did they really hate alcohol and beer-drinkers that much?

sure I left a few things out but that's p much my cream of the crop for U.S. hxc 79-84 or 85, after which it becomes a different thing

Fear ya in that punk/hardcore grey area. "New York's Alright If You Like Saxophones" is maybe the greatest punk diss track ever.

sure I left a few things out but that's p much my cream of the crop for U.S. hxc 79-84 or 85, after which it becomes a different thing.
    Cool, will check these out. You're the third Dissensus user I know of who's brought up that Deep Wound EP