Music Questionnaire Everyone Must Answer

martin

----
I'll give Shfit-Work another go, someone else said it was good too.

"Levitate" is interesting because whilst you don't think of The Fall as being a commercial band, it is very uncommercial by their usual standards. I think this might be the only Fall my partner has heard which is probably why she doesn't like them. Hearing me play "This Nations Saving Grace" was confusing for her.

I grabbed 'Levitate' the week it came out and was...proper gobsmacked. Remember thinking it had this extreme vibe that almost wiped out everything they'd done before. I love it - it's a shambles but with all these obsessive touches -probably the most 'industrial' thing (as in weird/obscure references, DIY production, anti-commercial effects, etc) they ever came up with, which might explain why some fans hate it. Can certainly see how your partner might not have been too enthusiastic about 'Inch', which is a million miles away from 'Edinburgh Man'...

The gigs were quite manic at that time too, culminating in the big NYC fight. I saw them around Xmas '97 at the Forum (started going to their gigs in '94) and that was the first time I saw MES wander off stage to sing from the back, and start fiddling around with the amps. Plenty of bets back then that he was drinking himself into an early grave.

'Levitate' was also the last Fall album I bought. Part of me still thinks, grannies on bongos befucked - they're not The Fall without Steve Hanley. Must admit really liking Bourgeois Town, Blindness, Sparta FC since, though. For me, the worst of the '90s stuff was "Cerebral Caustic".

Then again, most Fall fans would probably burn me alive as I think - shock, horror! - Hex Enduction Hour is overrated, so wouldn't necessarily take my advice...

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
By the time I got into H/C properly (1988) SxE was a thing, although more Minor Threat / Bad Religion inspired (and seemingly linked to skateboarding/ BMX) a bit later it was very Revelation focused (YoT, GBs etc) and more American (Jock?) sportswear. It seemed to die off as a specific thing until Earth Crisis etc a bit later.

I saw Youth of Today at SOAS in March 1989 and pretty much everyone in the place had a pint in hand. It was a great gig, possibly the best stage diving I have ever seen.

There were a handful of earnest types about but I don't remember ever meeting a proper straight edge person at that time. (I mean, this is hardly surprising given my social group then tbf). I do remember a bit more of it when you got to the mid 90s maybe, but I had lost touch with the music by then...

john eden

male pale and stale
'Levitate' was also the last Fall album I bought. Part of me still thinks, grannies on bongos befucked - they're not The Fall without Steve Hanley. Must admit really liking Bourgeois Town, Blindness, Sparta FC since, though. For me, the worst of the '90s stuff was "Cerebral Caustic".

Then again, most Fall fans would probably burn me alive as I think - shock, horror! - Hex Enduction Hour is overrated, so wouldn't necessarily take my advice...

I'm just whizzing through everything and listening to the albums twice so I don't have any depth of perspective, lol. Levitate is the first proper break with rock n roll in places which is quite something. His vocals are proper ropey on it too but I don't mind that.

I agree with Hex Enduction Hour being overrated though. "Hip Priest" is a classic but I prefer mid/late 80s stuff to be honest (that cliche about your favourite Fall being the first era you heard definitely holds true for me).

john eden

male pale and stale

Jealous Again....

SOAS had a good run of gigs in 1989. I saw Nirvana, Youth of Today and Young Gods there in quick succession.

Mind you I was also going to a lot of Creaming Jesus and Junior Manson Slags gigs so it's not like I was incredibly discerning.

martin

----
I agree with Hex Enduction Hour being overrated though. "Hip Priest" is a classic but I prefer mid/late 80s stuff to be honest (that cliche about your favourite Fall being the first era you heard definitely holds true for me).

The Brix era was terrific. She reined in some of his worst prog-rock excesses and got him to lose the Prince Valiant hair-do and jumpers, so good on her for that alone. Side 2 of Bend Sinister is flawless IMO.

