recommend something hard, machinic, rhythmic and psychedelic

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Carl Crack's (RIP) solo LP Black Ark for sure

p much a direct anticipation of Dean Blunt, but even way more lo-fi + filtered through jungle, gabba, noise, dub + being a black dude in Germany

definitely the most interesting of the ATR crew (Christoph de Babalon 2nd-most interesting

padraig (u.s.)

alrite that's all my current thoughts in the absence of any further direction

I do enjoy this trying to develop a concept/aesthetic thing. like the cosmic guys putting together cosmic.

alec.tron

Creature of Meat and Hair
You had him in the initial post... but one of the few things can think of connecting funk, machine & dark ish stuff would be Brian Chippendale's solo Black Pus thing.

Potentially Eardrum and/or Muzlimgauze, if Skidoo23 is a somewhat right direction.... alas the organic/oriental drums play against the machine-ness somewhat...

c.

Leo

lots of examples of the first few characteristics but the psychedelic/miles part is what makes it more difficult. if you ever find this combination somewhere, please tell us!

granted not 100% what you're looking for, these touch some of the bases:

not as noisy as the others, some sax creeps in around the 4:00 mark.

on LIES, with "network" sample...

includes drummer from sepultura...

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
not machinic, but still, the kind of thing you can imagine 23 Skidoo sampling/being inspired by (besides gamelan I mean)

yeh good that. maybe machinic was the wrong word. but fluid and contained. still having a groove you can get stuck in. not like the more anti-groove free jazz.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Carl Crack's (RIP) solo LP Black Ark for sure

p much a direct anticipation of Dean Blunt, but even way more lo-fi + filtered through jungle, gabba, noise, dub + being a black dude in Germany

definitely the most interesting of the ATR crew (Christoph de Babalon 2nd-most interesting

yeh got that. great record.

padraig (u.s.)

ya that's v good. nails the 4th world vibe, like it simultaneously comes from all places but also from nowhere in particular - from an imaginary creole in which individual cultural borrowing can no longer be easily discerned, what Hassell was after with the concept. not Dillinja Blade Runner, but Blade Runner of "the gibberish he talked was cityspeak, gutter talk, a mishmash of Japanese, Spanish, German, what have you", Blade Runner as postcolonial discourse. not surprised it came from Serbia, I'll bet dude grew up on the great YU postpunk scene

made me think of this great record, v 4th world (tho you can tell they were also familiar w/contemporary NY club music)
the Invisible City Editions guy - who normally has impeccable taste - rated that 1 star on discogs + I'm completely mystified

padraig (u.s.)

the whole galaxy of August Darnell/Ze projects - Dr. Buzzard's, Kid Creole, Gichy Dan, etc - are relevant

not hard in the least but incredibly high production value postmodern take on creole/mulatto, plus a bunch of those records knock

padraig (u.s.)

o ya way earlier here. knock off + I'll post a couple more things + we/everyone can continue tomorrow or whenever.

padraig (u.s.)

Miami bass comes to mind. Miami (probably my favorite city) is totally 4th world, and bass fulfills hard, rhythmic, machinic, not really psychedelic.

for sure hard machine funk for brown people tho - witness its diaspora to global bass musics generally + specifically its huge popularity in Brazil

specifically the harder ca. 86 + beyond Amos Larkin sound (as opposed to the earlier Pretty Tony Miami electro proto-bass template)

this is one of the first true bass records, Larkins

a little later once it's started speeding up, disembodied/distorted voice a bit reminiscent of the darker Chicago acid records

padraig (u.s.)

actually that's all I have for now

was gonna say Bad Brains to begin with, but they never managed to unite the blazing hardcore with the reggae, two separate worlds. also their reggae sucked.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
On L.I.E.S.:

Maybe a bit too polished sonically, but the rhythmic slippage here:

Hollywood Africa via Detroit MPC:

Obvious but:

Thanks for the thread, has made me want to create something appropriate.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I rarely got fucked by music by listening to it at home, usually it was live music, occasionally DJs. A memorable one was getting fucked by Claude Young at some Colin Faver night.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LldZr1ylPV4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>