CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
one might say it was the... logical progression

ba-dum-tsch-tsch-tsch-ba-dum-dum-tsch-tsch-tsch-ba-dum-ba-ba-b-ba-ba-dum-tsch

*saxophone note*

luka

ive seen enough of these desultory arguments to assume that once you reach a certain order of complexity no definitive answer iss possible/multiple interpretations become valid.

if you can't agree on ways to count to 4 then what hope is there?

sadmanbarty

ive seen enough of these desultory arguments to assume that once you reach a certain order of complexity no definitive answer iss possible/multiple interpretations become valid.

if you can't agree on ways to count to 4 then what hope is there?

i can see why you say that, but it genuinely is a concrete, binary thing. if you tap your foot at 160 bpm or whatever the snare's either when you tap or it's not.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
lol @ alex reece and bukem not being proper jungle.

Admit it lads jungle had a jazzy side to it since day 1. Did that get insufferable by 96? absolutely

By barty's revisionist logic dillinja ain't proper jungle either.. ur restricting it to what was in dj ron's crate - oh wait he played roni size tunes.

sadmanbarty

i'm probably the biggest bukem fan on dissensus, i didn't say he's not jungle. as far as the alex reece goes, i wouldn't say it's a typical jungle track. i wouldn't point to it to show someone what jungle was.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
i mean what slothrop said earlier about hardcore applies to jungle too

started out being a healthy mixture of things and then certain people liked the jazzy bits too much or the jump-uppy bits too much and invented entire sub genres out of them

this actually is what happened to dubstep too imo, it was perfectly balanced for a year or two max and then it split into overly aggressive wobble and slightly/actually boring dub-techno/post-dubstep stuff. the odd coki mash-up tune at DMZ in a set would be a moment of peak energy but then it quickly became 20 coki/coki-a-like tunes in a row and even more than 2 in a row is pushing the boredom levels IMO

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
i don't think in dubstep's case we're dealing with the will/surrender thing luka talks about in fempressure thread but we're definitely dealing with increasingly stale polarities

whereas to me loefah/dmz/skream tunes circa 2006 are like the singularity

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
maybe a wanky way to look at it as well as reductive but at one point it was about aggression with restraints on it, then it split into unrestrained aggression and aggression neutered...

mind you there was some great stuff in the initial 'post-dubstep' phase... the further things went from the singlarity the more diluted and diffuse it became

sadmanbarty

there was a noble effort over a couple of years between funky and some of that post-dubstep to try and redeem broken beat. make it seem like it'd been worthwhile. just about worked i'd say.

sadmanbarty

actually when benny posted that mixcloud he's doing collecting old funky sets i was a bit taken aback by how housey it all was (to be fair there are sets where i don't get that feeling). funky was at it's best (or at least most vital) when it was broken-beat-that's-not-shit. that strand of it should have been bigger really.

droid

When El-B played here around I dunno, 2010 or so he played an amazing UK funky set, bits of ragga, ruffneck bass, stuttery beats, so there was definitely more than one strain.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
no, funky was tacky slick. an idea of sophistication by people who weren't aloud in those circles. a pastiche.

yeah but they did play tunes like this in sets

personally although funky obviously got really interesting when it went all grimey, I liked listening to funky sets when they'd intersperse hard house banton and roska with dennis ferrer and stuff like that

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
tbf to us I don't think it was like that entirely, there was a mixture of interests

ppl like Tim F and Benny B e.g. would have championed the girly tunes

since i've been here this forum has erred more towards hardcore continuum line on that sort of question i.e. drum n bass/techstep/dubstep is boring and garage/grime/hardcore are the gold standard