luka

VERSION WHY DID YOU DELETE YOUR ANSWER? IT WAS THE RIGHT ANSWER! ive just spent 5 minutes thinking i was going mad with 'mandela effect'

luka

I believe I've read that it's something to do with Protestantism vs. Catholicism

i think its the other way round and protestantism and catholicism are a product of the same divergernce that also manifests in the different styles of the northern and italian rennassainces

luka

partly becasue of generational and demographic changes. partly, dunno, other stuff.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
All the clubs closing

Recession/austerity

Smartphones (black holes for attention and creativity)

Decline of record shops due to internet

Recent (so I've read) decline of drug and alcohol use among young people

Smoking ban

sadmanbarty

in africa you don't have the wedding of 'urban' and dance music like you have in jamaica. where dancehall serves as both, you get naija/azonto for dancing and nigerian/ghanian rap. so as london's become more demographically african it's lost this jamaican tradition of wedding the two; hence drill and to a lesser extent grime not being dance music.

version

VERSION WHY DID YOU DELETE YOUR ANSWER? IT WAS THE RIGHT ANSWER! ive just spent 5 minutes thinking i was going mad with 'mandela effect'

I get bored and delete stuff all the time. I'll type it out again just for you.

When did it die?

What killed it?

The internet

How did this happen?

The 'scene' migrated online and gradually splintered due to no longer being bound by or requiring specific geographical points of reference or real world interaction. The physical locations that acted as hubs - Blue Note, FWD, DMZ etc - were replaced by sites like Dubstepforum and Dubplate.net which only really lasted for a few years before everything became so sprawling and unfocused that the centre just sort of collapsed and everyone floated off in different directions, engaging with outside influences. These days people are either making house and techno or they're just rehashing jungle, garage, grime and dubstep.

blissblogger

i think "inquest" would be a more appropriate word for the thread title than "autopsy"

a phenomenon that is multi-determined in its genesis will have multiple causal strands involved in its de-genesis - and all that have been mentioned so far contributed to its fading away

but if there was a single pulse that you could track as the life-line, the vital sign, i'd argue that it's the vibrancy and the essential role of the pirates

there is something about real-time terrestrial broadcast to a geographically restricted audience that creates community and a sense of synchronisation - everyone within the same forward-surging temporality

as soon as it became about the internet and netradio, you are leaving behind analogue culture - you are into geographically scattered audiences whose identity is primarily through identification with genre (whereas with jungle, UKG, grime et al - the identity came from the genre-identification but also a host of social and racial factors).

you are also into desynchronisation - the ability to listen to shows when you feel like, when it's convenient, as podcasts or archived shows

this is just my experience, but living in NYC and then in LA i could never bring myself to listen to netradio of nuum-type music - it just felt wrong - i was listening too far away from the source, and at the wrong time of day

i think hardcore continuum is fundamentally an analogue-era culture - you can see that with the way it stuck with vinyl and with the dubplate long after other kinds of music had abandoned those for digital modes (there were still really shitty-sounding bassline 12 inches you could buy in 2008 - a phenomenon of persistence completely different from the vinyl revival going on elsewhere, which was the musical equivalent of artisanal cheese - almost literally, given that you could buy 40 dollar vinyl albums in Whole Foods here)

also feel like the broadcast nature of pirates contributed to a certain (delusional?) grandiosity - the DJs and MCs could actually say and feel, "this one goes out to the London massive" or whatever - the music is addressed to a whole city and its population (in potential, at least) - a lot more people were aware of the pirates than actually liked them (indeed they found them a nuisance)

in that sense it was a public culture

internet is narrowcast

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

Also Continental (as in European, not UK) dance music essentially lobotomized both the US and UK scenes.

Trance won. We're all dead and in the balearic heaven.

craner

Beast of Burden
Cardiff Bay has a community radio station that pumps out soul, R&B, reggae, ragga, house, hip hop etc; Birmingham has the same in multiple. Both have the appetite for that music, neither produced any series Nuum music to compare to London, or even Bristol, Sheffield or Leicester.

I agree with Luke though, London had the population mix, infrastructure, and crucial atmosphere to be the centre, the energy. The information centre

and it was something unique and special.

Last edited:

version

I don't listen to radio at all these days, but something I started to notice when I did was that there didn't seem to be as many "big" tunes or anthems. At one point you'd have specific tunes everyone was battering that people would pass around rips of, upload to Youtube and discuss. That doesn't seem to happen anymore and the last time it did - from what I can tell - was around 2010/2011 when stuff like Girl Unit's 'Wut' and Sicko Cell were doing the rounds on Rinse.

craner

Beast of Burden
Also the geographical and media limitations were crucial for the mystery, flavor, sound, atmosphere, etc, so agree with Simon too.

Having said that: hardcore was around the country: via raves, illicit tape recordings of raves, Dreamscape etc tape packs (which persisted into the 2-step era), so the styles and energies were more media-fixed and influenced than UK geography. The Internet was the real killer.

sadmanbarty

the incentive structures are all wrong too. the only way for a lot of nuum acts to make money is to cater to students (a good 10 years after the music they're making's innovative), which isn't really a breeding ground for the kind of innovations the hardcore continuum's supposed to produce.