padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Nomad was a bloke, btw
I assume Martin's joking but tbc we emailed a bit back in the day, + no, unless it was a far more elaborate fake online persona (possible but unlikely)

this places misses nomad + zhao. scottdisco too. probably some other people I can't remember rn.

padraig (u.s.)

the luka/barty act can get irritating but it's also a big reason (besides Corpsey's relentless efforts) this place came back to life a bit

luka's digressions you gotta take the good w/the bad, it's more that every thread lately you can't actually talk about anything cos there's 9 pages of one-liners

moderation, like

unlike the flamewars of yesteryear this is solely about personal issues. things w/zhao etc were still fun b/c tho maddening they were debating issues of some kind.

padraig (u.s.)

this thread in particular seems unnecessarily nasty + personal, just skimming the last few pages. droid is right about that.

too bad cos it was a good thread idea. w/all respect to blissblogger the original feminine pressure discussion - even as a deconstruction of masculine/feminine, gender, etc - seems 20 years old, which it is. really been a sea change in popular conception of those kinda things in the last few years.

padraig (u.s.)

I'm not gonna to wade in further than I have except to say I've always known droid to be a sensible adult (that line was to barty's deleted last post)

if it ever does get back on track here are 2 personal faves for a couple different angles to feminine pressure

all female Basque punk band in the post-Franco early 80s flips "I Wanna Be Your Dog" into a proto-riot grrl reclamation thing. "zorra" literally means fox but is slang basically for slut, the lyrics are really fantastic tho I'm not sure how well they'd translate. anyway, an all-time great cover/reinterpretation.

padraig (u.s.)

Lil Kim chopped + screwed by Screw himself. Granted it's the ultimate ode to eating pussy but still to remake this into a deep, masculine - or perhaps more intriguing, ambiguously gendered - voice, it's like come on there must've been people who heard this on a Screw tape in w/all the ultra-masculine 90s rap and were like wtf. Kinda the inverse of the all those Sylvester anthems people were posting upthread.

padraig (u.s.)

actually p interesting to see people posting Sylvester as an example of someone who messes up feminine/masculine coding in music

he totally does, and he deserves all the credit he gets both in + out of music. almost definitely the greatest male dance music diva of all time.

otoh even in disco he was a pretty huge outlier, almost closer to someone like Klaus Nomi

also that Patrick Cowley, early hi-NRG side of disco is gay in a different way from NYC etc disco in the soul lineage, if anything significantly less feminine

Paul Parker + that whole thing, as well as Macho, Easy Going, etc on the Euro side. the ultra-masculine side of gay disco.

padraig (u.s.)

b4 I forget tho, people talking about British comedians upthread - the British are, as a rule, world-class at satire and terrible at regular comedy

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
They bore me. I understand them and obviously like ...stuff...but I always saw the need for "euphoric" breaks as just aesthetic weakness. I like being pummelled by sound, I like genuinely being fucked by sound, by cinema, aesthsexuality, the ability to be fucked by an aesthetic experience. I always saw all the "breakdown" stuff as just people not being able to take it, stupid straight people who couldn't deal with an hour of anything being full on without glassing people (men and women equally guilty). Then that got translated into culture as a whole. I remember taking my nephew to Papa Roach gigs and seeing bouncers in the crowd, people being unable to police their damn selves in their damn entertainment. It's about not being able to give yourselves over. Not being able to be well and truly fucked. I don't blame you for it. It's not your fault. I suggest all of you get fucked.

Irigaray I think is the person who would be good to call to this thread, or for people to read, she always seemed like she was well into bass music, and the internalised phallus and comics probably.

wot, the breakdowns in hardcore are full on. hence the whole chipmunk effect. its like some kind of jouissance. pleasure where it becomes pain. we're going too-ooo fast. they're not like euro house or us garage.

death growls in metal sound more cartoonish to my ears. guaranteed to kill an erection.

CrowleyHead

I sure as hell picked a day to not check in huh.

Also Zhao was a blight on this message board and my presence is a gift to you bunch. You've been blessed in so many ways Droid.

CrowleyHead

otoh even in disco he was a pretty huge outlier, almost closer to someone like Klaus Nomi

I can't speak for anyone else but I didn't necessarily invoke Sylvester w/ the background context of disco in mind? This is a fair point though.

Like the garage centrism of the thread (and nuum centrism in general) has been expected but a big problem is like we're assuming garage is feminine music or has elements that are inherently feminine and its like... nah, not really? What's inherently feminine in garage except maybe the occasional female voice (and even then, is it really? Ms Dynamite was a woman in garage but were her vocal performances feminine?)

droid

Why does ambient, drone and avant music have more female artists than any other electronic genre?

Indeed, why are these virtually the only contemporary genres to count multiple women as originators and innovators?

Last edited:

other_life

bioconfused
Why does ambient, drone and avant music have more female artists than any other electronic genre?

Indeed, why are these virtually the only contemporary genres to count multiple women as originators and innovators?

we fuck tapes and play synths in order to not have a face

sus

Feminine pressure is a superpower (see Lysistrata for a toy example).

It is half of the picture of a good society—what is rewarded, is repeated.

Be mindful what you incentivize.