This or That.

luka

its even worse cos we're not boozers but it's actually a great pair of songs to compare

luka

because you have two very different ways of moving mapped out in a very obvious and undeniable way. which is where we started the thread.

what movements and manners does it map out?

sadmanbarty

rhythmically bounce it's more sexual cause of that syncopation on the quarter note. as i said before on this thread (in reference to dancehall girls as it happnes) "moving from the hip". the synths are warm tones; immersive, oceanic, from whcih you can free associate yourself to vaginas.

luka

because you have two very different ways of moving mapped out in a very obvious and undeniable way. which is where we started the thread.

so you can make tentative attempts at answering some of these questions by using those two songs

what movements and manners does it map out?

one is a kind of jaunty, slightly jerky, playful and childlike 'bounce' with the knees bending but the hips more or less rigid, head and arms mimicking the same up and down motion perhaps

the other a more low slung, swung set of movements, the pattern more staggered and requiring a greater control of the body, the weight lower in the hips etc

one keeps a partner at a distance the other brings that partner in close

im sure you can do better and that's just a begining but thats the sort of thing im trying to talk about. its nothing complicated

luka

it's just you can then start to extrapolate from those initial observations, it's not failsafe obviously but you can start to

and you can answer your own questions too

What kind of movement/physicality is the music evoking?

What kind of emotional state is it aspiring to?

What social outlook/context is it eliciting?

Anthropomorphise the music; who is it? What does it feel like to be them?

sadmanbarty

i went through the star gate and 2000 years of epistemological theory just so we could get to "one's jumping and one's shagging"

luka

i went through the star gate and 2000 years of epistemological theory just so we could get to "one's jumping and one's shagging"

:crylarf::crylarf::crylarf::crylarf::crylarf:

that's all i was trying to say dunno why i kept getting so many blank looks

luka

it's also about structuring experience with dualities. this or that?

it's about musical diction and what that self-imposed circumscription denotes socially (as opposed to aesthetically)

how these things change over time

how they are emblematic of time periods. how they change time. accelerate it for example.

how sound both describes and prescribes movements (dance and music and beyond)

the millie small and busy signal songs are good records to use to answer these questions for instnce becuase you're just extrapolating from the initial humping or jumping dichotomy

luka

i was very very tired last night and just couldn't play this game properly but dont give up on me yet. we're just getting started!

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
http://www3.dbu.edu/mitchell/yeatshis.htm

Is there a theory of musical history?

I wondered if yeats's theory might be applied, but since it works in 2000 year cycles it's probably not applicable to the last thirty years of musical evolution.

Do we believe that the 'pendulum' effect in musical fashion reflects a sort of need for balancing the polarities? Or, if it IS driven by 'our' taste, is it simply a lust for novelty, and contempt for the familiar? Or is it just a way for corporations to sell new products?