This or That.

sadmanbarty

if you don't like the direction of the thread try and change it. if it's meandering and pretentious, post concretely with form. the dynamic of the two approaches is what's going to make it come alive. stop it being the luka and barty tantric massage thread.

luka

modern big budget pop is moving ever closer to a post-human state. it's probably what sounds most futuristic to me. airbrushed. dematerialised. affectless. like an advertisment for itself.

luka

i dont know cos i only hear that music when i go into topshop to buy a new party dress

version

The only stuff that really evokes the traditional shiny vision of "the future" for me is the stuff that consciously harks back to "epic", mid-20th century sci-fi with big, gleaming synths and sounds e.g. Kuedo's first album. It doesn't sound like the actual future because it's consciously appealing to an antiquated vision that nobody really believes in at this point.

In terms of how I view the actual future, I guess just stuff like UK Drill. Stuff that's more grounded and doesn't seem to be actively pursuing a vision of the future.

There's a Rashad Becker album that sounds like an alternate future to me, but it also sounds like an alternate past. It's like listening to primordial ooze or a prehistoric forest full of exotic plants and insects. It's also the most organic sounding electronic album I've ever heard. It's like listening to a digestive tract or something.

version

Yeah, Parmegiani did it long before Becker and was better, but I'm into both. Becker did a second album of that stuff that was a bit more structured and accessible, but the first is the more evocative of the two.

re: DNS - I stopped buying vinyl ages ago and don't really care about it these days, but I would probably grab my copy of De Natura Sonorum in the event of a fire. It was the one record where the sound quality aspect of vinyl and what you could do with sound in general really clicked for me, I remember feeling like I'd been watching standard definition TV up until that point and had suddenly upgraded to HD and been exposed to a bunch of new colours I never knew existed. Unbelievable piece of work and, crucially, fun to listen to.

sadmanbarty

you could probably supply a few examples?

woebot did a mix of pop recently. said a very interesting thing along the lines of pop in the past was just 'popular music' of varying genres whereas now it's a homogenised genre in it's own right. tropical house meets dj mustard type thing i think.

luka

id been sort of tip-toeing up to it and poking it with a stick for a while but then one day me and a friend spent a day smoking dmt and listening to that and it was one of my peak musical experiences. couldnt beleive how good it was. how alive it was. and how careful and precise and crystalline.
(parmegiani not woebots pop mix which i will check out now)

luka

bartys not into that stuff but he was starting to get converted when we were playing it on that radio show the other day. all the rum and cokes making any weirdo noise sound amazing.

sadmanbarty

presumably you're enjoying it completely differently to the way you enjoy proper music. it's more about sensation than music. like rain against a tent, sound of the sea. in the radio station it was all loud, there were colourful lights, etc. so it was like an art exhibition than listening to music

luka

i think it is probably a different way of listening yeah. each sound as discrete event or something.