This or That.

luka

a very "Surveillance" view of living which we all go through when we transmit all the time.

i dont think it's an abstract statement at all i think it's an actual factual and a psychological constant and even more pervasive and inescapable for those of us who live in big western cities where the cameras are everywhere. the walls are closing in. that feeling of being always inside the pantopticon synergises with the paranoia properties of weed. what doesn't spring immediately to mind is how this would manifest in music (once we get beyond the lyrics) but i think we can cobble together some kind of answer.

Last edited:

luka

droid was saying on the cambridge analytica thread how drastically he self-censors and self-polices online which im not mocking, i think it's very prudent but it also shows how we are already internalising a kind of totalitarian logic as a response to intrusive surveillance and monitoring

luka

i suppose it blurs somewhat into the creation of and representation of purely digital spaces. and again i think this is where it's instructive to look towards architecture, which cant escape its physicality but looks to shed some of the more obvious signifiers of tactility and embodiment eg texture as it aspires to total dematerialisation. opaque glass. trespa. flat blocks of primary colour.

these buildings reflect their digitality in the same inescapable and crashingly obvious way
as computer music reflects its origins and the parameters of its creative programs.

Last edited:

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
Not so sure about scrutiny from the government (although you get that in trap in the traditional the feds are watching way 'Who is this?' by Lil Durk springs to mind) but I think the sense of being watched online by your peers must have bled into music amongst the yoof (Cyber-bullying, status-anxiety)

I mean obviously emo rappers singing about having sports cars and all that is just traditional rap boasting given a melody, but TO BE WANKY ABOUT IT, it's expressive of the anxiety of the social media generation, boasting about how great their life is in a minor key

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
but also, to be less miserable about it, it's also a generation that is more open to sharing their feelings online

luka

one the one hand

expressive of the anxiety of the social media generation

but then again

it's also a generation that is more open to sharing their feelings online

can i have a better answer from you please corpsey. work at it a bit. make me feel like im worth it!

im going for a walk in the sunshine.

sufi

lala
droid was saying on the cambridge analytica thread how drastically he self-censors and self-polices online which im not mocking, i think it's very prudent but it also shows how we are already internalising a kind of totalitarian logic as a response to intrusive surveillance and monitoring
I'm similar, you maybe noticed, though less competent at it than droid.
I hit a revelation though when a younger i met thru work was astonished by that approach. He was like "you've been blogging anonymously all those years, but how do you harvest the social capital?" i paraphrase a bit, but his point totally struck me. That was many many years ago in social media time, maybe 2011, and, as i reflect on it now, i still haven't really been able to reconcile myself to being "out" online, perhaps there's a generational thing too?
Or maybe the tables have turned,
</off topic anyway ;) />
I wonder is there a real ID for droid that co-exists online? There is for me, and i'm sure that the 2 are quite easily connectable despite my best efforts

sufi

lala
so i was talking about the effect of digitisation on architecture on the this and that thread and i think that is somewhere i would like to see architects leaning into it more rather than tempering it and turning away from it. music has done this for years obviously.
so you were
i suppose it blurs somewhat into the creation of and representation of purely digital spaces. and again i think this is where it's instructive to look towards architecture, which cant escape its physicality but looks to shed some of the more obvious signifiers of tactility and embodiment eg texture as it aspires to total dematerialisation. opaque glass. trespa. flat blocks of primary colour.

these buildings reflect their digitality in the same inescapable and crashingly obvious way
as computer music reflects its origins and the parameters of its creative programs.
so was i
pointful 🔫

It's fun to identify the computer generated environment while you're in it & pretend to be in virtual reality, and then try and spot the odd logic gaps in spaces which have been architected on screens, sometimes you can catch a dodgy cut'n'paste transposed onto reality.
These cityscapes resemble computer renderings cos that's what they are, i suppose, just in the medium of bricks and mortar (or flatpack or whatever).
dissensus synchronicity? i feel smirched :eek:

luka

you gotta stop making threads exclusive to you and refusing to participate in the ones the rabble frequent sufi! stop being so high and mighty! enter the meme pool!

odd logic gaps in spaces

good stuff like this goes to waste if you bury it on the 'how to make friends with crows' thread! ;)

craner

Beast of Burden
I'm so egotistical and dumb I splurged my name and actual identity all over the Internet. Then again, I always expected to be doomed by this age.

droid

I'm similar, you maybe noticed, though less competent at it than droid.
I hit a revelation though when a younger i met thru work was astonished by that approach. He was like "you've been blogging anonymously all those years, but how do you harvest the social capital?" i paraphrase a bit, but his point totally struck me. That was many many years ago in social media time, maybe 2011, and, as i reflect on it now, i still haven't really been able to reconcile myself to being "out" online, perhaps there's a generational thing too?
Or maybe the tables have turned,
</off topic anyway ;) />
I wonder is there a real ID for droid that co-exists online? There is for me, and i'm sure that the 2 are quite easily connectable despite my best efforts

No, there might be some references in my professional capacity, but only the bare minimum, with no connections afaik. Currently refusing point blank to get a work photo taken, I wont even use one in my work email.

I think partly it is a generational thing. I had my alias in 1996 for DJng and started using the internet when no-one used their real name and have always been conscious of surveillance/privacy issues. Its not self censorship per se, it just seems completely insane to me for people to be posting photos, birthdays, addresses etc online, especially photos of their families and kids. The furthest Ill go is a few location pics on holiday or anonymous studio shots.

You do point to a problem though, at some point you have to pull off the mask if you want to move up the ladder. Matt has handled it all very adroitly I think. Reckon if by some miracle I ever get published Ill use a plausible pseudonym.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
I'm so egotistical and dumb I splurged my name and actual identity all over the Internet. Then again, I always expected to be doomed by this age.

we're all doomed

i wonder if eton does classes on social media now, given that future prime ministers had better make sure they've not knobbed a pig on camera etc

luka

Fashion Advice
In/Out
The Pit/The Peak
To Hear/To Speak
To Leak/To Seal
Porosity/The Vacuum
The Curve/The Straight
Impression/Fixation
Between/At
Now/Then
Going/There