Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Hardcore Continuum Autopsy

i dont know a thing about afrobeats. way out of my field. too old, too not african.
    i cant overstate how much the landscape has shifted since i was young.
    anything after 2004ish and I'm done as a first hand source really and truly.
    trilliam and barty grew up in a different and vastly more cosmopolitan London.
    Turks, Viets, Somalis, Eritreans, Gambians, Poles... when i grew up you were black,
    white or asian pretty much and all three groups were roughly balanced in terms of
    numbers in Newham.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowleyHead View Post
    There were a lot of baggages for black people in the US to fully embrace House/Techno as their personal culture, based on maybe class lines? Does that exist in afrobeats?
    the punters for afrobeats are more middle-class than drill. afrobeats was/is far more of an explicit cultural signifier than drill. it's functional in that sense; to a lot of people it's consciously a source of ethnic pride or at least a deliberate expression of ethnic identity, drill's a lot more organic than that.. also the music and the listeners are aspirational where drill is nihilistic and defeatist.
    Last edited by sadmanbarty; 04-05-2018 at 08:00 PM.

I meant more of the people kind of exporting the music to the scene like... If you go to Ghana, is there a kind of perception of a person for listening to artists who have crossed over to the UK in any way? Like does Wizkid get you the , I wouldn't know obv.