trilliam

Favourite genre?
NEW YORK STREET RAP
Most listened to genre?
UK RAP
Favourite artist?
HISTORICALLY: NAS
AT THE MOMENT: THA GOD FAHIM
Most listened to artist?
MAX B
Most potently nostalgic music for you?
THE SMITHS / LANDFILL INDIE FROM THE LATE NOUGHTIES / GRIME
Favourite music memory?
PERFORMING ON AXEFM, OH U MEAN FROM ANOTHER ARTIST LOL
Music you associate with your childhood?
GRIME / EMINEM
Music you associate with your mid-late teens?
GIGGS / STYLES P
Musical opinion most likely to piss off dissensians?
SEE THE DEEP TECH THREAD
When was music last great?
First time your jaw dropped listening to music?
AS A MUSIC SNOB? LED ZEP - IN MY TIME OF DYING AT KNEBWORTH
Last time your jaw dropped listening to music?
HARLEM WESTWOOD CRIB SESSION
Music you associate with your children?
N/A
Music you associate with your parents?
PREMIER CHRISTIAN RADIO
Music you associate with your partner?
*INTERNALLY RAGES*
When did you first realise you were into music more than others?
YEAR 7 PUTTING EVERYONE INTO 50
How did you get into the nuum/dancehall/rap side of things?
WILL REVERSE THIS QUESTION. FIRST STARTED GOING OUTSIDE MY COMFORT ZONE IN 6TH FORM AFTER HEARING BLOC PARTY - SILENT ALARM
Favourite live music experience?
HOUSE MUSIC IN LONDON CIRCA 2011-14
What music would you like people to associate with you?
UK RAP
What have you been listening to recently?
OCEANS WISDOM - WIZVILLE
What music have you gone off after loving at some point?
UK DRILL
How avant guard can you go and still enjoy it sober?
POSH ISOLATION....NOT
Best drug-music combination?
PILLS AND HOUSE
What year does music start to be good?
Most embarrassing musical tastes of your younger self?
NONE
Music that everyone’s wrong about?
ALL THE MUSIC THEY LOVED AS A YOUNGER OTHER PEOPLE CALL CRINGE NOW
Best soundtrack?
TONY HAWKS PRO SKATER 3

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
UK and Europe had pretty separate scenes until mid-1990s and the Vegan Reich end of SxE was pretty tiny in the UK as far as I can remember

basically confirms what I thought, down to Belgium being a stronghold. vegan SxE had thankfully already peaked here by the time I came up but it was still all over the place and I avoided it like the plague. tbf Vegan Reich etc hardline were well beyond the mainstream but the mainstream was plenty bad enough. even the less terrible ideological stuff was so preachy and obsessed with purity and betrayal. like a 19th century upstate NY religious revival crossed with some grim Jacobean revenge tragedy. also I was in a wholly different youth tribe, you know how that goes.

there is no more earnest group on Earth than SxE hxc kids. witness how their icons like Mackaye + Cappo. spend their whole lives trying to escape their legends.

padraig (u.s.)

tbf there were some exceptions, idk the history super well but I do know these dudes + others battled the hardline guys for the soul of SxE scene

total jam too. "animal liberation earth liberation human liberation, will only come thru education"

padraig (u.s.)

Good Clean Fun is mostly too goofy for me but this is a highly entertaining satire of hardline at its peak

bonus points for the Black Sheep reference "I dreamed I was hard"

padraig (u.s.)

woah that IS good. reminds me, esp the guitar playing, of some of the DC bands, the Faith->Embrace axis, also EFA era Husker Du. definitely has that art punk but played but people familiar w/hxc vibe. the U.S. had a fair bit of that post-punk bleeding into hardcore - the weirder end of SST, the MPLS bands, Naked Raygun, Really Red. I think u could say in genl the U.S. post-punk is more punk while UK is more post. anyway I'd mostly distinguish that from proper hardcore band like Die Kreuzen shifting to 80s alt rock on later records. I did know that John Brannon of NA went on to Laughing Hyenas (w/some of these folks) but I've never listened to them.

no idea about specific guitar FX. in general rawness is a huge attraction of early 80s hxc. I doubt any of it was intentional, just lack of $/resources, then following general 80s trend eventually overproduction set it as people got more professional. listen to records on bigger labels from that 85-87 fallow period. there's a huge ongoing trend in punk of people obsessively recreating very specific 80s hardcore sounds, like religious artifacts or something.

