This or That.

sadmanbarty

i googled 'bouncy' and 'bouncy picture' and it was all just bouncy castles. i'll plow on anyway.

my best guess at what luka's saying is like plato's forms (11 years since i read it, so probably about to butcher it). 'bounce' is out there in the either somewhere and there a variety of manifestations of the same thing. they're not metaphors for one another, just different manifestations of the same phenomena.

'bounce' is all the following things. none of them are symbols for bounce, they are all literally the phenomena of 'bounce'

bouncing up and down in the physical world

music (presumably within a certain tempo range) that emphasises the off beat while noting the down beat

poetry that has an unstressed followed by a stressed syllable

so does that tell us what bounce is? bounce is perceived as essentially binary (minimal emphasis on the transition from up to down). going up and down on a cherry picker is not bouncing because we perceive so much transition. we are also naturally inclined to percieve our initial condition as the status quo so a change from that is the other. stress (intonation/rhtym wise, not emotuonally) is to peak. put that all together and bounce the perception of a binary (or near binary) transition from status quo to peak.

that any good luka?

luka

the most immediately striking thing is the evocation of childhood. the thin, girly voice, cloyingly sweet, winsome. an ersatz childs world also indicated by the lollipop,

the mood is jaunty, the knees bend, the head bounces, a kind of inanely happy puppet dancing on its strings, there's nothing overtly sexual there, if couples were dancing together to this it would be face to face but the movements it suggests dont really allow for touching. the hips dont roll. a performative innocence.

it's light, optimistic, there's no insistent pain, no desperate desire, no despair, etc etc that's the 'diction'

obviously by excluding 'adult' themes they are invoked in a dark way, lollipop winking at lolita through sound association for instance. it's not really a little girl, it's a teenager.

luka

bounce is difficult barty becasue here bounce is childlike and innocent but nowadays bounce is more lubricious. they are both bouncing but in different ways

luka

so we need more information than just bounciness for us to really start drawing conclusions about what the music is doing.

sadmanbarty

bounce is difficult barty becasue here bounce is childlike and innocent but nowadays bounce is more lubricious. they are both bouncing but in different ways

it's a non-sexual bounce i'm talking about. something else evoking childhood.

luka

where after the 'bounce' there is (please help me here barty im way out of my depth) a sustained 'chord'?
which allows for body to be drawn into body, mimes that gesture in its extension and in its tone

luka

it's stuff that is simultaneously obvious and self-evident and very difficult to verbalise in a convincing and exhaustive way.

luka

it is both a physical movement with a shape and a duration and a vocalisation (a kind of low moan) at once

luka

it's got that sound of sweet lack, that sexy un-filled-ness/unfulfilledness about it