This or That.

luka

are these ideas changing your way of listening to and valuing music or "simply" conforming the validity of what you already feel?

on the one hand im passionately commited to 'my' taste and judgements and discriminations etc and on the other hand
ive been trying to distance myself from taste. to get away from the i like it/i dont like response
which has started to seem a little boring and obfuscatory.

sadmanbarty

what does music evoke (shapes, colours, movements, people, places, smells, etc.)?

how does it evoke it?

why does that feature evoke that feeling?

can we find common ways to express the same thing musically (if i want to express x how do i ‘say’ it musically? what luka calls language)?

oi luke what's the next step after this? break it down really simply as though i was complete idiot (hard to imagine obviously). be patronising, be simple. one step at a time.

sadmanbarty

i'm not talking at the level of metaphor as it is commonly understood. i am talking at the level of direct correspondence.
a is not just like b in a 'poetic' sense, but actually shares something essential in common with b. embodies the same
principle.

ah got it

luka

like if i do what barty tells me to do and register what is evoked ok? and i say, oh like, some kinda ballroom affair?

sadmanbarty

guided meditation time. luka pick a song. we'll go through my questions with just one element and then plato's chair it with yours.

luka

so there's couple dancing is there? the music is describing a dance? there's the tempo of the thing, the way a horn line undulates, not sharp angles here, it's all curves, it's all gentle, perhaps, a sweep of strings, whatever it might be, how they glide,

moving like that, together, it's different, isn't it to

luka

but i cant do it right now and im not sure im even very good at doing it. im certainly not suggesting it's always easy or that it's an exact science.

why dont you pick a song and answer all these questions, or whatever questions you feel you can answer and when i wake up in the morning i'll pick up where you left off.

sadmanbarty

in both cases the stress is on the 2nd of the 2 things. so that's why it's up. stress=climax. our predisposition is to start grounded.