Blandness is evil, or why Dissensus is shit

sadmanbarty

Sorry to those who found the original post distressing or in bad taste, particularly if there’s a more contentious history to it than I’m unaware of. If it’s of any consolation I was homaging him not to be disrespectful, but because I thought his post (as with all his writing) was brilliantly incisive and insightful. Obviously I offer sincere and unequivocal apologies to those who knew him personally and were hurt by it.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
Is this some weird mash up of a K-Punk post?

If so you are caricaturing the wrong people here.

Mark’s intolerance for chummy matey insular posts was off the scale. I mean, Jesus he was too pofaced and serious for me and that is pretty funny.

john eden

male pale and stale
Now you can post something saying that’s what you meant all along and it’s a trap and isn’t it disappointing that I don’t get it.

And then post 16 pages about meditation, fractals or whatever.

Last edited:

luka

there are a lot of increasingly boring posts here almost as if the fun posts have brought them into being as a cosmic balancing act. this kind of leaden tediousness. airless. joyless. plodding. it's like the never-ending story. the land menaced by a creeping tide of dullness. and i do think we should draw a firm line with droid too. taking a massive steaming shit on a great thread out of ressentiment and spite then disavowing his own motives and accusing me of chimp politics. what a wrong 'un.

luka

i mean, lets not forget that me and barty, when faced with droids big steaming shit said ok no worries,
we agree, it's a bit over the top atm, we'll tone it down.
and instead of being gracious and going thanks lads he kept being sinister and toxic.
weird.

luka

do you really want to usher in a world in which this kind of 'banter' is the only 'banter' allowed

ohn eden
john eden is online now male pale and stale

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
And thats just at home - every day.
And that's just the cats etc etc.

uncarved.org : woofah : turbulent times

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message ta!
The Following User Says Thank You to john eden For This Useful Post:

droid

craner

Beast of Burden
It was cathartic!

I wasn't really vexed by the shoe thing, either. I'm not that sensitive.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
That other thread was like Scenes From A Hardcore Continuum Marriage - why the sudden explosion of bitterness? Simmering tension is great, blatant contempt less so

People were saying Dissensus was shit in 2005. They were probably saying it was bland. Nothing new. But a few new posters wouldn't go amiss - what you notice from the old threads Luka and others exhume is the number/variety of posters prevents everything descending into acrimony - or at least, the acrimony is only part of the story, not the theme. Zhao had to work seriously fucking hard to engineer forum flamewars - his level of commitment is rarely given the appropriate amount of credit (and I say that as someone who was disappointed when he left, never to return).

Last edited:

Leo

do you really want to usher in a world in which this kind of 'banter' is the only 'banter' allowed

ohn eden
john eden is online now male pale and stale

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
And thats just at home - every day.
And that's just the cats etc etc.

uncarved.org : woofah : turbulent times

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message ta!
The Following User Says Thank You to john eden For This Useful Post:

droid

while i agree with some of the points made by you and barty and have sincerely enjoyed some of the discussions of the past few months, this is where you start to lose me: the implication that the sum total of dissensus consists of either fresh insightful spontaneous fun posts by a passionate few or dim cat jokes (or the dull grey equivalent) from pot smoking dads (aka, the rest of us). it's a straw man argument.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
There are always going to be different perspectives and disagreements here, that's part of the reason for this place's existence.

But there is only one side of this current disagreement which is psychoanalysing other posters. I think that's out of order and not just because Droid is my friend.

I consider Luka a friend too (although a distant one) and if things got heated another time and people were trying to medicalise his behaviour (or Barty or Craner's - people I've never met) that would also be out of order.

droid

Barty, you're a real asset to the forum and have brought life back to the place, and Ive said as much previously. Luka, for his many faults has been deeply committed to Dissensus over the last few years and has done great work keeping it alive. It is possible to appreciate this and be critical of other, less constructive behaviour.

I dont campaign against other members & I generally dont hold grudges. Im also probably not gonna be around that much, Im spending a lot of time on music, you can do your thing, no problem, just please, leave me out of the banter.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I dont campaign against other members & I generally dont hold grudges.

I urge you all to meet up anyway, if only to [...] give Tea the beating he deserves

d76.gif

droid

Yeah, you got me there, I was actually threatening you with a real life beating and that was in no way in jest. Glad to see you're keeping up the tradition of wilfully misquoting me.

Sorry I didnt mention this sooner, confirmation was fairly recent. I urge you all to meet up anyway, if only to mock John Eden's quotidian reasonableness, give Tea the beating he deserves and to gaze in wonder at Martin's godlike physique.