This or That.

luka

and i would say this is why the time barrier exists. that texts recede so far into the past that we can't interpret them any longer.
or they refer to something we find ourselves unable to imaginatively recreate.

luka

to return back to this question of the immersive medium. if you want a parrallel to the mainstreaming of black music in the west the best thing to look to is the arrival of eastern thought in the west and how it makes itself felt in schopenhauer, nietzsche etc

Client Eastwood

is this a meeting of male and female minds or an arguement. what it is intended to be? i think it's an agreement (but that could my mental predisposal to resolve issues in my mind, my subjective view - the real problem may remain)

version

after all, i am essentially suggesting that there is a language of sound

Sean from Autechre once said that he thought that music was speech minus text.

"yeah music = speech - text at least roughly - i reckon it's a kind of super-developed version of the pitch and intonation parts of speech (the aural bit that doesn't contain textual info)"

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

do you ever notice your body physically empathising with music? if a note sustains; do you keep exhaling with it? stay tensewith it? stay still until it ends?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Sean from Autechre once said that he thought that music was speech minus text.

"yeah music = speech - text at least roughly - i reckon it's a kind of super-developed version of the pitch and intonation parts of speech (the aural bit that doesn't contain textual info)"

Reading this has had me trying to work out the melody to 'to be or not to be' for at least three minutes

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's why musicals work so well - all the musicals I know are Disney movies, but nevertheless, it's an easy transition from speech to song, and the singer expresses emotion much as they would in speech, yearning in whining tones, pitch soaring in excitement etc.

luka

there's what we talked about wrt shakespeare as well. if a character is raging they're not just saying angry words they're speaking in angry rhythms etc

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Not to mention that (so I've read) English people talk naturally in iambic (maybe even iambic pentameter although that might be stretching it)

Always interesting to me how when you listen to people speaking in a language you don't understand you can hear the pitch (almost melody) much more clearly.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Don't want to make this thread a rap thread by any means but this is an underestimated part of being a rapper - emotion, rhythm and pitch of language.

Mainly cos it's so hard to evaluate (and particularly without sounding like a ponce).

DMX verse 1 on the ID&HIH intro e.g.

luka

“What is a god?
A god is an eternal state of mind
When is god manifest?
When the states of mind take form.
When does a man become a god?
When he enters one of these states of mind.”
ezra pound

luka

in deference to Eden's request for essays and links
http://wayneandwax.com/pdfs/wilson-african-af-am-music.pdf
im in bed skimming through this. contains obvious connections
to the stuff we're looking at here
lots about music as language and music as movement.
"In sub-Saharan cultures, body motion and music are viewed as interelated components of the same process. The dance becomes the music, and the music is the dance."

sadmanbarty

i once heard someone say that when doing guitar solos have every melodic idea should be contained within the length of a breath.

i write loads of rubbish edm music for work so use a lot of white noise sweeps. usually there'll be one filtered up and then one down,, very reminiscent of breathing.

same thing with reverse cymbal sounds

brushes probably work similarly like on corpsey's favourite song

sadmanbarty

pure sine wave bass sounds are very womb like for me. the feeling of being cocooned is understandable, if you're hearing something through a wall the bass is going to be the main thing coming through, the higher pitches filtered out.