luka

that's right. there's a kind of politesse encoded into broken beat. a notting hill idea of cool.
a restraint and a complacent suavity

Benny Bunter

that's right. there's a kind of politesse encoded into broken beat. a notting hill idea of cool.
a restraint and a complacent suavity

Yeah, i know next to nothing about broken beat tbh but I always got that impression. That plus the beats seem too wonky and awkward to dance to. But apart from a handful of isolated examples that worked in funky sets (Altered natives 'rass out' got battered by all the djs for one) broken beat basically had sweet FA to do with funky.

That said, I think it was owen griffiths posted a broken beat set live from forward years ago and I remember that being pretty vibey with a really lively crowd, so maybe its not totally irredeemable. Don't have it any more unfortunately.

sadmanbarty

Well there were some connections with broken beat (that signature apple clattery beat was ripped off wholesale from a bugz in the attic tune iirc, but it was originally built as a grime tune though) but I think its a mistake it frame it as funky making some kind of conscious effort to try and 'redeem' broken beat.

didn't actually think it was a conscious thing, i was just being poetic.

There was! Tons of it.

fair enough. now i can hold funky in the esteem my nostalgia's always wanted me to.

sadmanbarty

and of course names like 67 (as i had explained to me on here) are literally about place

i had a mate caught up in all the gang stuff who said that the telephone code for tulse hill was 0208 67 etc. and that's where the name comes from. don't know if that's an urban legend.

drill doesn't seem to be as imaginatively removed from the streets as grime was - the aesthetic of the beats is sometimes dramatic, but in a quite restrained way ... it's a bit like comparing mobb deep to wu tang - in that mobb deep's music SOUNDS LIKE queensbridge streets, like rain-drenched (cliche cliche cliche), whereas Wu Tang's sounds like kung fu meets noir...

very cleaver comparison. wu tang and grime are cartoonish a lot of the time, musically and lyrically. tom and jerry style violence. all the bleak pianos in drill probably have a linage to mobb deep somewhere down the line.

Well there were some connections with broken beat (that signature apple clattery beat was ripped off wholesale from a bugz in the attic tune iirc, but it was originally built as a grime tune though) but I think its a mistake it frame it as funky making some kind of conscious effort to try and 'redeem' broken beat.

Apple clatter was taken from this DKD track

I always saw funky as the melding of broken beat and the grime demographic tbh

firefinga

Also Continental (as in European, not UK) dance music essentially lobotomized both the US and UK scenes.

Trance won. We're all dead and in the balearic heaven.

As a "European" I gotta say that's an interesting take. In Europe however the - semi hip - dance people (those who still run clubs, throw parties, run labels etc) , or to be precise Germany, are still pushing minimal techno for over 20 years now. It's the stuff that clutters the dj-charts. So, from a continental point of view, minimal techno won. Although it's a pyrrhic victory.

firefinga

I get bored and delete stuff all the time. I'll type it out again just for you.

When did it die?

What killed it?

The internet

How did this happen?

The 'scene' migrated online and gradually splintered due to no longer being bound by or requiring specific geographical points of reference or real world interaction. The physical locations that acted as hubs - Blue Note, FWD, DMZ etc - were replaced by sites like Dubstepforum and Dubplate.net which only really lasted for a few years before everything became so sprawling and unfocused that the centre just sort of collapsed and everyone floated off in different directions, engaging with outside influences. These days people are either making house and techno or they're just rehashing jungle, garage, grime and dubstep.

The forums worked very well for roughly a decade as a centre of attraction - from ca 2003 - 2013, when people got on the net via broadband on their PCs/Laptops. Then you had a quick decline bc people moved over to social media on their smartphones. And you simply can't interact that well in such an environment regarding listening to music and/or exchange ideas about it. You have those forum producer folx still putting out music, but advertising it all on their social media accounts to nano audiences. "hardcore continuum" like scenes need a certain critical mass to work and I am very doubtful that the post 2012/13 environment of social media on your smartphone works that way.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
As a "European" I gotta say that's an interesting take. In Europe however the - semi hip - dance people (those who still run clubs, throw parties, run labels etc) , or to be precise Germany, are still pushing minimal techno for over 20 years now. It's the stuff that clutters the dj-charts. So, from a continental point of view, minimal techno won. Although it's a pyrrhic victory.

dude maybe in hip circles but that dutch cheese merchant armin van buuren is playing saudi lmao.

+that huge dead mouse twat is basically flattened out trance for the 00s generation.

isn't prog house (posh trance) popular in india and south america among other places?

what about 00s kompakt, traum? indie trance that one!

then you have psy trance. another shade of revolting scene tho they have some interesting production ideas.

even roll deep did pop trance at the beginning of the 10s.

trance trap? experimental club? It's everywhere!

there was a hip label in house and techno to add to the list of trance tedium but i can't remember their name.

It's a crime. we will not be remembered fondly henceforth.

Last edited:

firefinga

dude maybe in hip circles but that dutch cheese merchant armin van buuren is playing saudi lmao.

+that huge dead mouse twat is basically flattened out trance for the 00s generation.

isn't prog house (posh trance) popular in india and south america among other places?

what about 00s kompakt, traum? indie trance that one!

then you have psy trance. another shade of revolting scene tho they have some interesting production ideas.

even roll deep did pop trance at the beginning of the 10s.

trance trap? experimental club? It's everywhere!

there was a hip label in house and techno to add to the list of trance tedium but i can't remember their name.

It's a crime. we will not be remembered fondly henceforth.

You are correct, I was referring to the "tasteful" hip circles (The "Bergheim" fraternity if you will). But then, Trance never was being covered by "serious" dance/music media. Which is kinda interesting bc it seems to be successful for 25 years now, even jumped on the "EDM" bandwagon. It's a bit like Gabba/HC-techno which still marches on and seems to gain popularity again even.

Last edited:
But then, Trance never was being covered by "serious" dance/music media

I would dispute that. 15 years ago Britain had around five dance music magazines and they all covered trance, some of the big superclubs like Gatecrasher or Cream played a lot of it so it would have been commercial suicide for journalists to ignore it. Nowadays there are only two magazines left and they cover trance, though the pendulum has swung and it is very much a distant junior partner of House. One thing the media pretended never existed was commercial dance, things like the clubland cds, Love Inc- Superstar. It's a bit of an irony how something commercial sounding and with the ability to do well financially was for some reason marginalized to an underground of sorts, and how something as underground and as much of a commercial no-hoper like early grime still managed to have a tv channel devoted to it when there were only five or so shops in the world where you could actually buy the product.