luka

i remember in 98 or 99 going, on consecutive days, to a drum and bass, and then a garage night, round the corner from one another
and the difference in crowd was enormous. world dance was at stratford rex and it was almost entirely a suburban shipped in crowd and almost 100% white. it was very mechanical in its responses and all excitement was situated around the drop at which point lighters went up and shouts rang out in a very pavlovian way.

(there was garage in the basement luckily)

sheek 'n sexy was a short walk away on at what was then either club space or club eq and that crowd was seemed a little younger and was almost 100% black and mostly local. the music was better.

sadmanbarty

that 'when we make love, come in to me' is archetypal feminine pressure to me. sonically it's actually very tough; angular rhythm, buzzy bass, but there's something so immersive about it

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
actually it occurs to me that when i went to frequency for the deep tech night it was a similar crowd to what you're describing with the garage night - and there were loads of girls there

and deep tech around that time (radford, lance morgan, carnao beats et al) 'on paper' was coded very masculine - dark, stripped-back, spartan, even...

sadmanbarty

it was very mechanical in its responses and all excitement was situated around the drop at which point lighters went up and shouts rang out in a very pavlovian way.

has anyone paralleled the fetishisation of the drop as a proxy of men's climax driven sexuality compared to women's whole journey sexuality?

luka

social conformity (vs. repressed taste)? an aggressive/threatening atmosphere?

did the hard/dark techstep drum n bass help men feel more like 'men' and make women feel less like 'women'?

i do think these things are far too reductive/boring. it's like how a guardian journalist would frame it.

sadmanbarty

actually it occurs to me that when i went to frequency for the deep tech night it was a similar crowd to what you're describing with the garage night - and there were loads of girls there

and deep tech around that time (radford, lance morgan, carnao beats et al) 'on paper' was coded very masculine - dark, stripped-back, spartan, even...

i wasn't surprised so much by the girls, but at how black deep tech was. and also how ubiquitous it was for a bit.

luka

one of the things reynolds points out in the original article is that its all boys complaining the music is too male. this doesnt map onto the actual taste and desires of male and female in any reductive 1 to 1 way. stop trying to do it corpsey!

luka

you dont have to worry about ideas being original you just want ones which work and the drop as cum shot obviously works.

sadmanbarty

luka your concept of 'masculine' and 'feminine' being proxies for a set of aesthetic qualities and not about boys and girls is a novel and incomprehensible one. nobody has ever spoke in those terms before. it is literally beyond our cognitive capacities to understand.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
"Our continuous effort to keep ourselves balanced upright on our legs affects every judgment on design. The disposition of areas in the torso is related to our most vivid experiences, so that abstract shapes, the square and the circle, seem to us male and female, and that the old endeavor of magical mathematics to square the circle is like the symbol of physical union."