Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: This or That.

The intro of love supreme is like the feeling of replenishment washing over you. The closest I can think of is getting some fresh spring air after being inside a stuffy house all morning. But itís still not exactly it; thereís a shrillness in that experience thatís totally lacking from the intro to acknowledgment. Thatís why itís music; perfectly distilled, unadulterated experience.

Elvin Jonesí drums in acknowledgment are a couple of things; the toms occasionally make me fell feel like Iím stumbling. On the other hand the ride feels totally slick; Milan streets reflected off the bonnet of a red sprots car, itís confident, carries himself effortlessly, heís grounded but weightless, leans against the bar, walks like Travolta at the beginning of Saturday night fever but less contrived.

in a much more generalised sense i always experience ALS as being concerned with self-overcoming, it moves as if it were trying to free itself from something, to shed a skin
    although there is another aspect, which is those grand plateaus and vistas. the track titles reinforce this striving, overcoming theme
    "Acknowledgement" "Resolution", "Pursuance", and "Psalm"

that spiritual restlessness and muscular effort.
    Last edited by luka; 15-03-2018 at 11:08 AM.

this way of miming the contortions of the spirit.

The first half of He loved him madly is ashy. a soft, pale white light like a projector shining through smoke. Heís in his 60ís, coarse white hair, wrinkled forehead, well built but tired. Used to work as an electrician; rough, solder burnt hands. Big, with a firm grip.

The bit with milesí solo (other than being astoundingly poignant) is like the cover of fleetwood macís Tango in the night or jon hasselís segreon of nightsky, but darker with denser jungle. Glimpses and snatches of the moon through trees. Itís a place not a person. Some of the plants are alian, faintly neon purple leaves. Simultaneously humid like the tropical bits in the zoo, but cold like walking through the park at night. Actually now itís gone all moonlit night walk in London park, not many street lights. You can see your breath condensing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

i'm very suggestible, the colour of album covers completely sways me; all the tracks on cuban linx are a garish orange to me.

i mean, theyre very different records arent they? in terms of the regions of experience they map/invoke/describe

a crude way of explaining the difference would be to say that ALS is coming up, peaking, plateauing
    HLHM is coming down, sensitised, twitchy, tender

bustin at em's bouncing on your toes, elbows to your sides with occasional arms swooping int the air in rapture. the snare rolls sound like coughing up flem. it's feverish music. when you're ill and you have a sleepness night that feels like an excorcism, a living nightmare (like the one luka had a couple of months back); discomfort confounded with strange dream logic. tossing and turning. irritable. ghost of a flea.

poignancy for instance, is very much a returning to the body emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    HLHM is coming down
    he's tired and retired. we're picking up on the same thing there i think.

poignancy for instance, is very much a returning to the body emotion.
    an emotion that feels like an open wound.

corpsey is cheating himself out of an amazing experience not listening to that.

a crude way of explaining the difference would be to say that ALS is coming up, peaking, plateauing
    chin up slightly (not that it's straining) eyes, open looking up to towards the light

if you don't like the direction of the thread try and change it. if it's meandering and pretentious, post concretely with form. the dynamic of the two approaches is what's going to make it come alive. stop it being the luka and barty tantric massage thread.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

illmatic's sitting on concrete steps at the foot of a tower block on a sunny day.

mediteranian heat