luka

Yeah London is just a tributary of the US really

(That oughta piss Luka off teehee)

getting close to woebots epic trolling about jungle being just another kind of detroit techno and owing nothing to reggae

luka

there was ths perpetually grumpy lad on here called mms once who always used to want to talk about belgium.
obsessed with belgium and how it invented hardcoer.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
sad and weary I go back to you, my cold father, my cold mad
father, my cold mad feary father, till the near sight of the mere
size of him, the moyles and moyles of it, moananoaning, makes me
seasilt saltsick and I rush, my only, into your arms. I see them
rising! Save me from those therrble prongs! Two more. Onetwo
moremens more. So. Avelaval. My leaves have drifted from me.
All. But one clings still. I'll bear it on me. To remind me of. Lff!
So soft this morning, ours. Yes. Carry me along, taddy, like you
done through the toy fair! If I seen him bearing down on me now
under whitespread wings like he'd come from Arkangels, I sink
I'd die down over his feet, humbly dumbly, only to washup. Yes,
tid. There's where. First. We pass through grass behush the bush
to. Whish! A gull. Gulls. Far calls. Coming, far! End here. Us
then. Finn, again! Take. Bussoftlhee, mememormee! Till thous-
endsthee. Lps. The keys to. Given! A way a lone a last a loved a
long the

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
i do find the link between places and the art produced 'by' them quite fascinating

e.g. what was it about Ireland in the late 19th/early 20th century that produced joyce, yeats and beckett...

Sometimes it's just about where the money is, and the power (e.g. Rome/Florence in Renaissance Italy). Or the political/social conditions.

'Scenius'

luka

why are paintings of the northern Renaissance different to those of Italy? (other than the people in the pictures being uglier and having doughy skin)

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
'By contrast with rave’s Ecstasy-fuelled rural arcadia, jungle’s feral geography seemed as if it was derived from dystopian science fiction. Films were a massive presence, both as the source of samples and as something that coloured the mood and theme of tracks. The Alien films, with their paranoid spaces and techno-fetishism, the crashed ecosphere and artificial humans of Blade Runner, the cyborg stalker and timebending of the Terminator films, and Predator 2, with its dreadlocked monster and voodoo posse, were frequently referenced. But by fusing elements of science fiction and horror, jungle constructed its own Afro-futurist and cyber-gothic sonic fiction, set in the derelict arcades of a near future populated by millenarian rastas, cyberspace cowboys, voodoo loa and malign shape-shifting entities.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
why are paintings of the northern Renaissance different to those of Italy? (other than the people in the pictures being uglier and having doughy skin)

Yes, that's an interesting topic too

I believe I've read that it's something to do with Protestantism vs. Catholicism

Albrecht Durer was one of the first artists in Northern Europe to study classical form which you can see in his Adam and Eve etching for example... but as Kenneth Clarke argued in a book wot I read by him, even in this you can see that it wasn't Durer's natural subject - it has an awkwardness about it, like when Mancunians do grime :crylarf:

Also it's just a mixture of influences isn't it - the Gothic thing was big in the Northern scene and nonexistent in Italy

luka

K punk wrote

Jungle’s heartland was London and the Midlands (Coventry, of all places, was a particularly significant node), and in many ways the music developed out of the disintegration of the rave dream.

http://www.factmag.com/2011/02/12/20-best-jungle/

one for barty that
By contrast with rave’s Ecstasy-fuelled rural arcadia, jungle’s feral geography seemed as if it was derived from dystopian science fiction. Films were a massive presence, both as the source of samples and as something that coloured the mood and theme of tracks. The Alien films, with their paranoid spaces and techno-fetishism, the crashed ecosphere and artificial humans of Blade Runner, the cyborg stalker and timebending of the Terminator films, and Predator 2, with its dreadlocked monster and voodoo posse, were frequently referenced. But by fusing elements of science fiction and horror, jungle constructed its own Afro-futurist and cyber-gothic sonic fiction, set in the derelict arcades of a near future populated by millenarian rastas, cyberspace cowboys, voodoo loa and malign shape-shifting entities.

The jungle was a fictional space as much as a genre, a brutal ‘90s update of William Gibson’s cyberspace.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
I'm fascinated by the idea that your tastes are conditioned by where you come from, perhaps in part because I don't really come from anywhere

I'm from nowheresville in the home counties

Nothing to be proud of, nothing I feel intrinsically connected to

luka

I'm fascinated by the idea that your tastes are conditioned by where you come from, perhaps in part because I don't really come from anywhere

I'm from nowheresville in the home counties

Nothing to be proud of, nothing I feel intrinsically connected to

that film robinson in space is partly about restablishing hereness to the kind of england that barely seems to exist.
places that seem so colourless they disappear.

luka

craner talks about wales all the time but droid never talks about dublin. why?

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
idea for book: author goes on a journey of discovery by tracking down and interviewing the people he's traded words with for years on an obscure internet forum with dwindling membership

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
city pride is like football team pride to me, although it makes a bit more sense

but in both cases i'm at a remove from it, a one-man band, ruefully plucking myself

luka

idea for book: author goes on a journey of discovery by tracking down and interviewing the people he's traded words with for years on an obscure internet forum with dwindling membership

author (corpsey) starts with a male encounter group in south-east london, meeting 'sadmanbarty' and 'luka' in greenwich wetherspoons on a friday afternoon where they drink pints of shipyard and discussion slows to a standstill and they break eye contact and slip into their own silent, wistful reveries.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
tracking down the jungle producers origins

Dillinja : Clapham, South London
4Hero: Dollis Hill, North London
A Guy Called Gerald: Moss Side, Manchester
Alex Reece: Ealing, West London
Andy C: born Hornchurch, suburb of East London

BORED NOW