luka

They bore me. I understand them and obviously like ...stuff...but I always saw the need for "euphoric" breaks as just aesthetic weakness. I like being pummelled by sound, I like genuinely being fucked by sound, by cinema, aesthsexuality, the ability to be fucked by an aesthetic experience. I always saw all the "breakdown" stuff as just people not being able to take it, stupid straight people who couldn't deal with an hour of anything being full on without glassing people (men and women equally guilty). Then that got translated into culture as a whole. I remember taking my nephew to Papa Roach gigs and seeing bouncers in the crowd, people being unable to police their damn selves in their damn entertainment. It's about not being able to give yourselves over. Not being able to be well and truly fucked. I don't blame you for it. It's not your fault. I suggest all of you get fucked.

Irigaray I think is the person who would be good to call to this thread, or for people to read, she always seemed like she was well into bass music, and the internalised phallus and comics probably.

that does seem a little one dimensional though? just the same level of intensity and the same range of affect without end?

luka

that does seem a little one dimensional though? just the same level of intensity and the same range of affect without end?

i mean arent you just describing gabba as your ideal music? which is fair enough.

luka

but for most people i think it quickly reaches what reynolds called the zone of fruitless intensification.

luka

at a certain point numbness kicks in. like drinking till you black out. there's a limit.

droid

and it's interesting that for most contributors this is the most engaging the forum has been in many years.
so your dissension is interesting. we've got new members. old members coming back. a far greater
frequency of posts. its a revival.

No, we dont have new members showing up - in fact when the last new members left, one of the reasons he gave was the increasingly incestuous nature of this place - granted he didnt cover himself in glory, but he had a point.

Pretty much every single thread now instantly descends into some kind of group therapy/agony aunt/in joke meta wank fest. Its been that way to a degree for a few years but it's really getting out of hand now, instead of asides every few pages and at the bottom of posts its now the dominant theme. Perhaps this is engaging, but I would suggest its mainly engaging to the instigators.

This is not a revival, its the increased scrabbling of fingernails on the porcelain during the slide down the drain. New members (a slim hope to begin with) are not going to be attracted by 10 pages of gnomic in-jokes and gifs for every 2 posts of content. There is a balance to be struck.

Corpsey does try though, bless him.

droid

Not that I don't see what you've been trying to do, and its been successful up to a point, but:

i think it quickly reaches what reynolds called the zone of fruitless intensification.

luka

No, we dont have new members showing up - in fact when the last new members left, one of the reasons he gave was the increasingly incestuous nature of this place - granted he didnt cover himself in glory, but he had a point.

Pretty much every single thread now instantly descends into some kind of group therapy/agony aunt/in joke meta wank fest. Its been that way to a degree for a few years but it's really getting out of hand now, instead of asides every few pages and at the bottom of posts its now the dominant theme. Perhaps this is engaging, but I would suggest its mainly engaging to the instigators.

This is not a revival, its the increased scrabbling of fingernails on the porcelain during the slide down the drain. New members (a slim hope to begin with) are not going to be attracted by 10 pages of gnomic in-jokes and gifs for every 2 posts of content. There is a balance to be struck.

Corpsey does try though, bless him.

the personalisation has probably gone a bit far and i agree we should maybe rein it in a bit but that old welsh man was a psycho.
thridform and version are new arent they? or old people in new clothes?

luka

i still dont know why youre attacking this thread though when i made a concerted effort over several pages to explicate an idea. you might think it's a stupid idea but it's still an idea rather than being mean to craner/tea/droid whatever.

luka

like if you were to say we need to call a moratorium on all this personalisation stop teasing corpsey and craner theyre gentle souls and they dont fight back and its a bit over the top and can you stop calling me an affectless robot i would say ok yeah its getting in the way we should rein it in but i dont get why im not allowed to talk about the yin and the yang and like, the universal duality of life?

luka

or is it cos i got annoyed with john eden for trying to pounce on me?
THATS WHERE YOU FUCKED UP
i think was the phrase.

john eden

male pale and stale
like if you were to say we need to call a moratorium on all this personalisation stop teasing corpsey and craner theyre gentle souls and they dont fight back and its a bit over the top and can you stop calling me an affectless robot i would say ok yeah its getting in the way we should rein it in but i dont get why im not allowed to talk about the yin and the yang and like, the universal duality of life?

Nobody is telling anyone else to do anything. But Droid is right.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
the personalisation has probably gone a bit far and i agree we should maybe rein it in a bit but that old welsh man was a psycho.

Hey come on, Craner is a cherished long-serving member of this community!

• Haha
Reactions: sus

john eden

male pale and stale
or is it cos i got annoyed with john eden for trying to pounce on me?
THATS WHERE YOU FUCKED UP
i think was the phrase.

Also LOL at this.

I've been in actual rooms filled with people shouting at me.

The idea that Droid would wade in to defend my honour whilst I cowered in the corner is very very funny.

From my perspective there is a trade off, a duality, if you will of good discussion vs boorish in jokes. There is increasingly more of the latter than the former here but I have to give credit to Barty and Luka for starting some good threads too.

luka

there's obviously a danger with all these old people with increasingly conservative opinions and staid habits that the forum becomes boring. so as droid says there's a balance to be struck. you lot need to be aware of what you contribute as well.