Cambridge Analytica + Psyops + The Beast

droid

FTC apparently says that these violations could result in $40,000 fines.

PER PERSON.

Thats 2 trillion $.

droid

FTC apparently says that these violations could result in $40,000 fines.

PER PERSON.

Thats 2 trillion $.

Actually, this is wrong. Its $40,000 a day per violation.

Facebook's total equity is $74.347 billion.

Its extremely unlikely but there is a pathway there to complete annihilation and bankruptcy if the political will was there.

vimothy

yurp
Form the Guardian article Droid just posted:

Kogan said: "The project that Cambridge Analytica has allegedly done, which is use people’s Facebook data for micro-targeting, is the primary use case for most data on these platforms. Facebook and Twitter and other platforms make their money through advertising and so there’s an agreement between the user of ‘hey, you will get this amazing product that costs billions of dollars to run and in return we can sell you to advertisers for micro-targeting’.”

vimothy

yurp
In the final weeks before Election Day, a scary statistic emerged from the databases at Barack Obama’s Chicago headquarters: half the campaign’s targeted swing-state voters under age 29 had no listed phone number. They lived in the cellular shadows, effectively immune to traditional get-out-the-vote efforts.

For a campaign dependent on a big youth turnout, this could have been a crisis. But the Obama team had a solution in place: a Facebook application that will transform the way campaigns are conducted in the future. For supporters, the app appeared to be just another way to digitally connect to the campaign. But to the Windy City number crunchers, it was a game changer. “I think this will wind up being the most groundbreaking piece of technology developed for this campaign,” says Teddy Goff, the Obama campaign’s digital director.

That’s because the more than 1 million Obama backers who signed up for the app gave the campaign permission to look at their Facebook friend lists. In an instant, the campaign had a way to see the hidden young voters. Roughly 85% of those without a listed phone number could be found in the uploaded friend lists. What’s more, Facebook offered an ideal way to reach them. “People don’t trust campaigns. They don’t even trust media organizations,” says Goff. “Who do they trust? Their friends.”

http://swampland.time.com/2012/11/20/friended-how-the-obama-campaign-connected-with-young-voters/

luka

vimothy is still labouring under the delusion that if he just shares links to enough of his facts all those around him will spontaneously start to share his (unstated) conclusions. after all these years you'd think he'd realise it's wishful thinking.

you have to spread your whole ballsack on the table. be partisan. fight your corner. it's the art of the manly warrior.

luka

you cant get praise for posting a link. you cant receive your pat on the back. it's a low-risk, low-reward investment strategy.

vimothy

yurp
a noble sentiment in some respects, but where I come from its considered gauche to spread your ballsack around the table too much. we all know its there, okay? we dont need to see it all the time

luka

i dont know how they do things up north vim but this isnt the north and we want to see it. dont be coquettish.

luka

i noticed dominic fox (computer boffin, used to post here) was saying the same thing about them when they first starting popping up in the news. i just dont understand why you dont just say i, vimothy, think this is all completely overblown and is just the latest attempt by enraged and increasinlgy desperate liberals, to get some leverage on trump (and possibily brexit)
which it is.

luka

which is not to say it's not underhand or Machiavellian, just that underhand and Machiavellian is politics as usual.

luka

just go steaming in, fists flying, elbows everywhere, like craner does. rather than give us 100 links all saying the same thing, none of which we'll read. that's my personal opinion that i have to share or it will drive me mad. better out than in.

vimothy

yurp
Well I sort of did didn't I. Also these conversations happen across multiple different venues with different groups of ppl, posting the same message over and over again would get boring.

luka

Well I sort of did didn't I.
enough for us lot, who are all very familiar with you, to read between the lines, sure.

Also these conversations happen across multiple different venues with different groups of ppl, posting the same message over and over again would get boring.
dont understand.

luka

they want to magic wish him out of power. it might happen but i dont think its necessarily the best use of their time and resources. it strikes me as a denial of reality. which is why they lost in the 1st place.

vimothy

yurp
My first two posts in this thread were models of clarity - you obviously didnt read 'em, now you're heckling me about how much of your ballsack you can fit on the table, not sure what prompted this luka

luka

they shiuld be just battering him incessantly, stamping on his ankle, biting his ear, busting his lip open, elbowing him in the face, pulling his hair, gouging his eye, rupturing his ear drum, shattering bone
not just hoping for one magic KO punch out of nowhere. that's my opinion.