Leo

woah that IS good. reminds me, esp the guitar playing, of some of the DC bands, the Faith->Embrace axis, also EFA era Husker Du. definitely has that art punk but played but people familiar w/hxc vibe. the U.S. had a fair bit of that post-punk bleeding into hardcore - the weirder end of SST, the MPLS bands, Naked Raygun, Really Red. I think u could say in genl the U.S. post-punk is more punk while UK is more post. anyway I'd mostly distinguish that from proper hardcore band like Die Kreuzen shifting to 80s alt rock on later records. I did know that John Brannon of NA went on to Laughing Hyenas (w/some of these folks) but I've never listened to them.

no idea about specific guitar FX. in general rawness is a huge attraction of early 80s hxc. I doubt any of it was intentional, just lack of $/resources, then following general 80s trend eventually overproduction set it as people got more professional. listen to records on bigger labels from that 85-87 fallow period. there's a huge ongoing trend in punk of people obsessively recreating very specific 80s hardcore sounds, like religious artifacts or something.

i assume you know L-seven featured larissa strickland in her pre-laughing hyenas days.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
basically confirms what I thought, down to Belgium being a stronghold. vegan SxE had thankfully already peaked here by the time I came up but it was still all over the place and I avoided it like the plague. tbf Vegan Reich etc hardline were well beyond the mainstream but the mainstream was plenty bad enough. even the less terrible ideological stuff was so preachy and obsessed with purity and betrayal. like a 19th century upstate NY religious revival crossed with some grim Jacobean revenge tragedy. also I was in a wholly different youth tribe, you know how that goes.

there is no more earnest group on Earth than SxE hxc kids.

Yeah, I was lobbing all Vegan SxE under the Vegan Reich label for convenience.

There were obvs vegans and some vegan/ SxE bands about but the the only ones that were good weren't identifying as that.

As John mentioned upthread, the UKHC scene was not really SxE- cultural relationship w/alcohol v. different to USA (but was vegetarian/ vegan in the main).

There endeth discussion of the dietary habits of HC kids 20 years ago

--------------------------------------------------------

Favourite genre?
N/a
Most listened to genre?
Hiphop
Favourite artist?
N/a
Most listened to artist?
N/a
Broken beat/grime/90s dancehall
Favourite music memory?
N/a
Dancehall /soca/
Broken beat grime hiphop
Manchester >London until garage
'04
'02
This year
N/a
Dancehall /reggae
Singer songwriter pinky plonk worthy shit
Dunno
Grime and garage tapes
Favourite live music experiaence?
Best carnival I ever went to
Doest matter
Slowthai/ jazz/ stoner metal/ dj aakmael /Scottish post punk
Punk
Cecil taylor
300 to 500 capacity club playing house on mdma or shrooms

Ska punk
Bob Dylan is trash
Best soundtrack?
Moonlight
------------------------------------
Name a few favourite albums of yours?
Bizzarre ride!, homogenic,blowout comb,dare is a dark side, nicolette,dj sprinkles midtown blues,
Name a few of your favourite pop songs?
Madonna ray of light, groove is in the heart,that spice girls song with a g- funk bass line
Music that makes you nostalgic for a time you were never a part of?
90s hiphop, post punk, madchester, new York downtown, og Chicago house, og jamaican ska

Fave genre and fave artist is too hard

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Favourite genre?
Dark.
Most listened to genre?
Dark.
Favourite artist?
Electric Miles, Autechre. Maybe Coltrane as well.
Most listened to artist?
don't really wanna go by last.fm as i don't scrobble much.
late 90s rnb.
Favourite music memory?
loads.
turkish stuff.
dark.
dark is good. rap is sonically too middle class these days. most metal isn't dark enough coss those wankers love guitar solos and melodies.
05, en masse.
miles in a silent way.
typography of the lungs and bernard parmegiani in 2015.
n/a.
turkish stuff.
n/a
phuture acid tracks hardfloor acperience 1 underground resistance seawolf.
slammin vinyl comps lol. it was everywhere in london.
Favourite live music experience?
russell haswell in a basement probably.
dark, rhythmic.
shabba ranks, charlie parker, chrome alien soundtracks, Masayuki Takayanagi, dark.
metal.
all the fucking way. harsh noise.
booze jackin hard techno. weed 90s rap, dub. acid throbbing gristle.
year 0.
prog.
early dubstep until 05/06 is good. breakcore was a good idea, initially.
Best soundtrack?
none cos penderecki's threnity isn't a soundtrack. dark.

Name a few of your favourite pop songs?
dark.
Music that makes you nostalgic for a time you were never a part of?
darkcore of course.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i had to invent dark to encapsulate darkcore, the mover, early wot do u call it/dark 4x4, electro, industrial techno etc.